Possible stator woes!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8/03, 87,000 miles and counting.

Though I think mine may starting to show some weakness.

Also, heat is extremely hard on batteries, and mine being in the desert of the southwest I am sure has not been good on it.

I bought a WESTCO replacement a few months ago that is sitting on a charger in my bedroom closet. Hope the current one lasts till late spring next year, when the new WESTCO will go in regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery still isn't proven innocent yet either, but that should to be a new thread.
Well, it seems like we've gotten 'round to the battery on this thread? One of the things I use and find interesting is a little chart I have that explains (a little) maintenence free batteries -- "Battery Voltage Reading using a Voltmeter": State of charge 100% = 13 V; 75% = 12.8 V; 50% = 12.5 V; 25% = 12.2 V; 0% = 12.0 V or less. When troubleshooting an electrical system one of the first dictums is to make sure you have a fully charged battery -- I.O.W step 1. I think you'd only need a new battery if you couldn't get to "step 1" with your present battery? There are many instances of M.F. batteries lasting many years longer than what has been mentioned here (recently). There are also many instances of 'crispy critter' stators immediately preceded by a battery replacement (think chicken v. egg, here).But, to return to that bugger of a permanent magnet alternator running in engine oil (who's idea was that anyway?): if the stator coils are putting out maximum wattage at all times for a given rpm -- what does it avail anyone to have yet more output? It'll still put-out maximum wattage -- just get hotter? It seems to me, that higher rpm may have a beneficial effect on the problem (at least spin fast enough to reach max on the output curve). W=VxA and maybe spinning at an optimal rpm will have less current in the stator coils?

Just thinking aloud.....

Just install a new permanent magnet with double the number of North-South poles. Now the output at 2.5K rpm equals what 5K rpm was before.

Don't know if this is possible. Probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.