Rain liners - Are you an innie or outie?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
First let me say thanks to Jekirby and Toecutter for the advice in the emails.

I have an order in to Motorport of a kevlar jacket and pant. Wayne's rain liners go inside the clothing. I like feedback from those who have had both inner rain liners and outer rain liners. I've never had outer rain gear so I don't know how they perform and reliable they can be. My thinking is it is easier to don rain/wind gear when it goes on the outside than to have to remove the jacket and pants to put on the gear... but what do I know?

Everything I've heard about Wayne's rain/wind liners has been very good.

Maybe I should get outer rain gear that can also be worn underneath?

Any thoughts from those who have both?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use gore tex, it costs extra, but it really works. It's wind proof, water proof, and it breathes. You can't beat that. Plus I don't have to stop and put on rain gear. I had a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and Ht Overpants which worked ok, but now I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit because it seals the wind better and it has superior body protection.

Ron

I have both.

The outer gear is a one piece suit that would fit over my leather jacket so I still was protected. It did an excellent job at keeping me dry.

It takes time to pull it out of the bag, square away the Velcro and zippers and get suited up. It gets hot inside quick.

The Cycleport still takes time but, now that I'm comfortable at donning the gear (it's softer/looser now) I prefer the interior suit. If I know rain is imminent and will last for some time, I pull over and zipper the inner to the outer.

If I'm caught in a position where time is of the essence, I just remove the outer and don the inner without zippering it in. That would be in a case where the rain might be heavy but only last a short period.

Also, the liner works great for weather like we (in North Fla.) are having. 50s during the day, with the liner is great.

All that stated, my trusty outer suit now rests on the shelf.

Edit: I had the back zipper added that ties the jacket to the pants. When attached, it functions like a full suit and is quite easy to get in and out of. Don't do it on short trips but for an "all day" its great.

I've ridden both, and I like the Cycleport's liners. I rode in a torrential down pour thru Wyoming and stayed bone dry. The Cycleport with liners is dryer and more comfortable in the wet than my 'Stitch. The Dry Riders I use to use would hold way to much heat and moisture, and made things uncomfy after awhile.

One thing to remember about the Cycleport liners, there's nothing that says they have to be zipped into the top or the bottom. I stop and put the liners on, then put on the armor. (Learned that from Toecutter :p )

I've used both the rain liners on my Cortech/Tour Master gear, and outer rain gear.

The outer gear is more reliable and easier to don "suddenly," you just unpack it and out it on, no zipping in and attaching. Plus, it's cooler in the summer.

In cooler temps the inner liner may already be in place if it's a tad cool out. With the inner liner only the mesh shell is getting wet, which will be a factor if it stops raining and gets warm; you'll be wearing wet gear if you remove the liners because of the heat.

If you remove and stash an outer rain suit, air it out when you get home, or the next time you put it on you'll wish you had.

I think some responders need to check their reading/comprehension skills.

Er...uhm...from the title:

Need help with Motorport (sic) order.
From the body of his post:

One would assume from this that he is talking about Wayne at Motoport/Cycleport gear and the zip-in liner for that brand. :unsure:

I have the zip-in liner. It works great as a wind blocker on cold days here (It's usually 34-36 degrees when I leave for work.). It also fits well when I'm using my Gerbings heated gear.

I've only used it for rain on a couple of occasions bun not in a torrential downpour. It seems every bit as good as the liners I've had for my various textile jackets (including the Kilamanjaro and Kili mesh), if not better.

I'd give a nod to what Silent posted about his. :clapping:

I too own Motorsport's Kevlar mesh gear with their interior liner. The liner's work good in the winter and for rain protection, however in the summer you DO NOT want to have to go through the PIA process of taking off the mesh gear, just so you can install the liners underneath for rain protection. Believe me!!

All I did was purchase a Tourmaster rain suit to wear over the top of the Kevlar jacket and pants when there's rain. This way it only takes a few minutes to down the rain gear.

I agree with CHRIS D. It is a PIA to stop and try putting the pant liners in on the side of the road. I picked up a goretex rain suit and keep it in the tankbag for the summer. In the winter I ride with the inner liners to fend off the cold.

