Question about a Toyota Tundra Oxygen Sensor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
My 2002 Toyota Tundra just went in for an inspection, tire rotation, and oil change. The check engine light was on so by New York State Law it automatically failed the inspection. They replaced the oxygen sensor and did the rotation and oil change and handed me a bill for $835.00 :angry: .....does this sound right to any of you wrenches?? They charged me $235.00 for the OS alone. Not having a clue or a truck to drive I had to pay the bill but it certainly on the face of it seems excessive. Any comments?

My 2002 Toyota Tundra just went in for an inspection, tire rotation, and oil change. The check engine light was on so by New York State Law it automatically failed the inspection. They replaced the oxygen sensor and did the rotation and oil change and handed me a bill for $835.00 :angry: .....does this sound right to any of you wrenches?? They charged me $235.00 for the OS alone. Not having a clue or a truck to drive I had to pay the bill but it certainly on the face of it seems excessive. Any comments?
Don't know much about a Tundra but I bought an oxygen sensor for a Toyota Tacoma four years ago and installed it myself and paid $45.00 for the sensor. Not sure if they are all the same but you would think an OS is an OS. I am sure that the price has gone up a little but that seem a little high. The labor to install shouldn't have been too much. It is a 10min job.

Last edited by a moderator:
There may have been some code-resetting and you probably paid some dough to have it hooked to a computer to let the mech know what was wrong.

The newer vehicles use heated O2 sensors upping the price. $235 still sounds steep. Call a local parts store (autozone etc) and check a price on the O2 sensor for your truck.

I went to www.Rockauto.com and searched for Toyota Tundra O2 sensors. Most were around $100. I don't know if you have the six or the eight cyliner engine. This is a good resource for auto parts prices.

My 2003 Suzuki has four heated sensors! They list locally for $157 each. Bought four at OXYGENSENSORS.COM, delivered to my door for $435.

Cost me $238 in labor to get all four sensors replaced, six spark plugs replaced and the vehicle inspection done. Sounds like you got reamed a bit.

Sounds like you got reamed a bit.
Yeah, thats what I kind of figured. Looking over the bill they charged me $27.00 for the first inspection that failed, $37.00 for the second inspection that passed, $451.16 for what I read as 2 02 sensors, 2 hours labor to install them at $80.00/hr, 1 hour labor to test drive(?????) at $80.00/hr, $39.95 for the oil change, $25.00 to rotate the tires, and $65.00 for tax......So once again not only have they shoved the umbrella up my ass, but they have opened it too.

So, now, because I feel that they can no longer be trusted to do the right thing they just lost 1000's of dollars servicing my business vehicles every year and they have GAINED a whole lot of bad mouth press as I relate this tale to all of my contractor bretheren. Another rotten fucking business will be added to the unwritten local blacklist.

Thanks for the input guys.

For future reference. most auto parts stores will plug in a code reader for no charge and diagnose your check engine light. You can then make a decision weather or not you want to walk back in and purchase the corrective parts or roll over to the dealer that will "flat rate" you for 2 hours of Bull Shit labor for very little actual work.

Yeah, thats what I kind of figured. Looking over the bill they charged me $27.00 for the first inspection that failed, $37.00 for the second inspection that passed, $451.16 for what I read as 2 02 sensors, 2 hours labor to install them at $80.00/hr, 1 hour labor to test drive(?????) at $80.00/hr, $39.95 for the oil change, $25.00 to rotate the tires, and $65.00 for tax......So once again not only have they shoved the umbrella up my ass, but they have opened it too.

So, now, because I feel that they can no longer be trusted to do the right thing they just lost 1000's of dollars servicing my business vehicles every year and they have GAINED a whole lot of bad mouth press as I relate this tale to all of my contractor bretheren. Another rotten fucking business will be added to the unwritten local blacklist.

Ax, if it makes you feel any better, I have a local POS BMW dealer that can be added to your list!

jim

Sure sounds like you've been hosed. What does the dealer have to say?

These service depts are money machines. I once had a Honda dealer diagnose a ratty running engine on an Accord. It was only a bad rotor. They said I needed a new air filter. I gave the OK since they seemed honest about the rotor. They charged me something like $12 to install the filter. I complained that for them to tell me it needed replacing, they had to have the old one out already, and that I could change an air filter in about 2 minutes. :ph34r: They explained that with their flat rate charts, they had to charge me the minimum for that job, which was 10 or 15 minutes. I argued and won, but I sure watch out for the new car dealers after that.

Get the Heck off Lon gI land. Don't deal with dealers. Find a small local you can trust. If there is such a thing.

Same reason I won't buy the YES for the bike. I won't let them people touch my bike even if it is free. My jerk Yamaha dealer wanted $500 to for two tires mounted and balanced. I laughed in his face and walked out.

In shop hours 10min = 1 hr, they round up. My personal favorite is the book time- local shops charge the greater of the book time and the actual time to finish the job :dribble: Yet whenever I take my car in for a tire change they are booked up.

They charged twice for the inspection? Here in Texas, if you fail it, you then can fix the car and they will retest, but I don't think they charge again. AT least they didn't used to. Yes it was too much for the O2 sensors. Most can be had for $99 or less. Install is not always super easy because of the heat involved where they are located. Hopefully the person that put them in, did it correctly. The only thing I could imagine is they went right to a Toyota dealership and bought from them. It seems those parts are always more expensive. I finally found a reputable guy to work on vehicles and do it all myself unless I don't have the tools or time. I can't stand dealerships..........

Bryan

It does not seem likely that both O2 sensors failed. Normally the code will indicate which one is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
This only relates to the cost involved but had a PCM module go out in my Dakota. Went to get the codes checked at the local auto parts. They told me what it was but the dealer was the only place to buy it as they are not exchangable nor can you install a used one on another vehicle. So the dealer said they come from the factory blank and the dealer installs the software then it's installed on the vehicle. They have purposely made them to be only a dealer item. $900. :angry2:

Get the Heck off Lon gI land. Don't deal with dealers. Find a small local you can trust. If there is such a thing.
Same reason I won't buy the YES for the bike. I won't let them people touch my bike even if it is free. My jerk Yamaha dealer wanted $500 to for two tires mounted and balanced. I laughed in his face and walked out.
Dont' feel alone... the cheapest I can find here is $400 for 2 tires mounted and balanced on the bike... off the bike, about $100 less....

Mary