Ready for 15th rear tire - Interested in mileage on Pilot Road 2 and Dunlop RoadSmart

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QuikSilver

I know its not the same bike but I got 10K out of my last Metzeler Z6 on the back for my Hayabusa and that was medium hard riding I would say. I was happy to see my new 08 FJR already had Z6s on it. I love them.

How did you get such mileage out of this tire? Mine last a max of 6k.

I put 18,500 miles on that bike in a year Dunlops on the rear to a front and the set of Z6s. Not all that curvy down here I guess would be the biggest reason. But they did have allot of high speed mileage LOL.

Metz Z-6 SUCKS!!!
Really, try another tire and see if you come back saying how great it is.
I'm with ScooterG. I know people who love the Z6 but I tried all sorts of pressures and was thrilled to get them off the bike. The feel was always squirrely but to each their own. Am just about to swap out the current Pilot Roads.

There are actually a number of multi-compound tires out there right now, not just the RoadSmart and the PR2. As for speed of wear on the front tire, I suspect the Dunlop is in the same boat as my Pirelli Corsa lll's. The Corsa lll is also a multi-compound tire, but only on the rear. The tire compound is a mix of a harder, higher mileage compound in the center, and the shoulders of the tire are the same compound as the Super Corsa sport tire. The front, however is not multi-compound, and is the same compound as the Super Corsa.

When you examine the Dunlop website, they claim the rear RoadSmart is a multi-compound tire, but make no reference to the front being the same. I suspect the front is the softer compound only. Not that this is a bad thing, but it explains the expiration of both tires at roughly the same time. (as noted by HaulinAshe in another thread.)

Quote from the Dunlop site:

"MT-Multi-Tread compound rear tire incorporates a long-wearing compound in the center of the tire tread and a lateral-grip compound on each shoulder to maximize cornering performance and provide class-leading grip and feel."

Dunlop clickage

Now, if you look at the Michelin site, both the front and rear are multi-compound. However, the front and rear use a different combination of compounds. They have a nice little visual chart, too.

Also interesting to note is that Michelin claim superiority in wet traction and mileage, but does so based on an independent test done in 2006. The RoadSmart arrived in the first quarter of 2008, thus it does not appear on the comparison.

PR2 clickage

Though probably not the best suited tire for the FJR, Bridgestone has a new BT-016 tire that actually incorporates 3 compounds on the rear tire and 2 on the front. I will probably try these next on my little FZ.

Bridgestone clickage

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just back from a 4,000 mile trip through the New England states, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cabot trail. We were 2-up fully loaded for 10 days on every kind of road including "pavement ends" type roads. I had brisk sections of peg scraping twisty roads, straight roads, terrible roads, and so on. I put new PR2 front and rear just a day before leaving. I took off the new Roadsmarts with 2,000 miles on them because they would not make another 4,000 miles. There was a noticable flat spot starting on the Roadsmart already.

Here are the Pilot Road II after 4,100 miles in 10 days:

PR2Rear4100miles.jpg

PR2front4100miles.jpg

I have no way to measure the depth remaining but I am guessing 3,000 miles left. I have had Z-6, Bridgestones, Conti Road Attacks, and none have survived more than 4,500 on the rear. I get roughly two rears to one front, give or take a few miles. I once wore out a Conti Sport Attack rear in 765 miles. I am not gentle on tires, and I now have a favorite tire. It looks like I might get close to twice the tire life with the Road II's, and only a few bucks more. This is my first set so I will report some day after the second set, already on the front porch waiting...

The used Roadsmarts are going on my FZ-1.

Gee H looking at your tires makes me think i still can add maybe another 2k to my Pilot Roads with right at 11000 on them now!They are getting a little funky in the handling dept now though.They look like the roads around here..wide and flat with sloping shoulders.