Quick Newbie Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyRider

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a left over 07 FJR this weekend. I've only sat on one at the dealer, never rode one. I've been out of riding for around 16 years, so last year I bought a old cruiser bike to commute to work on (1982 CB900C) and see if my wife would enjoy riding again like prior to having children. Well she does and now have a green light to upgrade.

My question is how comfortable is the FJR for guys like me with long legs (34" inseam) after one hour plus in the saddle. The cruiser I have now is painful after about an hour (leg cramps). Thanks

Domenic

Last edited by a moderator:
HR,

You're not likely to find anyone on this forum that's going to try to talk you out of an FJR. ;-)

My almost 58 year old 33 inch inseam knees can't take much more than an hour before they start complaining. My solution is to stop approximately every hour to stretch my legs (knees) and fluff my underwear. Following that pattern I can ride all day without issue.

I suspect that once you ride the FJR you'll make any adjustment necessary to do it again and often.

... My solution is to stop approximately every hour to stretch my legs (knees) and fluff my underwear. Following that pattern I can ride all day without issue.
Hmmmmm... Maybe it's my 30" inseam that allows me to fluff MY underwear without ever getting off the bike???

:)

You must mean something different than my habit.

Bout the only thing you may want to do to the FJR right away is get a taller windscreen. If you are over 5'10" the screen seems too short for some people. Maybe some bar riser but that should be about it.

Thanks for the replies, I stop every 30-45 minutes as is. My knees are just up near my face now! I sure the FJR will be a great improvement and plan on the purchase regardless. We only do day trips, no rides over two hours in one direction that could change on the FJR. Thanks

Domenic

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, I stop every 30-45 minutes as is. My knees are just up near my face now! I sure the FJR will be a great improvement and plan on the purchase regardless. We only do day trips, no rides over two hours in one direction that could WILL change on the FJR. Thanks
Domenic
There, Domenic, I fixed it for you! :rolleyes: The seating position on the FJR is fairly relaxed...and as I said to answer this question on the other thread, we usually stop evey hour or so for that very reason. Most passengers appreciate getting off to stretch.

I am 55 with 36 inseam and arthritis in my hips etc.

FJR very comfortable for me with the risers put on.

I have a 2004 and my only problem is that I can't find enough time to ride.

Roger

Thanks for the replies, I stop every 30-45 minutes as is. My knees are just up near my face now! I sure the FJR will be a great improvement and plan on the purchase regardless. We only do day trips, no rides over two hours in one direction that could change on the FJR. Thanks
Domenic
It will be better than the cruiser for sure. Most any standard would be. That said, some folks have gone to a taller saddle to make them more comfortable. One option is a Russell Day Long which raises you about an inch w/o any specific requests for a higher seat. Any custom seat maker will do similar mods for you. Another option is highway pegs to allow you to stretch out when you want. Do search on Wild Bill and you should come up with the contact info if that idea interests you.

We could always meet up somewhere and you could try mine out, it's a 2005. I'm in the minority around here and still have the stock seat and shield opting for the sport side of touring.

You have to be a great guy if you ride a Husky, or maybe that's a size reference. :rolleyes: I'm not small but love the ergonomics as shipped, one of the few bikes that doesn't fold you up too much or look like a mini bike on someone 6'1".

Let me know...

Hello,
I’m seriously considering the purchase of a left over 07 FJR this weekend. I’ve only sat on one at the dealer, never rode one. I’ve been out of riding for around 16 years, so last year I bought a old cruiser bike to commute to work on (1982 CB900C) and see if my wife would enjoy riding again like prior to having children. Well she does and now have a green light to upgrade.

My question is how comfortable is the FJR for guys like me with long legs (34” inseam) after one hour plus in the saddle. The cruiser I have now is painful after about an hour (leg cramps). Thanks

Domenic
Hi Domenic,

I am 6' with 34" inseam. I bought my 2007 FJR on June 4th in Rochester, NY (while visiting friends and attending my retirement party) and rode the 897 miles to my home in Cookeville, TN on June 5th. I was completely comfortable during the 15 hour ride- - -except for the driving rain and 47 degree temps! I have added GenMar bar riser, 2" taller windshield and the Yamaha rear trunk. I have 8,000 + miles now and the bike is fantastic. My wife loves it also- - -any questions- - -931-284-8870.

Wes

We could always meet up somewhere and you could try mine out, it's a 2005. I'm in the minority around here and still have the stock seat and shield opting for the sport side of touring.You have to be a great guy if you ride a Husky, or maybe that's a size reference. :rolleyes: I'm not small but love the ergonomics as shipped, one of the few bikes that doesn't fold you up too much or look like a mini bike on someone 6'1".

