Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JBurleigh: :dribble: MY EYES!

Draggin jeans for me...otherwise I'd have to ride with an intravenous line running..kinda hard to countersteer with an IV pole in the way...

But to look really sharp at the local HD hangout, maybe you should go for a pair of these!

chaps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Competition leather tears at 80 - 110 lbs

Air-Mesh Kevlar tears at 1260 lbs.
I call advertising BS.

If this was so great why wouldn't the Moto GP guys and all the other racers be all over it .. especially as they race in the middle east , Singapore and OZ where its blazing hot. With their unlimited budgets, if something as "great" as Air-Kevlar came along they'd be all over it !!
Leather slides on asphalt. Kevlar catches and tosses you.

I call advertising BS.

If this was so great why wouldn't the Moto GP guys and all the other racers be all over it .. especially as they race in the middle east , Singapore and OZ where its blazing hot. With their unlimited budgets, if something as "great" as Air-Kevlar came along they'd be all over it !!

I need some pants, wranglers just won't work long term...have rash scars to prove it :angry: and sure would like to see some scientific evidence to support these statements ;)

Cary

Blue Jeans aka Jeans aka Dungarees (I think). Either regular Levi's or Icon Recon Jeans.
I prefer the Relaxed Fit myself, the Regular Fit tightens up too much when I slide forward towards the tank. :D But now with the cooler weather approaching, I'm considering adding a pair of leg warmers. :unsure: Any suggestions about which brands come in tall sizes or fit a tall guy best. B)

I call advertising BS.

Could be on the ad-bs. I've been all over the web looking for data on this. If you've got something to back up the "leather slides, Kevlar tosses" I would absolutely like to know about it. No bozos on that.

As far as the Moto GP guys, you ever see the Kevlar cloth? It makes an aerostichy roadrasher feel like silk. Probably one of the reasons the moto guys don't ride in it. Long run-offs in immacculately raked pea-gravel backstopped by large pillowy things might be another. Dunno really. But nothing else Rossi wears, says, does, or thinks seems to apply to me riding in traffic through the rain either. <_< Wish it did.

I like to wear blue jeans when I ride my FJR or Sporty around town, but I still feel exposed and know that if I go down I'm going to get some road rash. Even when wearing jeans I always wear MC boots, gloves, leather jacket, and full-face helmet.

When I commute I wear my Aerostitch, and when I ride the twisties (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_Nj7YJPME ) I wear my full zip-together Frank Thomas leathers.

I used to wear the First Gear overpants when I commuted, and those are fine, albeit not waterproof, and the zipper gives out at the crotch.* But they're not cool looking 'cause they make you look fat. (Why in the world would I ride if I didn't look cool????? B) )

JB

*I am here to tell you that the zipper is the weakest point on all motorcycle apparel. I have more stuff in my garage with f**ked-up zippers...!

Could be on the ad-bs. I've been all over the web looking for data on this. If you've got something to back up the "leather slides, Kevlar tosses" I would absolutely like to know about it. No bozos on that.
Just speaking to what I witnessed first hand on the race track.

Bohn under armor pants, (no zipper to worry about), or Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 mesh textiles with good armor. Been using these for 5 years with no problems. PM. <><

I wore out a pair of Belstaff pants with armor. Absolutly waterproof, but zero venting. Darn hot in the warmer months. I replaced those with a pair of Joerocket Alter Ego pants that I've been wearing since May. Been to Hyder and done a 5k rally in them and they are generally fine. I love the venting strip, which works well for me. Zip in the vent cover strip and it's been just fine in the 50's and upper 40's at night. I don't normally use the zip in waterproof liner, it's great for pulling out leg hairs, (don't ask how I know this!) I've stayed dry on some in and out of the rain rides, but haven't tested it on a soaking all day ride.

I plan on getting a pair of Darien pants for the cooler weather, or possibly another pair of Belstaff.

HTH

I started out with JR ballistic's and moved to the JR Alter Ego. The ballistics were too warm in the summer. The Alter Ego's solved this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wear the First Gear overpants when I commuted, and those are fine, albeit not waterproof, and the zipper gives out at the crotch.* But they're not cool looking 'cause they make you look fat. (Why in the world would I ride if I didn't look cool????? B) )
I have worn my HT overpants in rain many times. The only time I ever got wet through them was when I did not have everything closed up tight.

I do agree that the zippers are the weak link on both the HT overpants and the Kili jacket, but my experience has been that both are waterproof.

Usually when I ride around town on short trips I have jeans on. When I slab it or take long trips I have Rukka APR2 pants on. However, I always wear gloves, boots, helmet and jacket.

I do agree that the zippers are the weak link on both the HT overpants and the Kili jacket, but my experience has been that both are waterproof.
Let me be more specific--they're waterproof, but because my zipper broke (got off tooth), they leaked through the crotch, because the velcro wasn't adequate to seal them. I liked them generally. But the Aerostitch trumped them.

JB

Didn't care for the stitch route for several reasons. Went out to buy HT pants, and ended up with the Fieldsheer Boosters. They fit better, were $80 cheaper, and just as well made with some features the HTs didn't have. Must be new upgraded gear, because all the FS gear I looked at wes very well thought out and had metal zippers. You didn;t ask, but I also bought the Hydro tour jacket. Fully waterproof, so far. Pants vent, but jacket vents are few. Prob what makes this such a good winter jacket. Much better than the Kili I considered.

My two cents.

*I am here to tell you that the zipper is the weakest point on all motorcycle apparel. I have more stuff in my garage with f**ked-up zippers...!
You know you can replace the zipper. (or give the stuff to me.)

Gericke ventilated armored pants over shorts in Texas warm weather,and flannel lined jeans in California cold weather. Found them at Lone Star BMW in Austin.

Terry