Radiator Cover Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TWN:
How well does your silver one match the 04's silver?  Assuming you have an 04..

Thanks,

Phlash
Mines and '05. The color is unpolished aluminum (as opposed to gay-ass polished). Turn your pop can upside-down if you wanna get close.
TWN,

Do you like the look of the color you have? I have reached the point on my farkle list where it's time to order a radiator guard myself and I'd like to know what you think.

How well does your silver one match the 04's silver?
Can't say about the silver, but I got a blue one for my '04 and it looks great. It matches the blue ring on the FJR logo on the fairing. The paint still holding up well after two years, 32K miles.

FWIW, I think the blue would clash with the '05. Not that anyone would bend over and try to get a look at your Cox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that anyone would bend over and try to get a look at your Cox.
Beware of the Package Peeper. Looks like a man in a flight attendant outfit, and speaks with a girly voice.

TWN:
How well does your silver one match the 04's silver?  Assuming you have an 04..

Thanks,

Phlash
Mines and '05. The color is unpolished aluminum (as opposed to gay-ass polished). Turn your pop can upside-down if you wanna get close.
TWN,

Do you like the look of the color you have? I have reached the point on my farkle list where it's time to order a radiator guard myself and I'd like to know what you think.
Yup, It has a nice bug and tar spattered patina to it and matches my once gay-assed, polished aluminum SuperBrace...

I made one. Got a sheet of aluminum grate from Home Depot, and a couple of pieces of thin angle alu strips to make edging. Made a pattern out of poster board. Not too much trouble. Total investment about $10.00. Painted it flat black using a rattle can found in the garage. Attached with one zip tie (black), found in the bottom drawer of the tool box.

Looks good, works good, and was cheap. Like me. My kind of modification!

;)

Jaybird, a rad guard is like wearing a condom. Better safe than sorry.Yes a rock can punture the rad. It happens. If it happens your bike is down, period, until fixed.

The Cox guard is great. No problems getting it, it goes in lickety split (5 min) and it works. It also comes back out lickety split for cleaning. Nothing needs to be modified to slap this on and the price is nice.

IMHO.
did you guys use the foam pads or the zip ties at all?

Seems that the horn brackets will keep the top in place and I just used the bottom bolt?

My Christmas Gift!!!

did you guys use the foam pads or the zip ties at all?Seems that the horn brackets will keep the top in place and I just used the bottom bolt?
Mine has been sitting on the workbench for a couple weeks. I tried it on for fit last week and thought about putting the foam pieces on both sides of the guard on the top corners so it would fit snug between the radiator and horn brackets. Haven't actually done it yet.

did you guys use the foam pads or the zip ties at all?Seems that the horn brackets will keep the top in place and I just used the bottom bolt?
Mine has been sitting on the workbench for a couple weeks. I tried it on for fit last week and thought about putting the foam pieces on both sides of the guard on the top corners so it would fit snug between the radiator and horn brackets. Haven't actually done it yet.
There is a little play if you push on it but I don't see how you would be able to get the ties in and what they would go around. Not a lot of room in there at all.

The foam pieces sound like a good idea to keep it tight. I was just worried about having to count on the foam over time...

Santa, left a Beowulf guard under the tree! :D

Now only 90 days left to the riding season opens (16F low 24F high at the moment) :(

I like the blue Cox, but it doesn't match the Galaxy Blue...check it out here...
My Blue Cox mounted
Thank you GunMD for uploading the picture of your radiator guard to the SportbikeEffects.com photo gallery. That is exactly the reason that I made the new gallery for.

I like the blue Cox, but it doesn't match the Galaxy Blue...check it out here...
My Blue Cox mounted
Thank you GunMD for uploading the picture of your radiator guard to the SportbikeEffects.com photo gallery. That is exactly the reason that I made the new gallery for.
If all it takes is a picture of my Cox to make you happy, then I'm glad I could help.

DSCF0005.jpg

this should be a a stock item on the FJR or any bike :russian:

Cheap insurance for $65.00

Jdog :punk:

@ Geezer, mount the dang thang! Over the years we seen too manyposts that start out: "I got my new sliders/radiator guard/tires/etc. this week, but didn't have time to put them on before Saturday's Ride. Guess what.....?" :(

Tempting fate to have a protective device in the garage collecting dust. ;)

madmike2,

Thanks for your concern. You are absolutely right. I did mount my sliders as soon as I got them. A week later, while I was out of town, my daughter took the FJR out and dropped it in a low speed traffic incident. The sliders saved me (her actually) quite a lot.

The COX will go on this week. My driveway is aver 600 feet long and covered with a couple inches of ice right now so I won't be taking the bike out any time soon.

FWIW, I think the blue *rad guard* would clash with the '05.
The picture above pretty much confirms that... :blink:
Yea, I asked my wife for the blue one first then changed it to black but she ended up getting the blue by mistake (mine of course).

I wonder if anyone has tried painting black over the blue anodized and how it would hold up?

madmike2,
Thanks for your concern. You are absolutely right. I did mount my sliders as soon as I got them. A week later, while I was out of town, my daughter took the FJR out and dropped it in a low speed traffic incident. The sliders saved me (her actually) quite a lot.

The COX will go on this week. My driveway is aver 600 feet long and covered with a couple inches of ice right now so I won't be taking the bike out any time soon.
OK, it is installed. I was planning on adding some extra foam to the front of the guard so it would fit tight between the radiator and horn brackets but it is snug enough with just the foam on the back of the guard. I did not use the tie wraps. Mine is the black COX.