Passenger Seat Bag Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangernut

Reaction score
Hello there: I have a trip coming up and need to get extra storage on the bike. I have a Givi trunk but want to keep it on the bike for this trip.

I would like to get a large bag that would sit on the passenger seat and would work well with the FJR. Any recommendations would be appreciated. -Thanks...

How well does the rain cover work on the Motofizz? I'm trying to decide between that one and the large Ortlieb duffel. Some of the reviews I've read about the Motofizz harp on the rain cover being somewhat worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
How well does the rain cover work on the Motofizz? I'm trying to decide between that one and the large Ortlieb duffel. Some of the reviews I've read about the Motofizz harp on the rain cover being somewhat worthless.
Rain cover does not work that well. It's sized for an expanded bag which gives you a lot of extra fabric to fuss with. OTOH, if you have the bag packed to the gills, the standard cover would work fine.

I've done a couple things to help mine out. First, treat the bag and zipper areas with a good water proofing coating. I used Fabric Guard 303 which also provides some UV protection. Lastly, my SO made a custom waterproof cover to fit the exact bag size when it's loaded. I always put the same (bulky, light) items in the bag, and pack it identical for each trip.

With just the 303 treatment, it's got to get pretty wet before you get any leakage, other than some around the zippers.

--G

I use a tour master bag that has bungies attached to the bottom.

Not sure which model, but holds lots of stuff, and very reasonably priced.
I also use a Tourmaster bag. My link

I usually try to stay with products mad in US, but this bag is pretty cheap for the amount it will hold. The rain cover seems to work fine. I used it on the passenger seat during a week long trip last year. Mounts easy and holds a lot plus the price was right. Quality of the bag looks and feels good too. Here is a pic of it on the bike.

BRP083.jpg

I've used a Seattle Sports dry duffle for years on several bikes. Don't have to worry about stuff getting wet but a little bulky.

01-Navigator-01-General.jpg

I use a Sealline Baja 55 liter dry bag, which is only around $35. Different colors, but I like yellow for vis. Stays dry, tough as hell, and only on my second one in 20 years. I stuff a sleeping bag, air mattress, extra cloths... in from the end and roll up the seal. Two bungies hold it in place.

I've found some of the more robust, well-designed bags are range bags at gun shops like Cheaper Than Dirt (hit and miss depending on surplus inventory they buy and sales they have), Academy Sports, etc. Lots of pockets for organizing things, heavy cordura (avoid leather of course), various sizes, etc. Get something with Velcro flaps over the zippers then shoot it with outdoor water proofing spray. Bob's your uncle. Almost always cheaper than stuff marketed as motorcycle specific.

Some quick searching found:

https://www.wiskurtactical.com/home.php?cat=263

and others.

Last edited by a moderator: