Radiator Cover Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Sparky3008,

Yea, I asked my wife for the blue one first then changed it to black but she ended up getting the blue by mistake (mine of course).I wonder if anyone has tried painting black over the blue anodized and how it would hold up?
Maybe call Cox service dept and explain problem (not the wife's fault) and see if you can get a swap. If not, condsider selling the blue one on the board here to someone with an '04 Cruelian Silver FJR. The blue guard looks fantastic on the '04.

As for painting the guard, I can't say, but the blue anodized has held up very well for 2 years on my '04, 32K miles. Would be a shame to paint if you didn't have to...but with miracle products these days, prolly not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a black Cox also. Nothing else to add, I just wanted to say that.

Sorry. I figured since the rad is black, the black guard would be the same. If the high paid designers at Yamaha wanted that area to be blue, they would have given me a blue rad.

I mounted mine with the bolt only, tucked under the horn brackets on top. I did use foam in the center(little square) and on a few of the edges. I did this after noticing a shiny rub spot in the center of the rad. Anywhere it looked like it would touch the rad I used some foam. Home depot weatherstrip foam is fine. 4k miles and no issues. A Fenda Extenda was installed at the same time.

I'm sure Cox would exchange if you pay the freight. Worst case if you did have to paint it every once in awhile, one bolt and it's off, give it a quick shot, and then back on.