OMG! He's asking about trailering an FJR!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteman11

Reaction score
OK, please everyone do not freak out but I have a question. I'm 300 miles from D&H. I ordered my new FJR from them this week :yahoo:

When it comes in, if it's bad weather or freezing cold, I'm going to pull my 4'x8' trailer over there and pick up my ride. I used to haul my Harley's on it. Anyway, can anyone give me any good insight on optimum attachment points for the hold down straps? Second part of question is, if the weather is good, I want to ride it home. I've read countless threads on here about break in and everyone has different opinions. Without opening a can of worms, can anyone tell me if a 300 mile ride home (mostly interstate) will be bad for the bike? Thanks!

300 miles is no problem. It's the same problem as one mile. :)

Remember that it's not how tight you get the straps, but the number of straps you use. I recommend the Canyon Dancer for attachment to the bars. Pick up at least two (preferably four) of the soft loop straps commonly sold at motorcycle dealers. I strap them around each of the passenger peg brackets and then attach tie-down straps to those. That makes four points (two bars, two peg straps).

For added protection against unwanted... sorry!

For a bit more piece of trailering mind, use two more straps around the lower triple clamp bracket and strap to those. Tie everything off, especially strap ends. Use masking tape to protect any potential rub areas.

Let me say again, it's not about how tight you cinch it down. That's the best way to damage suspension. Strap her in lots of places and she'll let you haul her around anywhere.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
During break-in, you want to vary the RPM's. Therefore, extended interstate riding during the break-in period would not be ideal.

Pray for good weather and ride it like a rental, then change oil as soon as you get home. JMHO.

I'll be keeping an eye on the trailer answers, as I may choose* to trailer the bike to NAFO this year. Wifee has some neck issues and isn't up for the 1140 miles each way in discomfort. Unless I can get a screamin' deal on some airfare and a rental car....

*Not come alone.

Remember that it's not how tight you get the straps, but the number of straps you use. I recommend the Canyon Dancer for attachment to the bars. Pick up at least two (preferably four) of the soft loop straps commonly sold at motorcycle dealers. I strap them around each of the passenger peg brackets and then attach tie-down straps to those. That makes four points (two bars, two peg straps).

Did a search on the Canyon Dancer rig. Thanks for the tip. That looks like the ticket.

So if I ride it home form D & H, interstate is ok as long as I keep on/off the throttle the entire way and then change the oil once I get home?

Just picked mine up last night, had 100 mile trek home on the interstate, lucky for me the one thing you will NEVER do on a SOCAL interstate is maintain any type of speed. What the dealer told me was not to maintain anyone RPM for any length of time and don't push it over 5k. So, I spent sometime in 3rd, some in 4th and 5th, and just worked back and forth between those three gears most of the time. Hit the occasion I-5 parking lot and creep so got in 1, 2 at times too. When I got it up here on the 14 and traffic opened up I worked it through the gears pretty good up and down the scales. If the weather holds today I will take it out to the canyons and work it some more through the twisties. :yahoo:

That is the word from the dealer. I won't change the oil till the 600 mile service and will take it in to let them do that and check the valve lash.

Enjoy it, the bike is probably the smoothess and most powerful machine I have felt. Well there is the R-1 sitting in the garage but, that is a horse of a differnt color.

I played with the adjust windshield most of the way home. I do wish they would of put memory in the shield so when you turn the bike back on it goes back to the position it was in when you turned it off. Aside from that, PERFECT!

hey, kite....what kind of gtr is that in yer avatar?
It's a Carvin CT6 Carved top. Hade it made for me last year. Quilted Deep Tiger eye finish, all black hardware, Floyd Rose with locking nut. Plays like a freakin' dream right out of the box. It was still in tune after being shipped from CA. Took 3 months from order time to delivery. Also have 1980 Les Paul Standard, '61 reissue Gibson Flying V, numerous Ibanez Roadstars (4), Fender acoustic, '92 model Peavey 5150 head, (2) 1986 model 4x12 white Marshall cabs, 2007 Hughes and Kettner Switchblade Midi/All tube head. Can you tell I love to talk about musical gear? Thanks for asking.

Get youself a Sport Chock from Baxley Mfg. and you'll only need 2 straps attached to the passsenger peg brackets.

I picked mine up in SOCal, put a 100 miles on it & rode it back to Phx area (350m) the next day in 117 deg heat across the desert ! I just varied the HWY speeds & stopped a lot for liquids . . . Foul weather & new to you bike may be best to trailer IMO.

mojaveFJR, Check the Bin -O-Facts for how to disconnect auto retract windshield. Also a Huge waste of money to do valve lash before 26k. At 26k most reports are no adj. was necessary.

OK... I'll admit to doing it once in a while.

Does this help? I compress the front fork an inch or two with the front strap and not the Canyon Dancer straps.

IMG_2565.jpg

Sorry about the woman blocking the view-- she was pretty happy to have another FJR at home.

B)

Just got this one last year. I also have the holdsworth H1 model and an LB75 fretless bass.
DSC02686.jpg

+87 for the Canyon Dancer-took Frank through thick and thin to WooFoo 5 using one on a UHaul trailer. worked perfectly. To Glenn, I say shove your Chickenshit theology up your ass....... :angry: Ain't needed nor called for here.......Odot, gittin downnnnnnnnn :p