Ramball mounting question.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10mm threaded ball is nice on the left side clutch perch where you have an empty mirror hole as it is a cleaner looking install. But on the right side you'll want/need the U bolt type (linked to in the previous post) as the mirror hole is not drilled and tapped on the right side brake bracket. I guess you could always drill and tap a 10mm hole on the right and use two of the 10mm stud type balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10mm threaded ball is nice on the left side clutch perch where you have an empty mirror hole as it is a cleaner looking install. But on the right side you'll want/need the U bolt type (linked to in the previous post) as the mirror hole is not drilled and tapped on the right side brake bracket. I guess you could always drill and tap a 10mm hole on the right and use two of the 10mm stud type balls.
I agree with Fred that the threaded ball is the way to go. In fact I did drill and tap the right side brake bracket so I could use one on that side. The U bolt type is not as easy to install as it looks because the FJR bars are not round pipes.

They have the plates that go over the reservoirs, too, RAM-B-345U and RAM-B-346U.
I did *not* have good luck with that particular reservoir cover plate. YMMV. A long way from home, late on a Sunday, my front brake started to squirt brake fluid everywhere because the cover loosened. While I could retighten the screws with tools on hand there was no replacing the brake fluid. I needed a Hazmat team to clean up my bike. I was never able to keep the cover tight. After I ditched the cover I didn't even try to sell it or give it away as an act of kindness ;)

I've seen some complaints that this RAM ball doesn't have any flats so you can use a wrench to tighten. Actually no problem. Just clamp on a RAM arm at right angle and crank away. Great product - that's where I have my GPS mounted.
Lock washer,
Dab of blue loctite

I've got spots for 4 RAM ball mounts now:

1) one into the threaded hole on the left bar - that's where the iPhone goes

2) one over the brake reservoir - the SPOT goes there (no problems with leaks so far - knock on wood)

3) two holes in the Helibars triple - if I'm going to need the GPRS radio then the Sena SR10 goes on one, and the radio goes into the second

Admittedly its a bit of a rats nest when I get to that level but normally just use the iPhone and SPOT on the handlebars since the mounts on the triple restrict gauge visibility and access to the ignition switch.

I agree with Fred that the threaded ball is the way to go. In fact I did drill and tap the right side brake bracket so I could use one on that side. The U bolt type is not as easy to install as it looks because the FJR bars are not round pipes.
Actually, they are round pipes out at the ends where it counts. There is just enough room to mount one between the brake master cylinder and throttle/switches housing (at least on 1st gens). Also you can use the straight screws and mount it to the clamp for the Master cylinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have the plates that go over the reservoirs, too, RAM-B-345U and RAM-B-346U.
I did *not* have good luck with that particular reservoir cover plate. YMMV. A long way from home, late on a Sunday, my front brake started to squirt brake fluid everywhere because the cover loosened. While I could retighten the screws with tools on hand there was no replacing the brake fluid. I needed a Hazmat team to clean up my bike. I was never able to keep the cover tight. After I ditched the cover I didn't even try to sell it or give it away as an act of kindness
wink.png
This is a drawback to the 345U & 346U. The letters cast into the OEM cover are raised & when the 345U/346U base plate is tightened, the plate deflects which prevents tightening the base plate enough. On my '10, I installed hard plastic washers between the OEM cover & base plate to ensure the base plate would not deflect & presto, the screws never loosened. Unhappy w/the glare from my Techmount Stem Mount on my ES, I will be relocating the GPS to a 345U/346U & will use the G10 washers again. Might even put a dab of blue Loctite for good measure. Just my $0.02 incase anyone is considering a 345U/346U.

Cheers,

Ed