O the Shame! O the Humiliation!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey JBHonk, Honk!!

Move over!!!

Coming through....

Slower traffic to the right please....

insurance-wheelchair.jpg
I am not worthy to ride with men.... [or women like Penguini and FJRChk]... :(

1.) I didn't know it was a race.
Oh, all right, Mad, if you wanna go and get all serious on us and everything, I will say....

This morning I was (WAS) scootin' along pretty good, when up behind me comes a bike. The guy was moving faster in tight traffic than I felt safe, so I gladly pulled over to let him fly by. It was a Harley, so I don't think he had the performance characteristics to be dancing on that knife edge up between tight, fast-moving cars in curves, in case he had to brake or swerve.

I have passed many motorcycles in rush hour, and I have been passed by many. If that granny in the wheelchair is crazier than I am and willing to get herself killed lane sharing up next to a semi, then knock yourself out: you win.

Jb

Man of Infinite Sorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
No biggie. I got passed by one of these once.
MP3500_large.jpg

But I was in my cage -- which has less HP than the feej, I might add.
And what's up with the 2 wheels up front? What's the point?
There's no kickstand to plant on your foot.

There's no low speed tip-overs.

Your feet don't need to reach all the way to the ground.

There are probably a few guys who could appreciate such a machine. (You know who you are; no need to come out of that closet.)

1.) I didn't know it was a race.
Oh, all right, Mad, if you wanna go and get all serious on us and everything, I will say....

Jb

Man of Infinite Sorrow
Actually, I was first thinking that the Bart Simpson defense should be invoked: "I didn't do it, man. It didn't happen! If nobody saw me do it , then I didn't do it. Anyone got pictures?"

Then I began to meditate on the scenario and have come to the startling conclusion that this is all part of a new venue for the author, James Burleigh: Fiction! C'mon, Hans, admit it, you made this up as your first attempt at published fiction rather than the narrative style used in your other novels, short stories and ride reports. Right?

SCOOTER! :eek: Suzuki Burgman 650

I can never be seen in public again. I am now living in the basement, eating dinner scraps that Fang brings me, and drinking the moisture from the walls.... My life is over..... :(

Jb
JB,

Oh the shame! givin props to a scoot, I think you should leave now. :unsure:

I have a Majesty 400 in the garage. Fine at 70+, would do 100+ in a pinch.

Burgy 650 is the biggest on the US market right now. The Piaggo MP3 now comes in a 500cc size, has a 40 degree lean angle, and you never have to put a foot down if you don't want to.

Don't feel bad JB, maybe she was in a hurry to get to her lamaz class...
C
That's good! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After sleeping on it I was ready to forgive JB -- after all it could have been a lot worse. He could have been passed by a Harley.

Now he posts up that today he got passed by a Harley :huh: JB -- You are really making this difficult! :rolleyes:

Whoa, big fella! The AE ain't no scooter! I can't comfortably wear a skirt on it like I can on a Vespa.
Well, that answers a question no one asked! :bad:

As for JB, if his dick is so small that he worries about who passes him, damn, sucks to be him. ;)

Wasn't it Carlin that said that anyone faster than you is a jackass and anyone slower than you is a moron? Lets not go assigning skill to someone just because they choose to ride faster in traffic. :wacko:

I could say "It sucks to be you" but I think I'll go with "Chit happens"! Just kidding. It could happen to ANY of use (man I sure hope not).

Tom

Don't ride faster than you can accurately scan the horizon for hidden LEO's....

Anybody who wants to pass me can go right ahead....

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a Burgman 400 before I bought my FJR. I loved that scoot. I rode the balls off it all last summer... averaged 73 mpgs over the course of the summer (650 gets less I'm sure).

For the guy who was curious, the big Burgman is 650ccs, Silverwing is 600. My 400 topped out around 100... I'm not sure what the 650 will do. I've heard the bottom/mid-range on the 400 and the 650 are about the same, but the 650 has a higher top end... mostly due to the 400 being a single slammer and the 650 being a dual.

I used to get waves all the time on my scoot... crotch rocket guys, other scoot guys (rare), even cruisers and Harleys. I'd always get tons of questions about it - how much did it cost, how fast did it go, how many mpgs did it get, etc. etc. They're pretty fun to rip around on, and the low center of gravity makes them really easy to ride and really fun to corner. I ran the tires to the ragged edge on mine, and the dudes at the bike shop couldn't believe it when I traded it in. haha

Good times on that scoot. :)

JB,

I know this is late in the thread history but; I am laughing with you, not at you. My last bike was a Suzuki Burgman 650. There are many misconceptions about the bike.

When asked, and I was asked many times; is a motorcycle or a scooter? My answer was always - YES IT IS!

The Burgman has the same engine as the SV bikes except it was a parallel and not a V-twin; 638 cc. The top speed I attained before my ass chewed through the seat was 124 mph on the speed-O and I still had throttle left to go!

It loved to cruse between 75 and 80 mph. 0 to 60 was for me some where in the 7-8 seconds range and 60 -100 was another 9 seconds on top of that.

The Burgman has more standard storage that the FJR, ST1300 or even any of the R & K BMW's (61 liters under the seat)

It is an awesome bike and one of the few reason I traded up to an FJR was because the shoptards around here did not know how to work on them, frustrated the piss out of me too! :angry2:

I still go riding with a couple of buddy's who ride their Burgman's and I can out accelerate them but they catch back up in no time. And as far as handling goes; there are many pictures on killboy.com of Burgman's doing the dragon leaned over at some outrageous angles on those curves. So don't be humiliated by being passed by a Burgman. I am afraid that in the near future when Suzuki bumps that motor up to say a 1250 cc like the Bandit has, that scooter will be giving all of us a serious run for our money!

Violione

OBX_Burgman004-1.jpg
OBX_Burgman110-1.jpg