Oil Filter Cost And Alternatives

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations! You resurrected a thread a thread that was over 17 months old....and used ALL CAPS AT THE SAME TIME. It's off to the threads new home......NEPRT
So what ? Ignacio....... is that a crime?

Heh, heh - Boy, I can't wait for this response...

My moneys on Iggy :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI- INFO ON THE FIRST POST IS NOT EXACTLY CORRECT REGARDING THE MOTORCRAFT PART NUMBER. THE FL-821 DOES NOT WORK, PLUS IT'S DORKY WHITE IN COLOR.
THE MOTORCRAF FILTER THAT FITS IS AN FL-2007. HAVE BEEN USING THIS FILTER SINCE DAY ONE ON MY FJR, WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. AS A SIDE NOTE, IT COMES GREY IN COLOR THAT IS A NEAR MATCH TO THE ENGINE COLOR. ABOUT 5 BUCKS AT THE DEALER.

ONE OTHER BIT OF INFO, FORD MOTORCRAFT FILTERS INCORPORATE AN ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE. IN SHORT, IS WILL NOT ALLOW OIL UP IN THE ENGINE TO DRAIN BACK THROUGH THE FILTER UPON ENGINE SHUT DOWN. WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? PRECIOUS OIL GETS TO MOVING PARTS FASTER UPON STARTUP WHEN THE OIL IS ALREADY UP THERE RATHER THAN HAVING TO BE PUMPED UP FROM THE PAN. MOST AFTERMARKET FILTERS DO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE.
Ok since I need an oil filter and this thread is dead I thought I would resurect it with some bad speling :)

Went to Wally world's of fun and bought me a fram PH7317 then read this thread and took it back :)

Anybody ever cut open their oil filter and have a look to see how it's built?

Just for kicks I hack sawed my OEM filter open and found the media is not paper. Have a look...

DSC00632.jpg

It uses a plastic cage with some type of filter fiber bonded to it. This filter saw 4000 miles. It was quite tough when I started picking at it.Looks like it's got plenty of surface area...

DSC00631.jpg

The blue disk is the drain back valve. It fits up to the thick steel base plate quite nicely...

DSC00633.jpg

I'd say Yamaha has a good design with this filter cartridge. I think it's worth $12 every 4000 miles. But that's just my opinion.

DSC00630.jpg

i also cut a used Yamaha filter and also the Mobil one.

the Mobil is a more conventional design with paper media, steel center tube etc. It also has a relief valve, in the event that the filter gets too dirty causing excessive differential pressure across the filter. The yamaha doesn't have this so i am assuming it has some type of bypass valve integral to the engine.

in reality the only true way to tell is run SAE J906 multipass oil filter test. this would give a measurement of the capacity and efficiency of various filters. the jap car companies used to go for capacity over efficiency. not sure if that is still true or not. With the available filter media that was the trade off, efficecy or capacity. i have been out of that business for over ten years so new filter meidas may have been developed.

anyone have a spare test stand in their garage?

I'd love to see where the Yamaha OEM filter stands amongst it's peers. In the mean time, at 4000 mile oil & filter changes I don't think I need worry about the filter clogging up.

One other thing while on the subject of oil filters, I was hitting up several Yamaha parts counters in my area looking for a drain plug from the differential. I planned to use it for the motor oil drain plug. It has a magnet to catch iron particles. I had it in my Venture and it always had stuff on it when I changed oil. No one had it in stock, and I didn't want to special order just 1 small item. Oh Well.

One of the parts counters had this out on display...

DSC00636.jpg

Thought I'd try it out. It ran about 300 miles before the latest filter change. When I cut open the filter I saw a pattern of sediment in the form of the 8 magnets on the inside of the can. Seems to me it can't hurt. We'll see what it looks like in another 2 months ( 4000 miles. The neat thing about it is you don't know it's there until you service the filter, then its just a matter of remove the filter, slip it off and slip it on the next one.

DSC00635.jpg

Worth a try.

