Opinions on stock seat (Gen II)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrebandit

Reaction score
Purchased my FJR out of state and its first trip, with me on the stock seat, will be 1200 miles. I'm a short fat guy (5"8 @ 280 lbs) and was wondering what kind of pain I can expect? I see a lot of guys change out the seat for LD riding. Not an option for me on this long trip. Opinions? Tips?

My longest day was about 650 miles on a Corbin on my 1200 Bandit. That was no problem for me.

Dave

I'm a short fat guy (5"8 @ 280 lbs) and was wondering what kind of pain I can expect?
The problem is, no one knows. Everyone's butt is shaped different and just because you are a certain height/weight does not automatically mean you will or won't have pain over a given distance or time.

Not an option for me on this long trip. Opinions? Tips?Dave
Get a piece of dense packing foam and carry it with you. Or take a lambskin. Even sitting on a terry towel can help. Of course there's the "bead" thing. And make sure you get up off your butt on a regular basis.

A seat sized piece of dense foam helped me get through break in of a Corbin (if there is such a thing as breaking in a Corbin). I used the foam (about 2 inches thick uncompressed) off and on for the first 1000+ mile day. After that, I pitched it and I was fine. It was more my ass breaking in than the seat, I think.

QUOTE (terrebandit @ Jan 22 2009, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purchased my FJR out of state and its first trip, with me on the stock seat, will be 1200 miles. I'm a short fat guy (5"8 @ 280 lbs) and was wondering what kind of pain I can expect? I see a lot of guys change out the seat for LD riding. Not an option for me on this long trip. Opinions? Tips?

My longest day was about 650 miles on a Corbin on my 1200 Bandit. That was no problem for me.

Dave

I'm not an LD rider, but I have put many 5 to 8 hour stints on the stock saddle (obviously with comfort and fuel stops).

I find that so long as I move my backside occasionally (backwards to be hard against the lip for 10 seconds or so, or move to put one cheek in the middle) it stops any aches starting. It also means I remind myself to relax my arms and grip, so reducing potential aches in my arms, wrists and hands and improving control.

Read up the posture stuff. I can't find the original posting of the Master Yoda Riding position, but this link is to a shortened version. Ignore the writing style, pick out the substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new bike! Just wanted to reinforce what has already been said about sheepskin + the Master Yoda riding position. Those two things alone make the bike totally comfortable for me, without aftermarket seat, risers, etc.

First trip, wearing jeans, sitting on the stock vinyl, was misery. Next time, wearing leathers and sitting on sheepskin -- no discomfort.

Ride safe,

--

jm

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave
Clicky for Aerostitch small tapered sheepskin with foam backing works.

Plenty of prior threads to search for on other potential helps, too.

Welcome aboard.

Bob

Opinions? Tips?
Dave
Have it shipped to your house? :unsure:

Dave, do you ride a lot?

If not, 1200 miles on any motorcycle no matter what seat is kissing your ass could be tough and not just on the bottom but the back, knees and arms if you don't have some recent saddle time.

Plan to do this over a weekend or do you have more time?

As stated before, I think your best advice is to take it easy and break as often as is reasonable (not every 50 miles). Get off and walk around, drink fluids and enjoy the ride.

With all due respect, I'd worry more about your hands, wrists and knees.

Good luck.

Hi, I am a big guy who has put (around here it isn't much) 20K on a stock seat. This includes 6500 miles on a trip last summer. I did a 800+ mile day, and have done many 400-600 mile days but it is very individual, as others have said. I've tried beads but not much else.

A custom seat is in my future. In the meantime I have been talking with my brother who owns a 'Wing in Boston. He gave me a cheap solution I am going to try. I was going to try it then post the results on the forum later. It is a rubber, celled pad encased in a cover, about the size of a GoldWing seat. LD riders there say it helps (more than beads I hope). The details are in the following thread in a Wing forum:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread....rt+seat+cushion

The UPC code is: UPC number 23034 08640 6

Cost: $20 at my local Wallyworld

Warnings (per the thread): Do not leave in the sun as it will burn your backside; do not rip the label off because the cover rips.

Various permutations are discussed in the thread, including doubling up two in one cover, throwing sheepskin over a cushion, etc.

I bought two and my wife stole one for her hard computer chair and I haven't seen it since. I put one on my chair and now I'm buying two more for my project.

I'm going to put two of the celled rubber inner pads face-to-face, cut to the size of the stock FJR seat, then have them sewn into one cut down cushion cover. One problem it does cause is seat hight. You mentioned a shorter stature, and this solution raises seat hight about one inch. But for $20-$40 (whether you use one or two pads) it is worth a shot. Also not a bad idea if another solution you choose isn't working -- you could try the Walmart pad on the road.

Good luck on your FJR ownership journey.

For what it's worth (I'm 6'-0", 190 lbs.) I thought the stock seat was fine, until I did my first Saddle Sore 1000. After 1107 miles in 15 hours, I decided it had to be fixed. My new Russell (from the group buy) should arrive today or tomorrow. Based on feedback from other Russell owners, I'm expecting a huge improvement.

I have 20k on the stock seat now, including a SaddleSore 1000 ride (1000 miles in less than 24 hours). I ride a 50 mile roundtrip to work daily, but rarely ride long distances. I don't plan on replacing the stock seat or adding any gizmos. If I was regularly riding 1000 mile days, then my tune might change because my butt did get a little sore after my Iron Butt initiation ride of 1071 miles.

If you're sure you'll need a better seat, then shipping is an option. The guy that bought my Blackbird lives in MO and I'm in WA. He brought a Corbin seat along on his one way flight, switched seats in my driveway and then drove to the nearest mailing place to send the stock seat to his house.

And if you're a glutton for punishment, you might consider riding home in one day and earning membership in the Iron Butt Association. Check out their Website for more info. After a 4 month wait, I just received my credentials in the mail! :yahoo:

In my experience, the FJR stock seat is a relatively good one as far as stock seats go. Don't let this crowd you too scared about riding 1200 miles on it.

I did a similar pick-up...although mine was only 900 miles to home. I took it easy the first day and then did 600 miles the second day. The seat was never a problem. Your first day, all of your attention will go towards resisting the urges of the right hand...not the backside.

In my experience, the FJR stock seat is a relatively good one as far as stock seats go. Don't let this crowd you too scared about riding 1200 miles on it.
I agree with the above. I'm 6'0" and hover around 195-200lbs. I have had my 2007 about a 18 months and now have 20,000 miles on it. It has done plenty of 12-14 hour days with the normal periodic breaks for fuel, food and whatnot.

Interestingly, I have had quite a few bikes and in general I have been happy with the seats, the wind shields, peg locations and whatnot for those bikes and their intended purposes. For example, I have a 1993 ZX-11d and have done a few 14-16 hour days on the stock seat, wind shield, stock bars, stock pegs, etc. The same on a ZX-14 that I have and other bikes too.

From reading the forums, you would have to assume that 98-100 riders change all of that stuff the day they get their bikes. I have to assume that there are plenty of people happy with the stock setups and simply dont post about it.

I road my '07 stock for the first season and I survived just fine. I generally stopped every 2hrs or so to walk around and stretch. I did go with a Russell Seat and I'm extremely happy with it versus stock. I can ride ~240 miles (or between fuel stops) without discomfort related to the seat....I tend to stretch my legs out but I'm correcting that this "off-season" :)

my $.02

For me the stock seat was only good for short rides around town. I just got mine back my Bill Mayer and I can't wait to take her for a spin. It just looks comfortable..

Did a 6000mi journey on the '08 right outa the box, ...welcome to "Club Monkeybutt"! Overall ergos of the machine suit me well [6'2" ~300lb], but the seat will be changed before this spring is over; found that mileage under 200/day is OK, but beyond that, once you begin to squirm, ...welcome to the rest of the day! As some fo the guys point out however, there are probably some reasonable priced & immediately available fixes for the short term, ...Happy Riding!

I've got the stock seat and not really had a problem. I haven't ridden over 400 miles in a day either. I'm 5'9", 160 and while I would like a custom seat, I'm going to get some other stuff first. The seat just hasn't burned me yet.

The stock seat seems good for my 6' 215lb frame. I did get Alaska Sheep Skin, but more for the air flow - things can get sticky without it on a hot day.

Although I'm not a habitual long distance rider, I have done more than a few 11hr days of riding without much problem. Just have a quick stretch every 2hrs or so and you're good to go! :rolleyes:

YMMV

After following many seat threads over some 2 1/2 years, my impression is smaller/lighter riders under 225 lbs. GENERALLY are at least OK with the stock seat. My impression of those 300+ lbs. GENERALLY don't like the stocker. Those between those extremes tend to be mixed. No science, just a mental tracking to see what seats fit who, and which might be right for me; or altered for my riding.

Again,

YMMV