Re: camera56 bike and my slider's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your response Ian. Like everyone else, I appreciate your stand-up ways.

To your first point, everything is +1 with me. Protective gear is being replaced with cycleport gear and vanson or some combination thereof. Bike is waiting estimate and disposition with insurance company. Still leaving open all options: ride, weld, replace frame, etc. Keep me posted on what you do with your Delrin sliders.

The only thing i would add to the discussion, and i add this as a non-engineer, is to consider the possibility of making the end of the slider larger in diameter than the recess into which your current design now sits. Provide a separate delrin spacer to fill in the void on the left side. That way in a slide like mine there would be less / little / no force exerted on the collar and hopefully avoding fragging the frame. That may be what you're thinking about and i just misunderstood.

Take care of your family.

I have Skyways "sliders" and have no intention of removing them. They have already saved my bike from damage to the front fairing two times.(in zero mph tip overs)

In this instance I do not believe the fact that the part was made from aluminum instead of plastic played any part in the resulting damage.

The fact that this one instance has brought some folks just short of fulll blown paranoia is amusing. We have ONE CASE of frame damage at what most consider a slow speed, and we begin to speculate with no other data a host of scenerios and causes , placing blame in diffrent directions. Very scientific.

If I read one more time that Derilin absorbs shock better and is "self lubricating" I may scream...lol.

Using this thinking, you would have to agree that a slider made out of wood can absorb more "shock" then plastic, because it is softer and would compress more under impact. So I guess someone who believes this would let me whack them as hard as I can in the head with a wood bat, and then an aluminum one, and be able to tell me which hurt more.

As noted in a few posts in the other thread, the problem is not what material the slider is made from, but the place and make up of the where it is positioned.

And with only one case of this occouring with these sliders, I would not consider it just cause to go ahead and remake the part. The possibility should be noted , and added to the list of all the other times these particular sliders came into play....and examined as a whole.

KM

Hey KM,

When I think of "self lubricating", I think of your avitar :D and "sliders" may take on a whole new meaning.

Hmm. I PM'd Ian last night, before I noticed this thread about getting a set of his sliders. I will be interested to hear back from him, and to find out if he will have both the old design and the newer one he is talking baout available.

Ian, take care of the family first. Everything else is just background noise.

I bought my set this week, arrived super fast, 3 days! Of course they look awesome, I'm keepin' em.

It took me longer to find my tools than to install them. I was also surprised I had a 19mm socket, most of my stuff stopped at 17mm. (Stupid Craftsman) Luckily, Snap-On saved the day!

Thanks Ian !!!

I think I am going to duct tape some pillows on each side of the scoot for my "sliders". Might get farkle of the year for that one. Otherwise, I'll just park next to a tree.

The fact that this one instance has brought some folks just short of fulll blown paranoia is amusing. We have ONE CASE of frame damage at what most consider a slow speed, and we begin to speculate with no other data a host of scenerios and causes , placing blame in diffrent directions. Very scientific.

And with only one case of this occouring with these sliders, I would not consider it just cause to go ahead and remake the part. The possibility should be noted , and added to the list of all the other times these particular sliders came into play....and examined as a whole.

KM
To which i would add that an "n" of one is not an acceptable statistical sample. Totally agree.

The problem here is that unless somone is hiding out on this, the numerator and denominator are the same. So at the moment, there is a 100% incidence of the product damaging the frame which in my mind is an order of magnitude worse than damaging easily replaced non structural plastic.

If others have slid their 06 bikes on the left side on this or another frame puck, speak up. Otherwise, what the collective "we" now know based on the anecdotes and data presented here is that the product protects the plastic in parking lots and garages and frags the frame when the bike goes down at a speed that caused the bike to slide less than the width of a lane. Whether or not another material or or configuration would perform differently at this point has been nicely debated. When nine other guys go down on the left side of their 06s on their skyways, motos, or R&Gs and my bike is the only one with a fragged frame, then we can all nod our heads and say "bad luck old chap, you were the 1 out of ten". As others have pointed out, the mounting point is a crappy place to put a lever.

And if i'm the only guy to ever low side an 06, then the gods will have smiled on all of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'll post my learning curve...went to set the bike outside the garage for a couple of videos of the Scorpio perimeter sensor. Sitting on the bike and backing out, must of kicked the stand back enough to where when I let it down, it just kept going down w/ no way to stop it. Damage report: 1/2" scratch on the bottom of Skyway's sliders and the left exhaust both not even noticable. Right now, I'm pretty happy w/ the sliders and luckily the night before I had removed the bags for a run to Port A.

Hmm, decisions, decisions...guess I'm leaving them on for now. Ian, take care of your serious issues 1st, my sliders can wait.

I suppose those of us with the less technological '03-'05s can be happy our Moko/Moto sliders mount on a separate bracket that might spare the frame.

Ian

Your offer to replace the aluminum sliders is way beyond fair & honest. The fact that you took the time to deal with this while more serious matters require your attention shows the kind of guy you are. :clapping:

Stef

PS: I'm keeping my aluminum sliders, BTW ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian
Your offer to replace the aluminum sliders is way beyond fair & honest. The fact that you took the time to deal with this while more serious matters require your attention shows the kind of guy you are. :clapping:

Stef

PS: I'm keeping my aluminum sliders, BTW ;)
+10 from me, ian.

my sliders look awesome, will no doubt protect in the case of the highly likely but as yet not-experienced driveway dumbshite moment. on the road, whether low or god-forbid highside, any help or hindrance from your part is not likely to be a major factor. looking to avoid THAT one as well, as long as possible...

shu

I'm interested in seeing what the alternative slider looks like. I *love* the way the all-metal ones look on the FJR, but wouldn't mind having the softer material provide a little shock absorbsion in the event of a tip-over (I can't help but think that a 600+ pound bike slamming down on a slider, even in just a tip-over, is probably a nasty bit of g-force and flex on the frame and attached parts). But I'd want to weigh the benefits of that against the new look of an alternative design.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am keeping my SKYWAY sliders just the way they are. They look great and I have no doubt that they will protect my bike in a tip over, which is what they are for. :clapping: Thanks Skyway for a great product and take care of yours. ;)

From the arguments in defending the low side that caused the frame to bend,etc., it sure seems that the deep pocket laws and product liability laws are being enterained as a means to the end.

The buyer should have read the instruction a little closer before he bought and installed the product.

As stated before they should be renamed togs and not sliders. There is no product currently made to do what c-56 visualizes and thinks they should do to meet his expectations.

There is nothing worse than someone who can't accept responsibility for their own actions and have to try and blame it on some one else. Quit your whinning and move on with life. :clapping: :clapping:

weekend rider

From the arguments in defending the low side that caused the frame to bend,etc., it sure seems that the deep pocket laws and product liability laws are being enterained as a means to the end.
The buyer should have read the instruction a little closer before he bought and installed the product.

As stated before they should be renamed togs and not sliders. There is no product currently made to do what c-56 visualizes and thinks they should do to meet his expectations.

There is nothing worse than someone who can't accept responsibility for their own actions and have to try and blame it on some one else. Quit your whinning and move on with life. :clapping: :clapping:

weekend rider
Weekend. Not sure why you're bringing me back into this discussion two weeks after my last post. I am not now nor have I ever blammed anyone for anything relating to what happend to me and my bike. I was simply looking to communicate the FACTS of what happened so that I and others could benefit from whatever discussion ensued about sliders, white lines, bike set-up, the virtues of leather vs. textile, or whatever. For all I care, you can call them pretty little aluminum appendages. Bark at someone else.