Poor Man's Throttle Spring Fix?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
OK, much discussion has been generated regading the too-stiff pull on the 06's. Release the throttle spring on revolution, different throttle tubes & cams, and the Fred H. fixe have all been discussed. One idea that has not been debated is to simply leave the throttle wide freakin' open (WFO) over night each and every night. Leaving the throttle WFO should eventually weaken the spring. This is the exact same reason you should always return your click type torque wrench to the 10% setting after each use..

Any thoughts? Think this would work? After all, the Grand Canyone wasn't carved in a day..

The Grand Canyon wasnt built in a day and by the time the spring weakens you will be six feet under with a right arm like Popeye's

Torque wrench @ the 10 % setting?.....not according to my snap-on or mac reps....So why....inquiring minds want to know? :D ....

Torque wrench @ the 10 % setting?.....not according to my snap-on or mac reps....So why....inquiring minds want to know? :D ....
Avoids fatigue of the spring due to prolonged compression. Maintains accuracy of the wrench.

DCarver - I just did a buddy's 06 this weekend. One turn was not enough. Wound up totally removing the center spring. Still stiffer than my 05. Must be newer springs!

:D

Avoids fatigue of the spring due to prolonged compression. Maintains accuracy of the wrench.

Exactly correct Jeff.. In my former life and in my part-time current life, I work at a Nuke plant in the Metrology Lab (science of measurement, not weather thank you) and after having calibrated thousands and thousands of Snap-On click type torque wrenches... I can unequivocally tell you that leaving the spring cranked up WILL affect the accuracy and repeatability of the wrench... so it could work on the throttle springs too. :rolleyes:

Not all of us have a wide diversified group of Ho's to avoid the limpness of the wrist there "pimp master" :lol:
Your optometrist just called: He can't mill the lenses any more, you've gone too far blind. So, what's your excuse for limp wrist then?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! :haha:

Not all of us have a wide diversified group of Ho's to avoid the limpness of the wrist there "pimp master" :lol:
Your optometrist just called: He can't mill the lenses any more, you've gone too far blind. So, what's your excuse for limp wrist then?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! :haha:
S@#t....I didn't even know that I wore glasses....eh Tim....nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean eh, know what I mean, :derisive: say no more, say no more..... :rolleyes: .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly correct Jeff.. In my former life and in my part-time current life, I work at a Nuke plant in the Metrology Lab (science of measurement, not weather thank you) and after having calibrated thousands and thousands of Snap-On click type torque wrenches... I can unequivocally tell you that leaving the spring cranked up WILL affect the accuracy and repeatability of the wrench... so it could work on the throttle springs too. :rolleyes:
I don't think that with modern spring metalurgy that it's going to make a worthwhile difference. I don't doubt for a second that things like torque wrenches are affected but we're not talking about nuclear grade accuracy or even 10% here. If simply holding a throttle open would cause that much change over time we'd all be bitching about that too. I remember back in the 70's we were told not to store magazines full of ammo for fear of the springs weakening. It's since been proven to be BS with modern quality gear. Is an 06 really that much harder to "unspring" than earlier models? My 05 took all of about 15 seconds once the tank was raised.

I bought a Throttle Rocker for $10. Problem solved. Not that it was really a problem in the first place.

Springs don't loose their tension because of having a constant load on them, but from being cycled thousands of times. This is a very frequent discussion on some of the shooting forums I go to, as it relates to the springs in semi-automatic pistol magazines. To give you an idea, they found a 1911 .45 ACP magazine that had been left fully loaded since the 40's, and when they unloaded it and checked the springs tension it had lost less than 10%. Try it if you want, but I don't think you will notice a difference before it will be time for a new and improved FJR.

Springs don't loose their tension because of having a constant load on them, but from being cycled thousands of times. This is a very frequent discussion on some of the shooting forums I go to, as it relates to the springs in semi-automatic pistol magazines. To give you an idea, they found a 1911 .45 ACP magazine that had been left fully loaded since the 40's, and when they unloaded it and checked the springs tension it had lost less than 10%. Try it if you want, but I don't think you will notice a difference before it will be time for a new and improved FJR.
+1 - Add this information to the new metallurgy and heat treating techniques compared to 1940, as evil_h said, and you won't get much fatigue over time. You may weaken the throttle springs if you really yank on them and over stressing them beyond their design limits effectively damaging the springs, but I'd rather just unwind one.

.I don't think that with modern spring metalurgy that it's going to make a worthwhile difference. I don't doubt for a second that things like torque wrenches are affected but we're not talking about nuclear grade accuracy or even 10% here. If simply holding a throttle open would cause that much change over time we'd all be bitching about that too. I remember back in the 70's we were told not to store magazines full of ammo for fear of the springs weakening. It's since been proven to be BS with modern quality gear. Is an 06 really that much harder to "unspring" than earlier models? My 05 took all of about 15 seconds once the tank was raised.
Wow Jeff, You've had the gas tank raised? Mines still a virgin.... that makes yours a(fill in the blank here)?? :lol: . On a serious note, OK, so much for the poor mans spring fix.. Unless, of course, we want to include it the noobies list of all things to fix on the 07's.. ;)

OK, much discussion has been generated regading the too-stiff pull on the 06's. Release the throttle spring on revolution, different throttle tubes & cams, and the Fred H. fixe have all been discussed. One idea that has not been debated is to simply leave the throttle wide freakin' open (WFO) over night each and every night. Leaving the throttle WFO should eventually weaken the spring. This is the exact same reason you should always return your click type torque wrench to the 10% setting after each use..
Any thoughts? Think this would work? After all, the Grand Canyone wasn't carved in a day..
Hey d,

You can try the WFO trick if ya' got alot o' patience but taking one twist off the spring really does work, results in instant gratification and you can always put it back if needed.

Did you check mine out while at Camp Roberts last Sat.? By the way , it was nice meeting you and visiting a bit while there. I had a great ride up the PCH on Sunday and the weather was perfect! :yahoo:

Later,

Rob