Preference in Communication devices?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
I use Autocom and am very pleased with its performance. My dealer is considering selling a European helmet and offering a discount on a com system, but he'd like to see what mature (lol) riders want.

Thanks for your input.

Sport

Blue tooth added after several replies...Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
While the Starcom and other systems are probably very good I voted for Autocom because I have one and it does everything I want it to. It's a fantastic system that I've had for 4 years with no complaints. I get music, cell phone, cb/frs/gmrs bike to bike plus a rider pillion intercom system. Autocom America has a bunch of accessories and knowledgeable people.

as suggested, I added bluetooth to the poll.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did not vote for any of the choices.

I have a Motocomm (actually 2 of them) because they are inexpensive and can handle so many inputs. I needed to buy two units last summer and could not see paying for 2 Autocom$ or $tarcoms.

The Motocomm does do everything it is supposed to, but it is not stereo to the headset. There are two helmet speakers, but the sound from any device is combined channels monaural. It is for this reason that I cannot say this is the best. It is a good value, but not the best out there.

I'll probably get something else eventually, but I'd really like a stereo bluetooth set-up with all the bells and whistles. Who wants to be tethered to their bike or passenger?

you didn't mention Scala Rider Teamset - it you want Bluetooth synch and rider to rider comm this is a great buy.

I have had one for almost a year and it works great.

Nice review on it in the just-out RIDER magazine.

I have a Motocomm (actually 2 of them) because they are inexpensive and can handle so many inputs. I needed to buy two units last summer and could not see paying for 2 Autocom$ or $tarcoms.

The Motocomm does do everything it is supposed to, but it is not stereo to the headset. There are two helmet speakers, but the sound from any device is combined channels monaural. It is for this reason that I cannot say this is the best. It is a good value, but not the best out there.

I'll probably get something else eventually, but I'd really like a stereo bluetooth set-up with all the bells and whistles. Who wants to be tethered to their bike or passenger?

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why would you need two Autocoms or Starcoms?

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why would you need two Autocoms or Starcoms?
Because I have three bikes. I ride one (with my wife as a passenger) and my son rides another (also w/ passenger). We both have motorola GMRS radios to communicate bike-bike, iPOds, and the intercom for passengers. I'll also be adding my GPS audio to mine.

Because I have three bikes. I ride one (with my wife as a passenger) and my son rides another (also w/ passenger). We both have motorola GMRS radios to communicate bike-bike, iPOds, and the intercom for passengers. I'll also be adding my GPS audio to mine.
That makes sense.

you didn't mention Scala Rider Teamset - it you want Bluetooth synch and rider to rider comm this is a great buy.
I have had one for almost a year and it works great.

Nice review on it in the just-out RIDER magazine.

The Scala Teamset supports Rider to Rider communication?

The Scala Teamset supports Rider to Rider communication?
According to their site, it does not at this time. The connection between the two headsets is only good for a few feet. Normal bluetooth range is about 30ft, but with as low powered as these may be, it might not even get that.

Anyone tried the CellularLine Interphone bluetooth system. Their specs and various write-ups look very good and I'm thinking of trying it.

QUOTE (Jagermeister @ Tuesday, 26 February 2008) The Scala Teamset supports Rider to Rider communication?
According to their site, it does not at this time. The connection between the two headsets is only good for a few feet. Normal bluetooth range is about 30ft, but with as low powered as these may be, it might not even get that.
While shopping for a comm system, I was told the Scala Q2 works for rider to rider as far as 2 football fields and is compatible with all Scala headsets

I bought the AutoCom Active-Duo and the optional PTT 2-way cable. Haven't installed it yet (as I haven't picked up my bike yet) but am interested to hear others experiences with the AutoCom systems on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator: