Question about bike comm systems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

automag928

Reaction score
Ok - I am very close to biting the bullet on a comm system for the bike and just wanted some opinions or maybe better ways to do what I want. After doing quite a bit of searching, it seems (and keep in mind this is all IMHO) alot of people (including the bmwsporttouring website) use Autocom. Starcom seems to be getting good reviews, but I did not see quite as many people with the Starcom as the autocom. However, because of Jeff / Sportbike Effects being a sponsor here plus the starcom being cheaper and I really havent read any negative reviews, I am leaning towards that solution. I dont want to turn this into autocom vs starcom vs others, I'm looking for opinions on how to implement one on my bike.

Now my plan...Tell me if this would work or if anyone has a better way. I was planing on doing a tank bag setup simply because it would be easier to leave my expensive accessories in the bag and take that with me going to work, rather than have to take the time box / lock everything up when I stop. I ride the bike pretty much everyday its not crappy weather out, and I'm usually on it 30+ minutes one way.

So, with the starcom advance unit in a tank bag, an 8500 x50 for radar, ipod for tunes, and cell phone also in there. I also would prefer to use my current earbuds, the ER6s, instead of the regular in helmet speakers. Can I wire all those accessories to be powered via the 12 volt powerlet I have which is currently not being used? In other words, have one cable coming out of the back of the bag to power everything, and then one cable connecting up to my helmet for earbuds and mic? Down the line I may add XM and/or a nav unit and possibly a scanner like the uniden bct8 - would all this be feasible?

Thanks!

sure that'll work. You'll get all sorts of varying opinions, but what works for you is what works. There are many people that follow your tank bag strategy. My Starcom is under my seat. It's locked there so it's safe. 30 thousand trouble free miles with my Starcom used for intercom, iPod and two way radio. The radio is a recent addition.

As long as you're mentioning BMWSportTouring.com, here's a link to one of the best electronic tankbag setups I've ever seen.

As for Autocom vs. Starcom, both work. IMHO, Autocom is more robust, has better cables and plugs, better technical support, two-year warranty and more dealers. But Starcom does a decent job and it costs less. It's a judgment call. For the money, you probably won't be disappointed with Starcom. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my tankbag. Let us know how yours turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's almost exactly the setup I have. Starcomm Advance in a powered tank bag from a Powerlet on my left lower fairing that turns on with key. I have a V1 instead of an 8500 and a Garmin 2730 that accounts for the GPS/XM/MP3, a cell phone, and also adding a CB. I was using helmet speakers, but switched to ER-6s. See this thread for pics.

All you described seems feasbile...except for the scanner. I would assume so if it has an audio output and you haven't run out of ports by then. Personally, I have 1) V1, 2) GPS/MP3/XM, 3) Cell Phone, 4) CB.

Personally, I have 1) V1, 2) GPS/MP3/XM, 3) Cell Phone, 4) CB.
Got any details on the CB setup?
Actually, working on that now. I've had it hooked up with a handheld in the tankbag, but haven't yet installed a decent antennae and it was fairly worthless. Keep an eye on this blog in the next few weeks and I'll be dedicating a post to that exact subject as I make a mount for the handlebars, how I'll rig it to the Starcom, and installation/placement of a 3 foot antennae. It will most resemble what DougC has set up.

I have starcom mounted under my seat. It works great communicating with passenger, listening to mp3 player and I have it ready to work bike to bike. I haven't used bike to bike at hwy speed yet but it works in the garage. The one prob I am having is the cell phone. The phone set on auto answer will not ring in my helmet so I don't know when to say Hello. I called my wife one day and then started riding. When we ended the call, I couldn't disconnect. I don't know if this is a phone problem or a starcomm prob.

I have starcom mounted under my seat. It works great communicating with passenger, listening to mp3 player and I have it ready to work bike to bike. I haven't used bike to bike at hwy speed yet but it works in the garage. The one prob I am having is the cell phone. The phone set on auto answer will not ring in my helmet so I don't know when to say Hello. I called my wife one day and then started riding. When we ended the call, I couldn't disconnect. I don't know if this is a phone problem or a starcomm prob.
I have used several phones with the Starcom, all Motorola. Some will ring in the helmet and some won't. It is telephone specific and I don't know which ones ring and which ones do not. Any should hang up, though. Again, is a telephone & headset setting menu item on the phone.