Painting a Saddlebag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryg8r

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on repairing a scratched saddlebag lid. My original thought was to just have a local auto body shop repaint the lid, but after getting a $325 quote, the cheap bastard that I am said there's got to be a more "cost effective" way. I'm getting a price from University Motors on a new lid but I suspect that will also exceed my expectations.

Has anyone had any luck repairing plastic themselves? The lid has some fairly deep scratches in it that would need to be sanded down and the body shop mentioned having to apply an epoxy after sanding. Otherwise the plastic would absorb the paint. Does that sound correct?

The other thought I had was sending it to a FJR friendly paint shop. Are there any that do small jobs like this for a reasonable price?

As a last resort I could just sticker it up like this Metallic Waste

Ultimately, you may find that $325.00 is the best bet. I had a scratched bag on my '03 when I bought it used, and had it repainted.

stryg8r  Posted on Jan 12 2006, 09:34 AM  I'm looking for some advice on repairing a scratched saddlebag lid. My original thought was to just have a local auto body shop repaint the lid,

As a last resort I could just sticker it up like this Metallic Waste
I tend to agree with Bike Effects on that -- you can certainly check other body shops; but, in my experience, most aren't too interested in a small job like that. I think, consider yourself fortunate if one will take-on the job (remember: their work is their advertising -- so, they tend to do the best job they can).

As much as I enjoy Jim Winterer and his artistic efforts -- a next-to-last-resort may be to: sand down the scratches, as well as you reasonably can, and paint the lids with pick-up truck spray-on box liner. It gives a good, tough, rough matt black finish that, imo, is more practical in real-world use than the original color-match finish. Spray-on box-liner comes in spray cans in the automotive dept. at big name stores. Good Luck

I had one of my '04 bags painted and it was almost half the price of what you quoted. But there is the problem. Each paint job will vary in price, due to the amount of prep work. BTW the results on my bike came out perfect, until I tipped it over again a couple of weeks ago and put a couple of tiny scratches on the same bag. :cry:

Depending on the size, area etc. you could cover the area with 3M reflective tape. An added measure of safety, the scratch is covered and when you inevitably scratch or scuff it again just remove the tape and apply new. I agree, getting it repaired is an expensive proposition.

I've heard there isnt a huge difference in price between a new saddlebag lid and the whole bag. I can tell you that a new saddlebag from University Motors will run you about $420.

Unless its real bad, I would just leave the scratches.

I went to auto body school after high school, and did some painting for awhile. Unless you have some experience painting, or don't care how the job turns out, you'd be best off having it painted professionally. Look around for a small shop that might be more willing to do smaller jobs for less. Take a look at some samples of their work, make sure they look OK to you in broad daylight before giving them your goods.

Obtaining a high quality repair on a deeply scratched part takes a lot more work than you might think - especially on plastic. Since plastic is flexible, flexatives usually need to be added to the paint and filler materials to prevent them from cracking when you flex the painted part (opening and closing the bag).

In fact, if the price difference between new and repainted is not that much, I'd just say screw it and buy new. Then you have no worries about something ugly showing up a year or two later (assuming the job was perhaps not done correctly).

Once your scoot is fixed, 3M makes a clear protective film that can be applied to painted parts to protect them without drastically altering their appearance. A nice product if you are concerned about maintaining the finish in tip-top shape.

I've heard there isnt a huge difference in price between a new saddlebag lid and the whole bag.  I can tell you that a new saddlebag from University Motors will run you about $420.
Your right Vector. I just got a quote from Gary and just the lid is $325 plus shipping.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm not real anal about how the bike looks and am more concerned about how it functions, but these scratches have been mocking me for far too long. So my plan of attack is to try finding a professional painter at a reasonable cost.

If that doesn't pan out I may give it a go myself. If I screw it up then I'll bite the bullet and get a new one.

I've heard there isnt a huge difference in price between a new saddlebag lid and the whole bag.  I can tell you that a new saddlebag from University Motors will run you about $420.
Your right Vector. I just got a quote from Gary and just the lid is $325 plus shipping.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm not real anal about how the bike looks and am more concerned about how it functions, but these scratches have been mocking me for far too long. So my plan of attack is to try finding a professional painter at a reasonable cost.

If that doesn't pan out I may give it a go myself. If I screw it up then I'll bite the bullet and get a new one.
That is a good plan. Have you looked into what it takes to install the new lid if you had one? It is riveted on with special rivets.

Has anyone tried this??