Let me know...
I'm 6'2" 230..Raced Husqvarna's in the mid 70's through 82..Sold my restored 82 500CR two years ago. Switched to Yamaha YZ's then WR's in 99 for CC. Just gave up the dirt and sold my 07 Husqvarna TE450, I can't recover from injuries like I did when I was young. Savings ton's of money going back to street from dirt now :yahoo:

Good information here, I feel confident that the FJR will suit my needs..I just love inline four bikes and can't wait to go shopping this weekend..Thanks

Bout the only thing you may want to do to the FJR right away is get a taller windscreen. If you are over 5'10" the screen seems too short for some people. Maybe some bar riser but that should be about it.
Sorry, I can't resist... <_<

You will want to do A LOT MORE than just "this" & "that". The darn thing is a bit adictive to be honest. That said, you will find a VERY capable bike right out of the box that will work great with minimal adjustment.

The problem is this: You find you like it so much that you want to be on it more and more. Then you want to tweak a little something here or there and then you like it more... want to be on it more... want to tweak it more...

...you get the idea? :dribble:

I love this bike... I'd buy another without a second thought.

Oh, wait, I DID buy another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

You state: "We only do day trips, no rides over two hours in one direction; that could change on the FJR."

Uh...I predict that WILL change once you realize a 500-mile day can be done routinely, and once you understand you can haul enough stuff for two for a week (if you do laundry out on the road, or wear everything twice, two weeks, easy!).

I'm 6'2 225# and I like the seat in the upper position. The seat is long enough to actually move around which also helps change the knee angle a bit on longer rides. I think you'll like it.

You state: "We only do day trips, no rides over two hours in one direction; that could change on the FJR."
Uh...I predict that WILL change once you realize a 500-mile day can be done routinely, and once you understand you can haul enough stuff for two for a week (if you do laundry out on the road, or wear everything twice, two weeks, easy!).
Well long trips will be an option on the FJR.. My wife has been suggesting taking long trips and hence the need for a better bike. Before I installed a Corbin seat on the H#*!da she wanted off the bike after 50 miles. Sounds like the bike will be just fine for my riding and also a fun bike to own. Thanks

Domenic

Well long trips will be an option on the FJR.. My wife has been suggesting taking long trips and hence the need for a better bike. Before I installed a Corbin seat on the H#*!da she wanted off the bike after 50 miles. Sounds like the bike will be just fine for my riding and also a fun bike to own. Thanks
Domenic

Sounds like your mind is made up. Good. You'll like this bike.

Tips from another 34" inseamer:

- Hook up some highway pegs. I have the Wild Bill mounts and Kuryakin pegs. Search on that here and you'll find photos from others with the same set up. I've found that being able to move my legs to a different position is a huge improvement.

- Figure that you'll want to change the saddle but try the stocker first. If you do want to change, go with one of the custom makers -- Russell, Bill Mayer (the co. is actually run by son Rocky), or Rick Mayer (the other son). People have been much happier with those than the off-the-rack Corbins or Sargents.

Hello,
I’m seriously considering the purchase of a left over 07 FJR this weekend. I’ve only sat on one at the dealer, never rode one. I’ve been out of riding for around 16 years, so last year I bought a old cruiser bike to commute to work on (1982 CB900C) and see if my wife would enjoy riding again like prior to having children. Well she does and now have a green light to upgrade.

My question is how comfortable is the FJR for guys like me with long legs (34” inseam) after one hour plus in the saddle. The cruiser I have now is painful after about an hour (leg cramps). Thanks

Domenic

Even in worst case if cramps developed, there are several adjustments to bars, seat, and aftermarket that you could use to adapt the bike to your preferences. My dealer, Battleys, offered a test ride too. Having just come from a cruiser, except for maybe the seat, I can say that it was definately a big improvment to an FJR for general relaxation and overall satisfaction (32" inseam).

Hello,

Domenic

Even in worst case if cramps developed, there are several adjustments to bars, seat, and aftermarket that you could use to adapt the bike to your preferences. My dealer, Battleys, offered a test ride too. Having just come from a cruiser, except for maybe the seat, I can say that it was definately a big improvment to an FJR for general relaxation and overall satisfaction (32" inseam).
Sounds like the is 100% better out of the box..I guess my problem is that the Honda is the first cruiser type bike I've ever rode... Great classic bike, air suspended, shaft drive, 10-speed, inline air cooled 4... 26 years-old and runs like new..

The bike got my wife excited about riding, and has me buying a new FJR. So thanks for all the good vibes and see you guys on the road very soon! :yahoo:

... My solution is to stop approximately every hour to stretch my legs (knees) and fluff my underwear. Following that pattern I can ride all day without issue.
Hmmmmm... Maybe it's my 30" inseam that allows me to fluff MY underwear without ever getting off the bike???

:)

You must mean something different than my habit.
tmi, TMI... [SIZE=14pt]TMI![/SIZE]