Thought I'd revive a dead thread to tip off folks that the Purolator PL14610 PureONE oil filter can be had on Amazon right now for 5.88 for a 2 pack. Under 3 bucks for a good filter sounds sweet to me.

SCOTTS FILTERS

I read the threads on on these filters and saw the All About Oil Filters link so I went to it. I E-Mailed Scotts and sent them this link.

This is what I sent them and the return E-Mail that I received from them. I thought you would be interested.

I purchased a Scotts filter for my 07 FJR. I am also a

member of the FJR.com. There are threads about the use

of your filter and one directed us to a web site

discussing filters including yours. Could you address

this sites concerns about your filter? I would like to

be able to redirect the benifit of using your filter

to the FJR group.

Thanks

KR

Here is the web site and the verbiage about your

filter.

https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

That web site has been around for some time now. If you look at the

beginning of his dissertation you will see that he prefaces it by

stating

that he is not technical in this field. You will also notice that he

has no

testing to rely on. He looks at some filters he cut apart, makes some

assumptions and then forms an "opinion".

As far as him thinking the technology not being ready to use yet, we

better

inform the aerospace program, military aircraft mechanics, race teams,

medical applications as well as every day users that have been trusting

this

technology for decades.

ASTM lab tests have shown that our filter exceeds the filtration

performance

of stock filters (as well as the aftermarket filters we've tested). Be

careful of marketing numbers that are thrown around for supposed filter

micron ratings (this is an hour long discussion by itself!).

Where we really shine is in the flow rates. In fact our filter can be

80%

plugged and still flow more oil than a stock paper filter. If there is

one

or two particles that don't come loose from the surface of the filter

element during a cleaning, it's not going to significantly affect the

performance of the filter. High flow rates also impact performance due

to

the reduced parasitic horsepower drain (we recently obtained dyno

numbers

from Santa Barbara Harley Davidson showing a 5 hp gain with our filter

over

stock). It also helps keep the bypass closed during cold startup and

high

rpm operation (it doesn't matter how good a filter is if the oil is

bypassing the filter media).

When looking at surface area of the element, more is not always better.

Think about the pleats being so close together that you effectively

negate

the filtering and flow capabilities of the sides of the pleats. Paper

filters need to use more surface area to overcome their flow

characteristics.

Considering the technology, performance, quality and production cost of

our

filter vs. a stock tin can filter, $119 is a bargain. If you are

looking to

scrimp, do it somewhere else besides your oil and oil filter. You paid

a

lot of money for your machine. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine.

Think

about it...

As an additional note, our filters are being run by multiple

competitive

race teams (pro stock cars, top fuel motorcycles, pro stock

motorcycles, pro

sport motorcycles...) These folks understand the technology and

benefits.

We don't take it lightly when someone trusts a multi million dollar

race

effort to our product.

Having said all of this, we're glad people want to check things out.

There

are some similar products out there (some are overseas knock offs of

our

filters that even use our pictures in their advertising!). The

performance

and quality of some of these filters are quite poor. Make sure you

are

getting a quality product (Scotts is top shelf in customer service as

well)

I would invite you to visit our web site's Q&A area for additional

information www.KandPEngineering.com as well as Scott's web site

www.scottsperformance.com . We will be updating the K&P Engineering

web

site with additional technical information in the not too distant

future.

Thanks for your purchase and for your interest in becoming better

informed.

The more you know about this subject, the better we look.

Enjoy that FJR!

for Scotts Performance

Dave Fisher

K&P Engineering

----- Original Message -----

To: <[email protected]>

Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 11:13 AM

Subject: FW: Your Oil Filter

I've used both PURE-ONE oil filters, no leaks. Honda auto filters. One for Insight, shorter the other fits everything else they make. 87 to present day.

OEM Honda filters made by FRAM, not the best.
OEM Honda M/C filters are made in Japan by Toyo Roki.

