Peg dragging/ cornering clearence Noob question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matkal

Reaction score
How easy is it to drag the pegs on an FJR? Is it a problem for anyone? Can you ride to the edges of the tires without dragging?

The reason I ask is that on my present bike('90FJ1200) it's TOO easy. :blink: I'll be upgrading by next season and the FJR is at the top of my

(short)list and I would like to factor this into the equation.

I used to own an '89 FJ. Cornering clearance is similar. You will not get to the edge of the tire, but close. The rear is pretty close on mine. The FJR is lightyears ahead in other aspects, IMHO.

I only manage to drag pegs under heavy cornering WITH a passenger. I've rarely (if ever) touched the feelers down while riding solo. Getting just a little weight off of the bike towards the inside will dramatically increase clearance.

YMMV.

There are so many factors here...

Do you lean, or hang off the bike toward the inside of the turn, or do you sit on top of the bike dirt bike style?

How heavy are you?

Do you lean, or hang off the bike toward the inside of the turn, or do you sit on top of the bike dirt bike style?

How heavy are you?
225#

I lean my upper body toward the inside of the turn. I do hang off occasionally, but have never scraped the pegs doing this.

And sometimes I just sit on top. At Deals Gap this spring I even rode it like a MX bike(body straight up/bike leaned) when I got stuck behind a parade :rolleyes: (slow moving cruisers).

How heavy are you?
225#

I lean my upper body toward the inside of the turn. I do hang off occasionally, but have never scraped the pegs doing this.

And sometimes I just sit on top. At Deals Gap this spring I even rode it like a MX bike(body straight up/bike leaned) when I got stuck behind a parade :rolleyes: (slow moving cruisers).

You know, I've ridden the FJR faster on some of the best twisties in existence than I should have and made it out just fine with scraped peg feelers and even a harder part from time to time on very, very rare occaision. If you have to ride the FJR faster than me, there are those that do and can and they sometimes do on rare occaisions. But if you have to ride faster than them, I highly recommend a R6 and time at the track :)

Or an Aprilia Futura. :huh: Also on my short list.

:sheep:

But dammit, I want comfort too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came off an 02 Sprint ST. Although I never scraped pegs on her, I have scraped fairing (probably due to compressing front shock on rough road with tight turns).

Nevertheless, the FJR is VERY easy to scrape pegs. I've scraped FJR pegs even with my butt slid off seat leaned into the turn (I weigh a buck fifty soaking wet). The FJR is about Touring with a whole bunch of sport. Eventhough I like dragging knees in corners, it was time to mellow a bit. The FJR is a GREAT compromise for me.

If your that concerned about sport riding, may I recommend sticking with a Sport bike such as the Triumph Sprint. I have found it to be a perfect compromise of comfort and sport.

Wish you the best in your decision.

This reminds me of the topic sprint_st started a while back about why his friends pegs scraped and his didn't. Sprint is not a light fella, so the weight did not seem to be a factor. SPRINT when you say your suspension is compressed are you trail braking? That would account for why me well developed posterior has yet to scrape a peg, I don't.

With the bags loaded scraping the pegs is easy, especially in 20 to 30 mph corners,(I weigh 170 lbs). Touching down at 120 mph is not recommended, I repeat NOT. With the bags off you will be at the limit of the rear tire before you touch. If you are going to ride like this get the sport tires not the sport touring.

Phil

It is real easy to scrape the pegs, and the bags for that matter since the FJR has a faulty side stand.

JK...couldn't resist. :p

Just like Sport, I also find the cornering clearance of the FJR lacking, but after adjusting the suspension much tighter, and with the preload on 'hard', it's adequate for the street. I'm light as well, at 155# without gear.

And no, you don't get to the edge of the tire on the FJR (on my Z6s at least), but close. I installed custom pegs, which don't have feelers, so will have to be careful not to drag any hard parts, but once you get used to its limits, they're enough for the street, but there's little safety room so on unfamiliar roads I have to dial it back a notch to be on the safe side. Later.

JC

During my track day with the FJR, I lightly scraped the right side only once all day (about 30 to 35 laps around Road America). Of course, I was doing my best "Rossi" impersonation :clapping: hanging off as much as I could. My Dunlops were heavily worn about 1/4 inch from the edge. I also cranked the preload settings up "a bunch" in the morning and never changed them. I weigh about 190, by the way. I've never come close to scraping in normal twisty street riding.

During my track day with the FJR, I lightly scraped the right side only once all day (about 30 to 35 laps around Road America). Of course, I was doing my best "Rossi" impersonation :clapping: hanging off as much as I could. My Dunlops were heavily worn about 1/4 inch from the edge. I also cranked the preload settings up "a bunch" in the morning and never changed them. I weigh about 190, by the way. I've never come close to scraping in normal twisty street riding.
You have an aftermarket shock, no???

If you scrapie, time for aftermarket shockie.

You have to push it pretty hard to scrape pegs, even with the stock shock. If you hit the feelers, it's a pretty good warning that you need to back off cause it ain't far til you hit other hard stuff.

And no, you don't get to the edge of the tire on the FJR
You don't??! I'd better stop doing that then. :)

For some reason I have a hard time getting my foot up high enough on the peg to avoid dragging the boot first. I swear I'm up on my tip toes on the peg with my feet pulled in as far as possible and the boot still scrapes first. But yes, you can drag the pegs, and very shortly after that you will be dragging the pipe, and quite possibly after that you will be in the ditch. :(

I had major peggage issues........ Then I hit my sidestand, my headers, and the side of my faring, Break pedal

Mr Penske helped me with that.

I have scrapped my pegs since then too but I am not a normal person. I am riding a bit too fast and am slowing down. I can get to the edge of my Pilot Powers too. But I have been playing the odds and that is not really the best thing. I am glad I got away with it so far but think I may need to re-evaluate. It is hard since I am a junkie :clapping:

P7270128.jpg