I really like this Idea. I have lots of scratches on my bag from squeezing between things, parking in a crowded garage, bumped the wifes SUV backing out of the garage.... etc...

a next-to-last-resort may be to: sand down the scratches, as well as you reasonably can, and paint the lids with pick-up truck spray-on box liner. It gives a good, tough, rough matt black finish that, imo, is more practical in real-world use than the original color-match finish. Spray-on box-liner comes in spray cans in the automotive dept. at big name stores

Has anyone tried this?? I really like this Idea. I have lots of scratches on my bag from squeezing between things, parking in a crowded garage, bumped the wifes SUV backing out of the garage.... etc...

a next-to-last-resort may be to: sand down the scratches, as well as you reasonably can, and paint the lids with pick-up truck spray-on box liner. It gives a good, tough, rough matt black finish that, imo, is more practical in real-world use than the original color-match finish. Spray-on box-liner comes in spray cans in the automotive dept. at big name stores
Madmike2 has already tried the truck bed liner paint -- looks pretty good.

Yeah, but I didn't paint the whole pannier lid. I took some 1/8" tape and "played" with an ovate pattern (roughly the lower front 1/4 of the side cover), then painted it. Maybe this would be a good test...I'll get the digital, then let Bluestreek talk me through "posting" the picture...be patient, it might not be until tomorrow, its almost bedtime for me.

Yeah, but I didn't paint the whole pannier lid. I took some 1/8" tape and "played" with an ovate pattern (roughly the lower front 1/4 of the side cover), then painted it. Maybe this would be a good test...I'll get the digital, then let Bluestreek talk me through "posting" the picture...be patient, it might not be until tomorrow, its almost bedtime for me.
I've been waiting for you to post up on this thread, Mike. I recall asking you about how you did it last summer, since it looks so good, appears to provide some worry free durability in the area I always mess up, and since . . . I only had screwed up my left side pannier back then, but managed to scrape the right side pannier against the stucco corner of the garage rollling it out and past my GF's car since then. If you can post on the brand of paint you used, I'd appreciate it -- wanna do it just like you did.

I had both my side cases repainted by a local guy after having gotten some scratches in a 0 MPH set of tip overs (gas station and in my garage). He sanded them down, put down a base coat, and clear coat, and I think they look pretty close to they did when I got them. The truck bedliner paint idea is intriguing though...

Yeah, but I didn't paint the whole pannier lid.  I took some 1/8" tape and "played" with an ovate pattern  (roughly the lower front 1/4 of the side cover), then painted it.  Maybe this would be a good test...I'll get the digital, then let Bluestreek talk me through "posting" the picture...be patient, it might not be until tomorrow, its almost bedtime for me.
I've been waiting for you to post up on this thread, Mike. I recall asking you about how you did it last summer, since it looks so good, appears to provide some worry free durability in the area I always mess up, and since . . . I only had screwed up my left side pannier back then, but managed to scrape the right side pannier against the stucco corner of the garage rollling it out and past my GF's car since then. If you can post on the brand of paint you used, I'd appreciate it -- wanna do it just like you did.
Rich, I went to CSK (Kragens) and bought the "Dupli-Color" spray on truck bed liner. If I were to do this again, I wouldn't leave the color stripe near the edge of the cover and the black pannier body.

After I taped mine off, I roughed up the surface with 150 grit, then sprayed a light coat, then a second. I didn't want to "glob" the coating on, but build up (3, IIRC) think layers.

As with any pattern sprayed over the original paint (remember the "lace" paint stripes in the '70s), let the paint dry before you peel off the tape.

We have some sun right now, so I'll try and get a picture today and see, once again, if I can post one here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Stryg8r I sent you a pm.  If you let me do it I post the how to here.  Its snowing what else do I have to do.
Thanks for the offer Nate, but garauld has generously offered to restore it back to its former beauty. Its on its way to New York as I type.

You should be able to get a shop to repant for less than $320. I'd also try one of the paint "touch-up" shops that are popular now. I recently read a report inMCN about doing just what you are interested in on a Ducati factory bag. Excellent paint match and about $150. You'd be surprised how many high end dealers use such shops. The shop highlighted in MCN was a large chain but the name escapes me now. If I can find the article, I'll post it. For the most part, larger cities or areas have such shops. I might try at a highline used auto dealership, they should be able to recommend you.

You should be able to get a shop to repant for less than $320. I'd also try one of the paint "touch-up" shops that are popular now. I recently read a report inMCN about doing just what you are interested in on a Ducati factory bag. Excellent paint match and about $150. You'd be surprised how many high end dealers use such shops. The shop highlighted in MCN was a large chain but the name escapes me now. If I can find the article, I'll post it. For the most part, larger cities or areas have such shops. I might try at a highline used auto dealership, they should be able to recommend you.
One of my guys at work backed a shop truck into my bag... I pulled out an article from a mag on paint repairs (Motorcyclest or Sport Rider or.. , Don't remember) and told him to call. He was told they don't do jap bikes, only Euro bikes!