I have used all three methods. pants/jacket goretex waterproof, inner liners, and outer wear rain gear. The goretex worked the first year in heavy rains, but after that it would leak. I used nikwax cleaner and waterproofer which helped but did not get it back to original. Liners are a pain to put on in a hurry plus the outer gear gets quite heavy once it is soaked even though you stay dry. I have gone back to outer rain wear. Easier to put on quick and is a nice added layer when it gets chilly unexpectedly in the summer. The only thing I do not like about the outer rainwear is that it is bulkier to carry than the liners or the waterproof gortex. I have a light compact rain suit to use for commuting or when it is not suppose to rain at all.

I'm new with wearing CyclePort gear and haven't hit 'hard' rain for 'hours'...

But it seems to me if you don't wear outies, anything in the exoskeleton pockets is going to get very wet.. and then when the sun shines again, you got wet/heavy gear to deal with.

Just seems logical to be an outtie, but once again, no real-world experience since I live in essentially what is a desert.

I have an order in to Motorport of a kevlar jacket and pant. Wayne's rain liners go inside the clothing. I like feedback from those who have had both inner rain liners and outer rain liners. I've never had outer rain gear so I don't know how they perform and reliable they can be. My thinking is it is easier to don rain/wind gear when it goes on the outside than to have to remove the jacket and pants to put on the gear... but what do I know?

Maybe I should get outer rain gear that can also be worn underneath?

Any thoughts from those who have both?

I'll put in my .02 cents here. I have many different brands and styles of riding gear. Some came with zip-in rain liners, some of the gear is waterproof and some came with no rain protection. I also have a few sets of outer, over the gear type rain suits. I very much prefer the over the gear type. I don't have to take off my jacket and pants on the side of the road, zip in a liner then redress my self. I just pull a rain suit out of a bag, throw it over my clothes and go! If it quits raining, I can stop and take it off or open the zipper of the rain suit and not have to sweat in the heat untill I undress again like I would if I had the inner style. If I open the rain suit zipper to vent some air through my gear after the rain stops or between rain showers, I don't lose any protection like I would if I opened the riding jacket zipper. Over the gear rain suits also keep my riding gear cleaner and dryer.

Erik.

The kevlar stuff dries so quickly that wet gear is not really an issue. Just as a few post up, if a rain comes up quickly, take outer off and put in inner w/o zipping it up and snapping the tabs and I usually don't bother with the pants at that point--pretty quick procedure.

The kevlar stuff dries so quickly that wet gear is not really an issue. Just as a few post up, if a rain comes up quickly, take outer off and put in inner w/o zipping it up and snapping the tabs and I usually don't bother with the pants at that point--pretty quick procedure.
That's right, on the Cycleport. I forgot to mention the dry time. It's very quick at speed.

Must be the fiber. The interior lining is tissue thin and also drys quickly. but....

As stated above, if you have something in the pockets, it's going to get soaked.

I too have the Cycle Port mesh gear with a liner for the jacket. The liner is without question, top quality. It breathes well, sheds water like a proverbial duck and does a good job adding warmth when in place. However...the sleeves are too short. In heavy rain for an extended period, the water runs through the mesh (duh), down the outside of the liner and into your gloves. If you have on a long sleeve shirt the water also wicks up the sleeve and you're wet to the elbow.

Doing it over again and considering the price paid for the jacket liner, I would invest in a high quality set of rain gear and forgo the liner(s).

YMMV

--G

Not posting just to :argue: , but I saw it as he's getting the jacket and pants, doesn't know if the rain liners are what he wants, what does everybody think about liners vs outerwear in general. Should he add to his order or go with a regular rain suit?

Even after re-examining it based on MM2's post, I still see the original question as general liner/suit preference, so I hope my information was useful somehow. I'd hate to be rendered forum-ly insignificant. :)

Hey, the advice is great. I'm still new to riding-on-a-daily basis and don't want to spend money on something I would use very little. When I ride I pack as little as I can on me. If there are outies available that will do the job, and not take up much space, then I think I may go that route.

Wfooshee...it is not insignificant. ;) It's all good learning. The best way to learn is from those who've already spent the money!

Does outer wear flap much in the wind while riding?