Powerlet Options- Quick Q for those who have them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I would like to install the powerlet kit in my front right panel for use with my GPS system. It is my understanding that it isnt recommended for heated clothing such as electric gloves. In that case, I would like to add the rear seat kit as well.
Is there enough room where the battery is stored to connect both harnesses without any issues? I know I could just run the dual rear seat setup but I really dont want to have to run my GPS connection to the front and that will be used much more than the heated gloves.
Give me a call and I can answer any questions that you may have. I have a good supply of Powerlet products and I am an FJR owner myself. I also give discounts to forum members.

Jeff

707-224-9262
Jeff,

I just went ahead and ordered them myself from you. My Mom was pretty confused and I would have ended up with cables to a Nuvi, C330 and who knows what else. :)

Ordered the front panel kit, battery tender cbl and the cigarette adapter so I can use my Garmin and Radar Detectors that have those kinda plugs.

Thanks!

Okay, I need a little clarification here. Can I use heated gloves and a vest/liner with a powerlet setup without installing relays and barrier strips?

The pre-made Powerlet kits for the FJR are designed to attach directly to the battery. No need for a relay and/or barrier strip.

If you are adding multiple outlets, a power strip or fuse block fed by a relay might make your life a little simpler. There is just not a lot of room above the battery for wires. I put my fuse block under the seat ('05 model) and ran one wire to it with the power controlled by a relay wired to the running lights. No chance of leaving any thing on by accident. The fuse block I use has 5 or 6 fuses so I can add new farkles with out digging out the battery connections.

I do have a BMW style plug mounted up front that is wired directly to the battery to allow me to use a battery tender.

This setup works for me.....

Okay, I need a little clarification here. Can I use heated gloves and a vest/liner with a powerlet setup without installing relays and barrier strips?
Can you? Sure. You could run a single lead from the battery. You don't even need a powerlet if you don't want.

Should you? Your choice, but you're tearing into the bike anyway. A little more work and you've got easy-access room for growth if you decide to add yet more electronic gadgetry later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you? Sure. You could run a single lead from the battery. You don't even need a powerlet if you don't want.

Should you? Your choice, but you're tearing into the bike anyway. A little more work and you've got easy-access room for growth if you decide to add yet more electronic gadgetry later on.
The best option is to install a Powerlet Socket and plug your heated gear in there. You can also use the socket for other things of course.

You can wire a Socket into a fuse panel or the battery. For Socket wiring see here:

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Pow...ocket_kits.html

Well, the install was flawless and went well...I was a bit worried about using a step drill bit instead of a hole saw but if you use some wood as a backer it worked great. It was a little tough to get some of the wires pushed back under the "C" panel as well so I might revisit that later on.

Only thing I overlooked was that I installed the powerlet pretty darn close to where the pic shows it in the instructions. That location works well for using anything that is simply a powerlet adapter, but if you should need to use the "stubby" cigarette adapter to power the GPS or phone it pretty much bangs up against the brake lever once everything is plugged in. I didnt see that coming, as I was more concerned with clearance underneath the adapter. It looks like I will need to go with the either the cable specific to my garmin or a cigarette adapter that has a cable on it.