Parts missing on new bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I removed the panels to install a fuse block in my new 2013 and found a quick fastener missing when removing the front cowling and a screw missing when removing panel A. I also noticed the screws holing the plastic tank cover were only finger tight. At first I thought this was a factory screw up and that maybe I should check all fasteners for tightness and then I got to thinking, maybe the dealer installs the battery.

Tomorrow I plan on calling the dealer to see about getting these missing parts. I will probably take the panels with me for them to install. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

This may sound petty of me, but if any parts are to be lost, I want it to be me that does it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a legit concern to me Jer. I'd be on somebodys butt about a new anything missing parts..

You old guys can lose enough parts.
tonguesmiley.gif

Me neither. I check myself for lost parts often (doing it now, actually......nope, everything's still where it should be).

Let us know what the dealer says.

I had the same thing happen to me. I know the dealer installed the battery, I had to wait an extra day for one to arrive (my bike was a transfer from a different dealer). Not only were there four fasteners missing, when they lost some of the original screws, they used whatever crap screws they had laying around. They took off panels on both sides, apparently in a search for the battery. I ended up finding all the correct hardware in the tray under the seat. That was the only clue I needed to never let them work on my bike again.

I removed the panels to install a fuse block in my new 2013 and found a quick fastener missing when removing the front cowling and a screw missing when removing panel A.
I also had a screw missing from Panel A (the one at the very front of the panel; shown as #1 on page 7-10 of the manual). I didn't think it was too big a deal as there are plenty of tupperware fasteners holding everything together - and I just happened to have a bolt in my miscellaneous screw jar that fit perfectly - but it is a bit disconcerting.

I haven't had all the plastic off yet, so I'm hoping I don't find more screws missing when I do...

You should have brought it to Tech Day Jer! We would have fixed it right up...without any leftover fasteners.

Enjoy the new bike!

--G