Radiator guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schurke

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a radiator guard. Have found three mfrs. Two are stainless & one is aluminum. I am soliciting comments, pro & con on the benefits/detriments of each. The aluminum & one of the stainless is available stateside. The other stainless is from the UK. Thx in advance for your input.

It helps if you specifically name them....and even a link to the websites. Otherwise, some of use might try to use our Jedi mind reading skills.......kind of like I think the first one sucks, the second one rocks, and the third one is so-so :blink:

....I have a Cox and like it.

I also have the COX. Mine is black. It was easy to install, fit and finish are nice, and it looks good. I have not, fortunately, tested it for function.

I would assume that a steel guard is stronger than aluminum, all other things being equal, and would provide better protection when hit by a big rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the 06' come with a rad guard? If not, that will be a pretty tricky one to build considering the curved radiator. Hmmm.........

I have a black Cox rad guard on my '05. Easy install. has not been "road tested" for function...yet!

Also added Fenda Extenda for added protection...soothes my paranoia!

The Aluminum guard is marketed by Cox. One of the stainless is mfgd by Beowulf in the UK. The other is by Meissner & can be ordered thru Wild Hair. The Meissner is the most expensive at $130.00-$140.00 + shipping. The Beowulf is about $78.00 + shipping. I have some reservations about the aluminum guard. Not sure it is sturdy enough. Lots of the roads I travel have a significant amt of gravel on them.

Both of the stainless look like there could be significant air flow restriction. My concerns are probably unfounded but if you don't ask you won't know.

I made a radiator guard from some aluminum mesh I found at Home Depot, along with some 1/2" aluminum angle stock to make edges.

I took some measurements, cut a template out of poster board, fit and trimmed a bit, then used the template to cut the mesh. Squeezed the angle stock shut along the edges of the mesh, a rattle-can flat black paint job, a black zip tie to hold it on, and I've got a functional and neat-looking rad guard for about $10 and a couple of hours of time.

But I'm a cheap SOB. :D

I made a radiator guard from some aluminum mesh I found at Home Depot, along with some 1/2" aluminum angle stock to make edges.
I took some measurements, cut a template out of poster board, fit and trimmed a bit, then used the template to cut the mesh. Squeezed the angle stock shut along the edges of the mesh, a rattle-can flat black paint job, a black zip tie to hold it on, and I've got a functional and neat-looking rad guard for about $10 and a couple of hours of time.

But I'm a cheap SOB. :D
You may call yourself cheap. I'll just say great minds think alike...

I did the exact same thing. I would post the link to the original on EZboard, but naturally the SEARCH function on that POS site works like its on drugs.

-BD

I have the cox also. easy to install. Seems to work fine. $73.95 to my door. If you have any talent at all you can spend a couple bucks a Home Depot and make one just like it in an hour. :blink:

Red abnd Brun,

Thanks alot, I did the same thing but was afraid to admit it as I was sure I would be hare-assed something bad by the money men here. If it weren't for "backyard" mechanics where would we be?

:jester:

Here is the one i bought for my FJR from COX

DSCF0005.jpg

J Dog

Has anyone had increased heat problems due to a radiator guard? They look cool and would do the rock catching job well I'm sure. I just wonder if blocking the breeze would contribute to more heat bars on the dash......????

A few of you have probably heard this story before, but for those that haven't here she goes. I installed the BikeJohnny Rad guard shortly after taking delivery of my'04 abs model. The scene was this....rolling thru' Chicago on a Saturday evening, heavy traffic, I am in the far left lane of the expressway. There is a transport trailer in front and in the middle lane. The vacuum behind him picks up a square piece of aluminum lying on the road ( one of those hazard signs on the back of trucks) and this little sucker starts flipping around like a butterfly. I instinctively got down low to the tank, behind the windscreen, because this sucker could decapitate me. The unit bounced off the road on its edge hit my right fork and straight up into my rad guard. The sound of the impact was sickening, I am three long days from the west coast (home) and there is nothing open on Saturday in Chicago at this time of day. I crossed my fingers on my throttle hand and kept rolling until the next fekking toll booth, where after paying my toll, and repeating for the 15th time, no...it's not a BMW, I pulled over to spec the damages. Cut in the paint of the right front fork but no dent, and the rad guard high on the left side looking back at it had a third of an inch dent in it. The rad fins were flattened due to the impact and a small crack in the fairing adjacent. I am convinced the rad guard saved my ass that day, allowing me to continue unaffected.

If you are going to put a guard on, go stainless steel because if you need it, you will be glad you did.

Oh, and no difference on my bike with reduced airflow, heat bars remain the same.

Last edited by a moderator: