Question for KC area members

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
Hi, I recently joined after lurking for some months.

I'm shopping for an '08.

There seem to be from the member map about a dozen members w/in the greater KC area.

Where did you all buy?

Where do you have service?

Any dealers to stay away from?

I checked the dealer feedback discussion and did a search for KC, MO, KS and didn't get anything helpful to my search.

My closest dealer is Renos but I've mainly dealt with Freedom Kawa b/c I own a Kaw Vulcan cruiser.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lee

I didn't buy mine new, but I kinda sorta bought it from Liberty Cycle. One of their part-time sales guys was in the mode for getting a new FJR every year, and I bought his 05 when he took delivery of his 06.

Maybe this story will help, maybe not...

I needed to get a new batter this spring. I went to my closest dealer, which is a LARGE place on Barry Road near I-29. When the parts guy finally decided I was worthy of his attention, he simply said "what do you need?". I said "a battery for a 2005 FJR". He said "who makes that? I've never heard of it." I should have walked out, but I let him look it up, only to find out that they didn't have one in stock. No offer to order me one. He simply turned his back on me and walked away after informing me that they didn't have a battery in stock.

I went over to Liberty. The parts guy there said "05? That's the blue one, right? ABS or non-ABS?". He didn't have one in stock, but gave me two options for batteries that he could order. When it came in, he called me and said that I should wait another day to pick up the battery because he was putting it on a charger for me.

That's my limited experience with the dealers over the last two years. Liberty Cycle is getting all my business for the Yamaha from here on out.

bw

Hi, I recently joined after lurking for some months.I'm shopping for an '08.

There seem to be from the member map about a dozen members w/in the greater KC area.

Where did you all buy?

I checked the dealer feedback discussion and did a search for KC, MO, KS and didn't get anything helpful to my search.

My closest dealer is Renos but I've mainly dealt with Freedom Kawa b/c I own a Kaw Vulcan cruiser.

Lee

I realize I am NOT in the KC area but I have had VERY good service with Clark's motorsports in Garden City KS. The whole team seems to be very personable. I also know they have an 07 they want to get rid of. Don't know if you would be interested or not by Charles Clark is the person I have dealt with. Their phone number is (620)271-9380. Good Luck! John N.

I didn't buy mine new, but I kinda sorta bought it from Liberty Cycle. One of their part-time sales guys was in the mode for getting a new FJR every year, and I bought his 05 when he took delivery of his 06.

Maybe this story will help, maybe not...

I needed to get a new batter this spring. I went to my closest dealer, which is a LARGE place on Barry Road near I-29. When the parts guy finally decided I was worthy of his attention, he simply said "what do you need?". I said "a battery for a 2005 FJR". He said "who makes that? I've never heard of it." I should have walked out, but I let him look it up, only to find out that they didn't have one in stock. No offer to order me one. He simply turned his back on me and walked away after informing me that they didn't have a battery in stock.

I went over to Liberty. The parts guy there said "05? That's the blue one, right? ABS or non-ABS?". He didn't have one in stock, but gave me two options for batteries that he could order. When it came in, he called me and said that I should wait another day to pick up the battery because he was putting it on a charger for me.

That's my limited experience with the dealers over the last two years. Liberty Cycle is getting all my business for the Yamaha from here on out.

bw

bw,

Thanks for the reply. I've been in that big place, spent 20 min walking around looking on one Sat afternoon. Never had a single sales person approach me. It seems pretty cold, and big. I've been to Liberty a couple of times. I shopped for my vulcan there but they didn't have a black one so I bought in St. Paul. They seem smaller and really friendly.

If weather is nice this Saturday I'll probably hit Renos, Shawnee, the one on Barry road you mentioned and then Liberty and just see if anyone wants to talk with me about a '08 for about $12,000.

Lee

I realize I am NOT in the KC area but I have had VERY good service with Clark's motorsports in Garden City KS. The whole team seems to be very personable. I also know they have an 07 they want to get rid of. Don't know if you would be interested or not by Charles Clark is the person I have dealt with. Their phone number is (620)271-9380. Good Luck! John N.
John,

thanks for replying. I'll file this away. I really hope to buy locally. but if no one can come clear the price of $12,099 otd I have a dealer in Altus OK that says he has one in stock and is ready to beat $12,099. Can you say ROAD TRIP?

BTW, one of my good friends up here is from Ulysses. He's about 50, last name is Chilen. Still has some family around there. We went through Ulysses a couple of years back and ate dinner at a mex restaurant that had fantastic green chile stew.

Then we headed on over toward Trinidad CO. That is a long lonely ride from Springfield (?) to Trinidad for the next gas stop.

Thanks again for letting me know about Clark's.

Lee

I bought my 05 FJR new from Shawnee Cycle Plaza in Shawnee, KS and was very satisfied with the purchase and service I had done by them as well. They had a new 08 model on the showroom two weeks ago and seemed very willing to deal.

I bought my 05 FJR new from Shawnee Cycle Plaza in Shawnee, KS and was very satisfied with the purchase and service I had done by them as well. They had a new 08 model on the showroom two weeks ago and seemed very willing to deal.
Hey, thanks for the info.

