Picked up my 2008 December 8th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap...2 of them going down the road together musta been schweet...
any guesses on the '09 colors.....??

with that black, you might consider a bottle of this stuff...

Capt. Richard's Best.....been using on the bike, car, boots, gear.....easy fast good

Hold on there... I've been polishing planes and cars as a side job for over 20 years (embarressed to say) and would hesitate a little on the advice of a product that says "no need to wash". It might be great, but if you don't wash, rinse off, gently wipe off, or at least high press blow off the small stuff, I don't care what you rub on the paint, you will rub the little particles into the paint, thereby doing exactly whay the Capt. says his product doesn't do.

THis isn't the only one. I've been using a product for several years in the aviation industry called "Drywash". You can only get it through distributors or online, but it says to use it the same way; "no washing". It is probably one of the best polishes I've ever used but still I wouldn't rub anything on my beloved machine without a preliminary removal process of some kind. Otherwise you are perpetually filling in the microswirls and scratches. If the FJRs paint is a soft as you all say it is, consider that.

Best stuff I've ever used for shine: "3M Imperial Hand Glaze" (laugh all you want, I'm secure in my manhood). You can usually get it at any paint/body/automotive shop. NOt cheep for quart but it goes a LOOOONG way as long as you store it above 50 degrees. It does require a lot of buffing.

Best stuff I've ever used for longevity and shine: "Drywash" or "Rejex". Search for it online. Mine is supplied by various aircraft owners on their dime as it is $$$$$.

For the more frugal: "McGuires Gold Glass" is my personal favorite.

NEVER use a Teflon product if you want your touch-ups to stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that black looks 10X's better than the greasy photos of the 08's from the dealer shows. Too bad it wasn't really cheap to get an extra set of plastics.

Holy crap...2 of them going down the road together musta been schweet...
any guesses on the '09 colors.....??

with that black, you might consider a bottle of this stuff...

Capt. Richard's Best.....been using on the bike, car, boots, gear.....easy fast good

Hold on there... I've been polishing planes and cars as a side job for over 20 years (embarressed to say) and would hesitate a little on the advice of a product that says "no need to wash". It might be great, but if you don't wash, rinse off, gently wipe off, or at least high press blow off the small stuff, I don't care what you rub on the paint, you will rub the little particles into the paint, thereby doing exactly whay the Capt. says his product doesn't do.

THis isn't the only one. I've been using a product for several years in the aviation industry called "Drywash". You can only get it through distributors or online, but it says to use it the same way; "no washing". It is probably one of the best polishes I've ever used but still I wouldn't rub anything on my beloved machine without a preliminary removal process of some kind. Otherwise you are perpetually filling in the microswirls and scratches. If the FJRs paint is a soft as you all say it is, consider that.

Best stuff I've ever used for shine: "3M Imperial Hand Glaze" (laugh all you want, I'm secure in my manhood). You can usually get it at any paint/body/automotive shop. NOt cheep for quart but it goes a LOOOONG way as long as you store it above 50 degrees. It does require a lot of buffing.

Best stuff I've ever used for longevity and shine: "Drywash" or "Rejex". Search for it online. Mine is supplied by various aircraft owners on their dime as it is $$$$$.

For the more frugal: "McGuires Gold Glass" is my personal favorite.

NEVER use a Teflon product if you want your touch-ups to stick.
Hey Honzo,

I do rinse and wipe B4 I use the stuff....but I have to say the shine is really great. I was a skeptic too, and a long time user of Collinite marine boat wax - The either the 885 Fleetwax, 850 Metal Wax...but this gives me way moretime to ride...

Tom, have you looked into installing sliders yet? I'm planning on going with the motovation slider, but their website states they will not fit the '08 so was curious if you've looked into it yet.

Tom, have you looked into installing sliders yet? I'm planning on going with the motovation slider, but their website states they will not fit the '08 so was curious if you've looked into it yet.
I have installed the GSG Moto Crash Protectors from Bikejohnny.com.

GSG Moto Crash Protectors

Although they fit fine, I observed that the scrws they sent were of different lengths whereas the ones I removed from the bike were the same length. My work-around was to use no washers on one side and two (or was it three?) on the other. Their instruction didn't show any washers. So I am curious if the '08 is a little different from the '06, '07. Did any of you early GenII owners use these protectors?

On my '05 I had to remove the side panels to install a mounting bracket that the earlier version of these sliders connected to, but on the '08 no panel removal is required. Nice!

On my '06 when I installed the sliders (can't remember the brand) I seem to remember that one was longer than the other and consequently had a bolt that was longer. Where the actual sliders you got from Bikejohnny the same length?

On my '06 when I installed the sliders (can't remember the brand) I seem to remember that one was longer than the other and consequently had a bolt that was longer. Where the actual sliders you got from Bikejohnny the same length?
Nope. They were different, but that still didn't seem to explain the bolt difference. You had to be there, I think!

Thanks for the pics the bike really looks great. I believe you said you had a PClll on your 05 did you install this to improve throttle response? Does the 08 need this also. I had an 06 AE and was never satified with the throttle response at mid corner and at exit I thought the PC helped but was never where it should be for smooth cornering. I totaled my 06 and plan on a new 08 but it will not be the AE, there are too many issues with the auto clutch to deal with. I believe if yamaha would give you option to manually use the clutch or use the button shift feature they would have a winner but in it's current state, unless you have physical issues, it's far from a winner especially at a premium price. At least as a former owner of an AE that's my opinion. Ride Safe

Hey Honzo,

I do rinse and wipe B4 I use the stuff....but I have to say the shine is really great. I was a skeptic too, and a long time user of Collinite marine boat wax - The either the 885 Fleetwax, 850 Metal Wax...but this gives me way moretime to ride...

Can't argue with that logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts