Quieter exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
I installed Blue Flame EVO Stainless Steel Twin Outlet exhaust cans on my FJR. Love the look but would like to quiet them down a little bit. Does anyone know if this is possible? Are there baffles available that would lighten the exhaust note without greatly affecting performance? thanks

I installed Blue Flame EVO Stainless Steel Twin Outlet exhaust cans on my FJR. Love the look but would like to quiet them down a little bit. Does anyone know if this is possible? Are there baffles available that would lighten the exhaust note without greatly affecting performance? thanks
Hi there!

I don't have a solution for you.....I just wanted to pipe up how about pleased I am to see someone who wants to "pipe down".

Elsewhere, even on this site unfortunately, strange people who have just come into possession of a new (to them) motorcycle immediately (for some bizarre reason) go about drilling holes in or cutting parts off the perfectly designed, QUIET, factory exhaust system.

It should be outlawed to mess with a stock exhaust system simply to make it louder. If someone wants to get more attention......become a stand-up comic for crying out loud! (pun intended)

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through this ordeal with a 2 Brothers can on my CBR250R whose sound level can only be described as ear shattering. No kidding, it was PAINFUL.

I bought new packing (FMF 4 Stroke) thinking they skimped at the factory. After taking it apart it was so packed with .. uh.. packing I couldn't squeeze another square inch into it.

So then I tried an old school chopper trick. I mounted a thumbscrew inside the silencer with two nuts, one on top, the other under. This lets you turn the thumbscrew to adjust the volume/backpressure. That helped a lot but not enough.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

I ended up buying a strainer for a bar sink from Lowes and mounting that inside the tip (after removing the thumbscrew). To quiet. So I drilled a 9/16" hole in the center. Perfect. Halfway between the stock Honda can (sewing machine) and the wake the dead 2 Brothers.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Muzzy and Leo Vince both offer their own in-house internal baffle that is simply an inner tube that mounts at the end of the muffler and extends down a few inches into the main pipe's can - it's still straight through, the sound just bounces back and forth, makes a huge difference.

I ended up buying a strainer for a bar sink from Lowes and mounting that inside the tip (after removing the thumbscrew). To quiet. So I drilled a 9/16" hole in the center. Perfect. Halfway between the stock Honda can (sewing machine) and the wake the dead 2 Brothers
How did this mod effect the performance of the pipe? The main reason for an aftermarket pipe, I hope, is for is the performance, not the sound. Personally, I'd prefer my bike to be as quiet as my car, I don't see any reason to make unnecessary noise.

Throwing an air restriction in there must effect the performance.

In most cases, swapping out the exhaust can on a fuel injected bike has negligible effect on performance.

On an FJR you would be hard pressed to feel any difference, except of course the one in your mind from having a louder exhaust and twisting the grip to turn up the volume.

Hi there!

I don't have a solution for you.....I just wanted to pipe up how about pleased I am to see someone who wants to "pipe down".

Elsewhere, even on this site unfortunately, strange people who have just come into possession of a new (to them) motorcycle immediately (for some bizarre reason) go about drilling holes in or cutting parts off the perfectly designed, QUIET, factory exhaust system.

It should be outlawed to mess with a stock exhaust system simply to make it louder. If someone wants to get more attention......become a stand-up comic for crying out loud! (pun intended)

Michael
You might be partially correct. Some my what more noise, but not all. I'm one of those guys who want to hear my engine thru exhaust note... Not loud, but not completely neutered either.

I get the impression that is also what the OP is looking for.

In most cases, swapping out the exhaust can on a fuel injected bike has negligible effect on performance.

On an FJR you would be hard pressed to feel any difference, except of course the one in your mind from having a louder exhaust and twisting the grip to turn up the volume.
I guess I just don't get it. Spending $700+ on exhaust mods with little or no performance enhancement and makes your bike louder? Am I alone here?

Why not just disconnect the pipe entirely? That should do the same thing.

I'd pay more for a quiter exhaust.

I guess I just don't get it. Spending $700+ on exhaust mods with little or no performance enhancement and makes your bike louder? Am I alone here?

Why not just disconnect the pipe entirely? That should do the same thing.

I'd pay more for a quiter exhaust.
I doubt that you are alone, but if you have to ask you probably will not understand.

That being said from someone who has a stock exhaust set up, but does understand.

Muzzy and Leo Vince both offer their own in-house internal baffle that is simply an inner tube that mounts at the end of the muffler and extends down a few inches into the main pipe's can - it's still straight through, the sound just bounces back and forth, makes a huge difference.
I have a Muzzy exhaust system. I installed the quiet core from Muzzy and it helped quiet it down some. I also repacked the muffler with Hindle packing and it quieted it down even more. It is still pretty loud when you are directly behind me while I get accelerate, but sounds OK otherwise. The core of the Muzzy is a tube made of expanded steel. The packing fits between the core and the housing of the muffler. The quiet core has a short pipe inside one end of the expanded steel core. Muzzy packing is loose fiber inside a plastic bag. Hindle packing is a dense blanket that wraps around the core of the muffler.

FWIW, The reason I replaced the stock exhaust system with the Muzzy header and muffler is not for the loud sound or for added HP, but because the Muzzy header does not give off the heat that you get from the stock exhaust.

Ok I'll PIPE UP here.... I put on Leo Vince and I love the sound !! Not too loud and not too quiet....

I took out the stock removable baffles - I have no plans on putting them back in - perhaps they would fit into the pipe you have... They are 1" 3/8s OD pipe, and about 4" 1/4 before the bend - If they could possibly work for you I'd be happy to mail them out...

Here's a pic

IMG_20111001_142932.jpg

Ok I'll PIPE UP here.... I put on Leo Vince and I love the sound !! Not too loud and not too quiet....

I took out the stock removable baffles - I have no plans on putting them back in - perhaps they would fit into the pipe you have... They are 1" 3/8s OD pipe, and about 4" 1/4 before the bend - If they could possibly work for you I'd be happy to mail them out...

Here's a pic

IMG_20111001_142932.jpg

no, but thanks for the offer

Got a bud who runs loud pipes on his FJR - annoyingly loud. So he wears ear plugs to protect his hearing. I don't get it.

Here's a pic

IMG_20111001_142932.jpg
Did you notice those baffles gave your Leo Vince a funny sound at Idle? A lot of turbulence or popping on my setup, kind of cool sounding. only at idle.

Aftermarket pipes will not add anything to an FJR. That wont happen unless the cats are pulled from the headers or the headers themselves are replaced. Then, the power band gets moved into higher revs, sort of defeating the purpose of adding power anyway.

On my VTX, there were no cats, and replacing the pipes made a huge power difference...but that's a different set up.

Do I like a throatier sound? Yes! I prefer some noise over none, but currently with the Trooper Mod having been done on my bike, there is almost no difference in sound after 2nd gear.

Would I like a set of 2bros? Absolutely! Do I wanna pay $800 for bling and a little weight loss? I guess if I had more money just lying around I would, but eventually I'll pony up...Eventually.