Oil Filter Cost And Alternatives

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the crush washers go, I replaced them with copper washers...
Hey, don't try to parlay this 'dreaded oil filter' debate into a 'dreaded crush washer' debate. I kinda like the feel of that crush, as I ease that drain bolt into the mysterious aluminum hole without fear of stripping its threads... :eek:mg:

psssst...By the way, got a source for that copper part you mentioned? :pirate:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda OEM AUTO filters are made by Honeywell. Same maker of Fram.

There is 2 types I see at work. Blue filter.

Say's Honeywell on side, the other Filtertech.

Don't know who makes Filtertech model.

They both look different than Fram filter,holes and gasket not the same.

Honda bike filters are black, made in Japan most likely.

As far as the crush washers go, I replaced them with copper washers meant for brake/hydraulic fittings. Reuseable forever, same torque new or used, never a leak.
I could not get a crush washer at the two local dealers last week so I broke down and took Radman's advice on the copper washers. I bought four of them so that I could replace all three crush washers and have a spare justin case. The ones I got were just a little too tight to fit over the drain plug threads so I opened them up with my dremel. Now they go on pretty easy but are still tight enough that they don't fall off easily.

Put one on the oil drain plug and so far, about 500 miles later, no dripping.

I took the original crush washer off the final drive fill plug and went into my local Auto Zone to get the copper ones. Had to match them by eye. Cost me about 50 cents a piece.

Thanks for the tip Radman.

The Scotts' filter is the whip:

1.) It's cleanable/reusable. Which makes for less planning needed to change the oil

2.) has cooling fins.

3.) Lightweight billet aluminum with a *STRONG* magnet in the oil stream.

4.) Looks extremely trick on the bike

5.) Filters to tens of microns. Can't recall the exact figure, but it's low

Yes, it's pricey. But it will pay for itself. Just the sheer convenience of not having to order, wait for, etc a new filter is worth it to me.

Same thing on the air filter. I use a UNI. Never have to wait for a new filter in the mail.

I use it because it tests out as the best filter out there.
I'm with Radman on this one, Pure One PL 14610.

However, it IS blue. And when I put it on my Silver '04, I lost 10mph in each gear. :cownoy:

FYI- INFO ON THE FIRST POST IS NOT EXACTLY CORRECT REGARDING THE MOTORCRAFT PART NUMBER. THE FL-821 DOES NOT WORK, PLUS IT'S DORKY WHITE IN COLOR.

THE MOTORCRAF FILTER THAT FITS IS AN FL-2007. HAVE BEEN USING THIS FILTER SINCE DAY ONE ON MY FJR, WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. AS A SIDE NOTE, IT COMES GREY IN COLOR THAT IS A NEAR MATCH TO THE ENGINE COLOR. ABOUT 5 BUCKS AT THE DEALER.

ONE OTHER BIT OF INFO, FORD MOTORCRAFT FILTERS INCORPORATE AN ANTI-DRAINBACK VALVE. IN SHORT, IS WILL NOT ALLOW OIL UP IN THE ENGINE TO DRAIN BACK THROUGH THE FILTER UPON ENGINE SHUT DOWN. WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? PRECIOUS OIL GETS TO MOVING PARTS FASTER UPON STARTUP WHEN THE OIL IS ALREADY UP THERE RATHER THAN HAVING TO BE PUMPED UP FROM THE PAN. MOST AFTERMARKET FILTERS DO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE.

Congratulations! You resurrected a thread a thread that was over 17 months old....and used ALL CAPS AT THE SAME TIME. It's off to the threads new home......NEPRT

Congratulations! You resurrected a thread a thread that was over 17 months old....and used ALL CAPS AT THE SAME TIME. It's off to the threads new home......NEPRT
So what ? Ignacio....... is that a crime?

just for the record , i been using wall mart st 7317 filters on my fjr since Oct 02 , ,,, 28,000 miles now,,,,,, $1.97 ........ also a staedy diet of shell Rotella Syn from "the Mart"...$16.00 a gallon....... if anybody gives a rats ass.!

To those thinking about the Scott high buck filter, I would recommend doing a bunch of surfing on the subject before buying. I did it a very long time ago, so I don't remember "exactly" what and where it was, but there is a group out there that has some very negative opinions of the Scott filter and its claims. I don't have any opinion one way or the other, but just saying it's worth looking into.

I thought about this and came back to edit my comment. Purolator One 14610, six bucks AND I would bet my last peso it filters better than the Scott by a bunch. Take $120 and divided by $6 and that is 20 oil changes. 4000 miles between changes make it 80,000 miles before you brake even. You have to go to the store to buy the oil, so picking up a filter ain't that tough. Spin off a Scott or Purolator, you still have a bit of a mess either way. I guess the only real argument is if you are a tree hugger and I'm not sure if that floats.

The S T-7317 oil filter from Wall Mart is manufactured by Champion. I read it on this forum so it has to be true. I use em, no leaks, and my oil talks to me and it says, " that Wall Mart filter sure filters the shit out of me". That's what it says. :crazy:

I don't use the Pure1 because of cost, though they are less $ than the Yami filter. I don't use it because it is more readily available, even though it is, at PepBoys all over. I use it because it tests out as the best filter out there.
In your neck of the woods don't forget Fleet Farm in Lakeville, MN as a source for Pur #1 filters - # 14610 :clapping:

I'll take my flogging in advance for this D U M (dumb) question .......but does anyone have the size, thead, pitch of the drain plug? ....want to pick x-tra up while i'm out getting other stuff toda .....hope to avoid taking the OEM one down to the parts store to match up.

The Scotts' filter is the whip:
1.) It's cleanable/reusable. Which makes for less planning needed to change the oil

2.) has cooling fins.

3.) Lightweight billet aluminum with a *STRONG* magnet in the oil stream.

4.) Looks extremely trick on the bike

5.) Filters to tens of microns. Can't recall the exact figure, but it's low

Yes, it's pricey. But it will pay for itself. Just the sheer convenience of not having to order, wait for, etc a new filter is worth it to me.

Same thing on the air filter. I use a UNI. Never have to wait for a new filter in the mail.
"But it will pay for itself" Do the math, I get Purolator One's for about $6 and they are outstanding filters, the Scott is about $120, that's 20 filters so break even is at 80,000 miles. Now throw in that Purolator One's also have an outstanding reputation and there are rumors that Scotts do have problems: Oil Filter Info at calsci

Walmart super teck 7317 $2.07. This is the exact same filter as the Bosch 3323.
[SIZE=24pt]+1[/SIZE]

...and it comes in Yamaha Black... Get it when you pick up your oil - I'm using.... Never Mind B)