Oil Filter Cost And Alternatives

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Nardy

Reaction score
What is a reasonable and customary cost for an FJR oil filter from the dealer? My dealer (Du Page Honda/Yamaha in West Chicago, IL) just charged me $11.99. I think that is pretty steep. What alternatives exist? I've heard bad things about Fram filters so I'd like to stay away from them but if anyone knows of other alternatives for a reasonable cost I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks,

Joe

I shamelessly lifted the below post from "the other forum" a while back:

"OIL FILTER CROSS REFERENCE

AC Delco PF-2057

Bosch 3323 (known to work okay)

Carquest 85356 — reportedly will not seal!

Castrol 7317

Deutsch D-370

FRAM PH7317 (fits OK but 40% more restrictive than the OEM filter!)

K&N KN-148

Mobil 1 M1-110 (known to work okay)

A plus is that the color is almost a match for the alt cover.

Motorcraft Long Life FL-821

NAPA Gold 1356 — reportedly will not seal!

Penske 7317

Purolator Pure One L14620 — reportedly will not seal!

Purolator PL14610 — (known to work okay) (O’Reilly’s Micro-Gard GL14610 the same)

STP S-02867

WIX 51356 — reportedly will not seal! (worked on my FZ1, but haven't tried it on the FJR). Ian, Iowa

I have a Purolator Pure One PL14610 on my '05 right now. Fits right, no leaks, no drips, no errors. More info(if you have lots of time):motorcycleinfo.calsci.com...rXRef.html"

I shamelessly lifted the below post from "the other forum" a while back:
"OIL FILTER CROSS REFERENCE

AC Delco PF-2057

Bosch 3323 (known to work okay)

Carquest 85356 — reportedly will not seal!

Castrol 7317

Deutsch D-370

FRAM PH7317 (fits OK but 40% more restrictive than the OEM filter!)

K&N KN-148

Mobil 1 M1-110 (known to work okay)

A plus is that the color is almost a match for the alt cover.

Motorcraft Long Life FL-821

NAPA Gold 1356 — reportedly will not seal!

Penske 7317

Purolator Pure One L14620 — reportedly will not seal!

Purolator PL14610 — (known to work okay) (O’Reilly’s Micro-Gard GL14610 the same)

STP S-02867

WIX 51356 — reportedly will not seal! (worked on my FZ1, but haven't tried it on the FJR). Ian, Iowa

I have a Purolator Pure One PL14610 on my '05 right now. Fits right, no leaks, no drips, no errors. More info(if you have lots of time):motorcycleinfo.calsci.com...rXRef.html"

[SIZE=14pt]AWESOME![/SIZE]

I couldn't have asked for a quicker or more complete reply!

THANKS!

Joe

I've used both PURE-ONE oil filters, no leaks.

Honda auto filters. One for Insight, shorter the other fits everything else they make. 87 to present day.

OEM Honda filters made by FRAM, not the best.

Where'd you hear this? Sounds like wild urban-legend internet rumor to me. Most folks think the Honda filters are pretty good.

- Mark

I've been using the Mobil 1 M1-110 filter, around $10 at AutoZone. I like it because it matches the gray color on the rest of the engine. Otherwise I'd use the dark blue Purolator PL14610, which works fine and is cheaper.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Don't know if they have one for the FJR, but might!

https://www.scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html

edit: looks like they do

Reusable oil filter. If you change your oil alot, it's worth it. You can transfer from bike to bike also. Still quite a bit at $119 though, but it'll be the last you'll buy.

425.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MNFJR05 uses a Scott, they do make one for the feej. Way spendy, in the neighborhood of $120. Not very cost effective IMHO, take a whole lotta changes to pay for itself. Add to this some concerns about difficulty in cleaning, to the point where some blockage (and the resulting loss in flow) are inevitable. Have seen this myself in other mesh filters of this type. It does look nice however. For the record, I also use the Pure1 PL14610.

Using a Pure One right now and have used the Napa Gold (WIX) before. They work well on the bike. Use Napa on the wife's V-Strom. Have heard really good things about Baldwin filters so I ordered a couple for the FJR yesterday...

John.

Call Gary @ university motors Gary-the real McCoy

He has a lot of FJR parts. 15% over cost, any time I need something I alway get a few oil filters. Last one's I got where around $7.50 for a Yamaha filter. He ships every day. Great people.....Smitty ;)

Where'd you hear this? Sounds like wild urban-legend internet rumor to me. Most folks think the Honda filters are pretty good.

- Mark
The website referenced above by Staledonut, https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

has a nice writeup about oil filters. It details why Fram filters are not the best..........

Thanks,

Joe
I agree - I don't think Frams are very good either. That was not my point - my point was that I have never heard of Fram making Honda filters and I doubt this is true. Most reports show Honda OEM filters being pretty good.

There have been some reports of Yamaha filters not being the best, but $12 every 4K miles hardly seems onerous and if there was a lubricatiion related failure under warranty, I'd feel a lot better showing receipts for Yamaha filters rather than something else. So I think OEM's are a prudent choice.

- Mark

I don't use the Pure1 because of cost, though they are less $ than the Yami filter. I don't use it because it is more readily available, even though it is, at PepBoys all over. I use it because it tests out as the best filter out there.

I just bought a ST7317 at Walmart to keep in my tail bag in the unlikely event that the one on the bike picks a fight with a wayward stone, etc. (Its happened to others). Its the same as a Bosch but only cost $2.07. Its black. I have a PureOne 14610 on there right now 'cause its a purty blue color.

If you decide to stick with the OEM, you can get the Yamaha filters at FJRGoodies for $7.95. Stock up and get a pile of the crush washers, air filters at the same time. This shop supports FJR owners big time and Warchild is known to frequent the premises. :agent:

https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

I've had better luck phoning in the order rather than e-mail, but they may have upgraded recently.

As far as the crush washers go, I replaced them with copper washers meant for brake/hydraulic fittings. Reuseable forever, same torque new or used, never a leak.