With any luck I'll get by there on Saturday.

I've kicked the tires there and bought some rain gear there but that is it. Freedom Kawasaki and/or Renos are both closer to my house for the routine stuff.

Anyone in particular you have worked with on their sales crew?

Lee

Runner512,

Looked at your past posts and wondered if you have moved on to an '08 or still sticking with your '05?

I have a friend that has hinted at wanting to buy an FJR. Would your '05 happen to be available?

:ee

Hi, I recently joined after lurking for some months.I'm shopping for an '08.

Where did you all buy?

Lee
Lee,

I bought my '05 FJR (recently wrecked) from a private party in KC but had several tire changes done at Reno's before I bought my own tire machine. I think they treated me pretty well, one time staying past closing time (supposed to close at 5:30 but stayed till almost 7PM) to swap a tire and another time coming in early (6:30AM, but not supposed to open till 8 AM). Both of those times allowed me to make scheduled trips down to Arkansas where you'll find some of the best riding in the country. The owner of Reno's seems to be a friendly guy, always encouraging me to take one of his bikes for a ride.

I visited Shawnee Cycle twice, but got ignored both times, even though things were slow. I didn't get a good vibe there. I used to live next door to Freedom Cycle, but never bought anything there. Good luck!

dbx

Bought a new 05 & later a new 07 from Reno's in south K.C. They did/do all my service work & I have not had a single take back. They were competitive on price. You might find a bit cheaper. I currently have no plans to change dealers. I live about 60 miles from the dealership. Other than being a satisfied customer I have no affiliation with them.

Hi Lee. I bought mine at Warrensburg Cycle. It's may be farther east than you want. They gave me a better deal than the KC dealers I checked. No shipping or set up or doc fees. I do my own service, but I did take it back for some warranty work, and they treated me great. I'll buy there again. ShowMe

Hi Lee. I bought mine at Warrensburg Cycle. It's may be farther east than you want. They gave me a better deal than the KC dealers I checked. No shipping or set up or doc fees. I do my own service, but I did take it back for some warranty work, and they treated me great. I'll buy there again. ShowMe
they are on my list if I enlarge the search from local dealers.

A hundred or so won't make that much difference to me between a local buy and one out of town.

thanks for getting back t ome.

Lee

Bought a new 05 & later a new 07 from Reno's in south K.C. They did/do all my service work & I have not had a single take back. They were competitive on price. You might find a bit cheaper. I currently have no plans to change dealers. I live about 60 miles from the dealership. Other than being a satisfied customer I have no affiliation with them.
Thanks for the report on Reno's. I'd really like for them to have a bike adn meet my price. I'd like to establish a business relationship with a dealer that isn't too far. I can be at Reno's in 10 minutes.

Lee

dbx,

Good to hear. I'm beginning to hear things that make me think they have a loyal following.

Lee

I've seen Black 08's at Honda Yamaha North and at the Yamaha dealer in Lawrence. I was not too impressed with the Lawrence dealership. Honda Yamaha North had a used 05 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a non-ABS '05 that might be available. PM me if you would like more info. Close to 15k miles, Yamaha trunk, throttlemeister, dash shelf, 1" bar risers, etc. Gonna need a rear tire soon.

I'm going to be out of town all weekend, so I won't be able to respond until Sunday night.

Bill in Parkville

Runner512,

Looked at your past posts and wondered if you have moved on to an '08 or still sticking with your '05?

I have a friend that has hinted at wanting to buy an FJR. Would your '05 happen to be available?

I've seen Black 08's at Honda Yamaha North and at the Yamaha dealer in Lawrence. I was not too impressed with the Lawrence dealership. Honda Yamaha North had a used 05 as well.
I had breakfast with a friend that stopped by there last night. He didn't see an '08 but did see an '07AE on the floor. He didnd't mention the '05, maybe b/c he knows I want an '08.

None-the-less Honda Yam North is on my list if this is the one on Barry Road. Lawrence is on my second tier list along with Warrensburg, Sedalia, Topeka, etc.

Thanks for the response and the info.

I have a non-ABS '05 that might be available. PM me if you would like more info. Close to 15k miles, Yamaha trunk, throttlemeister, dash shelf, 1" bar risers, etc. Gonna need a rear tire soon.
I'm going to be out of town all weekend, so I won't be able to respond until Sunday night.

Bill in Parkville

Runner512,

Bill,

Had breakfast with him this morning. He is waiting until he can afford a new bike, wants ABS.

Thanks for your response. If I hear of others interested or if he changes his mind I'll be in touch.

Lee

I purchased my 2004 FJR from Reno's and the purchase went very smooth. The dealership is only 10 minutes south of my location and I purchased from them for that primary reason. They have also done the service work that I am not able to do myself and I am been satisified with their work.

I purchased my 2004 FJR from Reno's and the purchase went very smooth. The dealership is only 10 minutes south of my location and I purchased from them for that primary reason. They have also done the service work that I am not able to do myself and I am been satisified with their work.
Thanks for the endorsement. Renos is my number one stop on the circuit of KC area yamaha dealers. It will be interesting to see what sort of responses I get in my search.

Lee