oe top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wirefire

Reaction score
I just installed my new oem top box and backrest on my new fjr, when I Purchached my bike I financed an aftermarket Shad box and bracket with backrest for around 3 bills, but a week later a trip to my dealership revealed that the whole mess was backordered for around 2 months.... frak! So I told them to order the oem gear.. and I am glad I did. Easy to install, perfect fit and darn good looking ( better than the Shad ), for the extra 500$ :dribble: bucks it was worth it.

+1

Although other boxes like the Givi or Shad can be had for much less $ and hold more gear, I think the stock box looks the best. I don't usually travel with mine on unless I'm carrying a passenger, taking a long trip or plan on carrying my laptop. The bike looks better naked and doesn't shimmy like it does with trunk and no passenger. There's always trade-offs!

when i got my bike i got the yamaha top case at what the dealer said was his cost. i don't remember the exact price but it was less than i could find any givi for. it doesn't hold a lot for how big it is but i think it looks good and is well made. i only run it on trips or with the wife and have noticed poor handling with it on and no passenger but had the same thing on friends fjr with givi. i made a custome mount for it fitted to my wife. it moves the trunk down slightly and back a lot. wife likes it but now wants floorboards and arm rests.

when i got my bike i got the yamaha top case at what the dealer said was his cost. i don't remember the exact price but it was less than i could find any givi for. it doesn't hold a lot for how big it is but i think it looks good and is well made. i only run it on trips or with the wife and have noticed poor handling with it on and no passenger but had the same thing on friends fjr with givi. i made a custome mount for it fitted to my wife. it moves the trunk down slightly and back a lot. wife likes it but now wants floorboards and arm rests.
I remember your custom setback trunk mount - nice looking piece! Copying your setup is on my list of things to do. I made a Custom Mount also, but it raises the trunk up and I'd rather keep it lower for less affect on CG and stronger mounting.

I just installed my new oem top box and backrest on my new fjr, when I Purchached my bike I financed an aftermarket Shad box and bracket with backrest for around 3 bills, but a week later a trip to my dealership revealed that the whole mess was backordered for around 2 months.... frak! So I told them to order the oem gear.. and I am glad I did. Easy to install, perfect fit and darn good looking ( better than the Shad ), for the extra 500$ :dribble: bucks it was worth it.

I found that with the oem , the box pushed the passenger too far forward on the rear seat and with the back rest it was an unrideable position. She is not a big woman being only 120 lbs. We went to the Givi top box. Perfect color match and only about 350 bucks, plus the mounting hardware. I extended the mounting brackets by welding two replacement plates underneath the mounitng bracket ( welding by outside source)---- the system permits a lean back by the passenger and I saved about three hundred bucks.

I found that with the oem , the box pushed the passenger too far forward on the rear seat and with the back rest it was an unrideable position. She is not a big woman being only 120 lbs. We went to the Givi top box. Perfect color match and only about 350 bucks, plus the mounting hardware. I extended the mounting brackets by welding two replacement plates underneath the mounitng bracket ( welding by outside source)---- the system permits a lean back by the passenger and I saved about three hundred bucks.

my wife also didn't like the trunk position on my friends fjr and i planed on modifying it when we got ours. then when the trunk mount was unavailable thru yamaha it forced me to make my own. i'm glad i did it allowed me to place the trunk exactly where my wife wanted it and make it out of something besides plastic. when the trunks not there i have a sturdy rack to put things on. it looks kinda industrial but not as bad as patriots horns. :p

My wife asked me not to install the backrest on our Gen I OEM trunk to give her a little extra room. Given her 50k miles of seat time I guess it is working out for her :) I also installed a peg lowering kit which helped her position on the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
my wife also didn't like the trunk position on my friends fjr and i planed on modifying it when we got ours. then when the trunk mount was unavailable thru yamaha it forced me to make my own. i'm glad i did it allowed me to place the trunk exactly where my wife wanted it and make it out of something besides plastic. when the trunks not there i have a sturdy rack to put things on. it looks kinda industrial but not as bad as patriots horns. :p
My wife and kids like, just fine, the oem trunk with backrest pillion riding position. And my wife, the AIW (angelic italian wifey) is ahhhhhhh, a bit stoutly and gauges the feejer as or more comfortable as my ole '83 Wing Interstate. She especially like the wide-ish Sargeant seat which is both driver and passenger. Course, you may dismiss this whole post :blink: and my wife and my tastes. She likes the stebel air horn TOG and a good vacation for me is to club baby seals in the artic. :rolleyes:

3302053092_b3cb32216b.jpg

3302053098_3e64bb6e25.jpg

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'