I sent Purolator an email asking customer service about using the the PureOne filters for motorcycles & or if they had a MC oil filter for the FJR. Here was the reply:

"As far as the PureOne filters, they are not motorcycle filters. They have never been tested on bikes because of the restriction level and therefore do not carry a warranty. The oil pump is larger on a car and can pump the oil through the filter but, the oil pumps are smaller on a bike and because of the restriction, may not be able to pump at the same pressure. We have a motorcycle line of filters equivalent to the original equipment but, I need your filter number to cross it into our line. "

May be able to pump at the same pressure does not instill confidence in using a car filter on a motorcycle. Too bad as I have extra PL14612 PureOne filters for my Mazda Miata that the forum listed as fitting the FJR. So I sent them the OEM, K&N, and EMGO filter numbers. The reply:

"I'm sorry but, I do not have a cross reference for none of the three numbers you gave me. Evidently it is a bike we do not have listed in our system yet."

Oh well, I'll just mail order six OEM filters then.

I am trying to understand why after spending $12K or more for a new FJR, a person would worry about a few extra bucks for whatever filter they happen to choose??

I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks to NOT have to go to Wally World - but that's just me.

I just switched to the Purolator PureOne PL14610. I bought a case of them for 8 bucks each (cheaper in the U.S.) This is the top rated oil filter according to SAE testing.

The stock Yamaha filter is made by Denso which is garbage. Just about any other filter you can buy is better (and cheaper).

I am trying to understand why after spending $12K or more for a new FJR, a person would worry about a few extra bucks for whatever filter they happen to choose??I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks to NOT have to go to Wally World - but that's just me.
+1! and no, it's not just you...

Yeah, from the owner's manual you can use a filter for two oil changes -- 8,000 miles.

$12 / 8000 miles = $0.0015 = 0.15 pennies per mile

Certainly much less expensive than tires.

Nothing really for the filter to catch after the engine has been operated for a few hundred miles. Maybe a chunk from a fiber clutch disc. Maybe bits and pieces of transmission gear dogs, etc.

2 things....

I'm highly skeptical about the Scott's rep claiming a 5 hp increase just by changing to their oil filter... as a certain mod has said recently... YGTBSM!

Re: Purolator filters not being motorcycle specific... while they might not have been designed for bikes, there sure are a lot of people running them, and you'd think if they were going to cause problems, we'd have seen them by now.

Thought I'd revive a dead thread to tip off folks that the Purolator PL14610 PureONE oil filter can be had on Amazon right now for 5.88 for a 2 pack. Under 3 bucks for a good filter sounds sweet to me.
This is where I get both SV filters and FJR PL14610. I use a amazon credit card and get gift certs for use at Amazon.com. I rarely buy filters with money. And when you have to mail order insulin pump supplies with a credit card for your kid, bonus bucks add up quick. Get a diabetic kid get free oil filters. F'ing crappy trade. :angry2:

I am trying to understand why after spending $12K or more for a new FJR, a person would worry about a few extra bucks for whatever filter they happen to choose??I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks to NOT have to go to Wally World - but that's just me.
I don't think I am "worried" over spending more money on my bike..but the point being ..that the 2 dollar filter and Wal-mart is likely just as good as the 12 dollar filter at your dealer.

So if you like spending money needlessly, go for it. Down here we call folks that think "if it costs more it just has to be better","suckers" ....

KM

Hey, Knifemaker:

I agree with you. I thought the purpose of a forum was informing others of what works, what doesn't, how to do things etc. If a 2 dollar filter works as well as a 12 dollar filter then let it be known. Those that want to pay 2 should and those who want to pay 12 should do that. By the way, here, the 2 dollar filter is 3.25 and the factory filter is almost 16 bucks.

This forum should post its rules: Thou shall not mention oil, filter, tires etc etc. Man, it's a big ole world out there and everyone doesn't see it the same way. Some people like a bargain and some like to pay full price and there's a whole bunch of people in the middle.

People who say if you can afford a FJR can afford a 12 dollar filter is like saying if you can afford a FJR then you can afford 4 dollars a gallon for gas or 5, or 6 or 7. Oh yeah, we have people like that. They are called oil companies.

Hopefully forum memebers will stick to giving us information and let us decide what to do with it. Just FYI my last filter was a factory one. And, the words oil and filter are not four letter words. Just my 2 cents.