Popular among first-time buyers -- Hayabusa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

"Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for his appearance at several area Suzuki dealerships, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio, where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment."

"The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County."

https://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

Is a Hayabusa a good choice for a first-time buyer?

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
"Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for his appearance at several area Suzuki dealerships, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio, where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment."

"The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County."

https://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

Is a Hayabusa a good choice for a first-time buyer?
Would you let a 16 yr. old have a ENSO Ferrari as a first car? I don't think so! More like a KIA or something! People let their egos get in the way. Just because they're an adult they think they can't be seen on anything small and it usually bites them in the ass because they know everything. I can especially see this happening to a jock!

Is it unethical for a dealer to sell a Hayabusa or other high performance bike to a first-time buyer?

Big Ben also has a Hardly Ableson. After that guy from the Browns hurt himself on a GSX-750, there was a minor scandal over him and then 2nd string QB Tommy Maddox admitting that they ride w/o helmets. He'd need at least 2 yrs experience to ride w/o a helmet legally here in PA. At the time, he said he only rides in groups, and that makes him safer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05127/500755.stm

https://kdka.com/

Broke his jaw, crushed a sinus cavity, 9 inch cut on head, skinned a knee. And no helmet, since he is believes he is a "safe" rider and the state law says he doesn't need one.

According to one of the video reports, a woman made a turn in front of him after she lost the left turn arrow and he couldn't stop in time. Probably her fault, but sounds like he was speeding towards a red light, so he deserves some blame.

I live in Pittsburgh, and it's a bad intersection no matter how you approach it. Lots of turning traffic, bad sight lines, the cross streets are a tunnel with a a sharp turn right at the entrance and a bridge, and the whole thing is mostly under several highways. It's close to their training facility, so he knew the road.

Police have 2 separate teams investigating this, but I'd give him a ticket for unsafe speed and call it a day.

Bill V

Local dealer relayed the story of one purchaser who, upon taking delivery of his new busa, immediately launched out of the service bay and into the side of a Ford F-250. Only then did he admit he had never operated a motorcycle of any kind before.

$4000.00 later he picked up his new bike again. I don't know his current health status.

I don't blame the dealer. The purchaser was a dick weed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Busa is one of the last bikes a first time or even a less than very experienced rider should have. But if a fool is going to buy based upon ego and then hurts himself, it's no one's fault but his own. Not like there aren't a LOT of resources available to help him choose wisely, instead of choosing based upon ego. Fortunately, most ego buys are of the underpowered HDs, but those buying a Busa are going to have a lot more to handle.

Is it unethical for a dealer to sell a Hayabusa or other high performance bike to a first-time buyer?
No but I think it's unethical to steer somebody toward that kind of bike if they know full well it's a first bike. A salesman like that deserves to get sued personally should a mishap occour just like the jackass that bought it deserves a mishap. Do we need a law to protect us? Hell no! Adults should be able to buy what they want and we need to work together to keep da man's greasy hands out of our pockets.

Local dealer relayed the story of one purchaser who, upon taking delivery of his new busa, immediately launched out of the service bay and into the side of a Ford F-250. Only then did he admit he had never operated a motorcycle of any kind before.
$4000.00 later he picked up his new bike again. I don't know his current health status.

I don't blame the dealer. The purchaser was a dick weed.
It's not a matter of when you go down...It's a matter of how hard!

And this guy didn't waste any time :blink:

My local Suzuki dealer let me ride a new dual-sport to learn on when I bought my "81 GS450e in 1984.

Those were the days.....$1299.00 and they gave me a free Bell Helmet. I waited till I had a nicer bike before I laid it down! :angry2:

Cheers,

Bryce

You kalifornians are really showing your mud here....lololol.....
I'm thinking that with the dickwad spendaholic economic disasters that you Texans have supplied for Presidents (Johnson and W), you have a whole lot less to crow about and a whole lot more to be apologetic about than Californians. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Matt, I know I got political here in response to a political bias, and I don't mind a bit if you delete this post. Just tired of the holier than thou shit applied to everyone in a state of origin. B)

I'm thinking that with the dickwad spendaholic economic disasters that you Texans have supplied for Presidents (Johnson and W), you have a whole lot less to crow about and a whole lot more to be apologetic about than Californians.
Did someone pee-pee in your Wheaties or what?

:blink:

I think Italy has it right, were your age determines the amount of CC's your allowed.

They must be still doing that ?

Last time I was there, the young ones were riding stuff like this,

cov_491_rr1.jpg

Start small. Work your way up. SMART.

Not smart,... sensible....something that we in North America need to learn.... :D ....but probably won't....

Did someone pee-pee in your Wheaties or what?
Shit, I hope not! I ate them anyway and didn't notice anything unusual about the taste. I did just get back from 5 days of hard riding, was tired and unappreciative of having to work, though. Mostly, I'm just tired of the regular crap about (asshole, crazy, irresponsible or whacked liberal) Californians that is popular with net posters from elsewhere. I guess it'd be nice to read an articulated disagreement instead of a comment about the poster's state of origin as the impliedly illegitimate basis for his/her opinion. I'll try to be more tolerant of that style and ignore it.

Still think a Busa is a bad choice for an inexperienced rider, though.

Cautiously dipping my toes into this piranha pool.....

In Japan they regulate the rider, not the machine. They have a three tier license structure based on machine size, length of experience, demonstration of riding skills and punitive costs to get an 'otaga' big bike license for bikes >400cc!!! If you live in a city you may have to prove that you have a prepaid parking spot for your vehicle, price for the parking is commonly $4,000 (US) or more per year.

A three tier license is sure to be as unpopular as selling motorcycles based on the rider's skill. The only difference is that unrestricted motorcycle sales to under trained and/or unskilled riders results in a body count that some activist group will have to avenge. Bad Things will happen to the motorcycle community if this occurs.

If you have been a member of this Forum for a while you will see that we have jumped all over people that wanted to get a FJR as a first bike, almost all of us strongly recommending a trainer size bike first. There is also a strong push for a MSF course or equivalent training. This is the voice of experience speaking. Or, we are generally a bunch of old farts :lol:

I'm alive today because a 125cc metric bike was 'a big machine' when I was learning to ride. Even the big USA iron wasn't so fast. I sort of wonder what would have happened if I could have walked into a dealer and purchased a modern pure sport bike....

Latest posts