Really bad day today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure wasn't any easier getting up today, waking up his bed empty.

Charlie is really confused. Last night at bedtime he waited at the top of the stairs for Petey. I had to go and bring him in to the bedroom. He's staying very close to us, and laying on my office couch as I type.

We've been through this several times before. Sampson was our first furry child (before we had any human kids). He was a mixed breed that was with us for over a dozen years. Then the two greyhounds who only lived to be 10 and 11 years old after we adopted them at 2 and 3. I know this pain is all part of the grieving process, but I sure don't remember it hurting this much before.

As my sister said when I gave her the news yesterday, "Petey was really one of the special, lifetime dogs..." My sister is a dog person too, she gets it. Freddie and his girlfriend had taken to calling Petey "The most interesting dog in the world." Partly because with his grizzled muzzle and droopy eyes he sort of looked like that guy in the Dos Equis ads. But also because it was true.

There will be other dogs in our future, there is no doubt. But none will ever compare to Petey.

100_2964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just so hard Fred. I still have tears in my eyes today. I keep flashing back to the time that my dad lost Rover in 2007. He was one of the coolest little guys ever. At 35 lbs of pure energy there was no way one could contain him in a fence, he just loved to roam around and check on everyone in the neighborhood. The next door neighbors even adopted him as their part time dog and would take him to McDonald's with them to get a hamburger. Well, one day, at only 4 years old, he found his way under a UPS truck. I still see images of my 71 y.o. father laying in the gutter, on that 95 degree Alabama August day, sweat pouring out of every pore of his body, and tears streaming down his face, stroking that little dog trying his best to comfort him, knowing that the outcome was grim. This went on for at least an hour because Rover was hurting so bad he would bite him if he tried to move him. My dad finally took the pain of the bites and got him loaded into the car, bloody arms and all from the bites. We got Rover to the vet and we both laid in the floor of the trauma room stroking Rover trying to soothe him as the vet explained that both rear legs were broken and he likely had a broken spine. We then took him to the emergency surgeon a few miles away and were told that they could probably save him, but he would be in one of those doggie wheel chairs the rest of his life, paralyzed and would have no bladder or bowel control. We all knew that Rover wouldn't want that so we collectively, with my mother too, made the difficult decision that had to be made. As I looked into Rover's eyes, deep into his soul, I swear that little guy was saying good bye to us too, as he knew the score. He was also saying thank you for saving me from the woods when I was only 6 weeks old and giving me this great life, even if for only four years. I grieved like I have never grieved before and I'm still grieving. Tears are rolling down my face as I type this. You just never get over the loss of someone or some thing you truly love. You just have to let time heal the wounds as best it can and remember the great times that you had together. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but just know that we dog lovers of the world feel for you brother.

Fred, There is nothing one can say to ease the loss of an old friend.

Puppy breath, with all the ensuing problems, provides relief but not a replacement.

My first Lab, Sable, lived to be 15. I have a Pete of my own, now 12, that can see the far horizon.

Flynt, my young Lab, has assumed the mantle in the field, at nearly 2 he is likely to be my last dog, or at least my last working dog.

My thoughts are with you sir. They do not live long enough!

John

Dang Fred, I'm sorry. I HATE losing pets. I like my animals more than I like most people. I've only had to make that decision once, and it just wrecked me. Sitting here trying not to tear up, just thinking of how much it hurts to lose a good pal.

Sorry man!!

Just catching up here and didn't like seeing that title. Very sorry you have to go through this. I remember meeting your guys but especially the interactions between the two and can clearly imagine Charlie feeling it. Sorry again.

Sorry for your loss Fred.

My furry 4 legged son just turn 13 this month. I'm beginning to worry a little as I can see he's starting to slow down some.

This is normally the first thing I see in the morning.

IMG_20160621_201030065%202_zpsdvovnnfe.jpg

Hope I can keep on seeing it for a long time.

Thanks to all for the condolences.
I know, we have all been through it, the hurt of losing our best friends, some of us many times before. But Joann and I will always be the first to line up for the pain again. There is just nothing like the unconditional love and affection that you get from your pet(s). It outweighs the hurt of having to see them pass on before you greatly.

It's going to be quiet without Captain Chaos to keep things stirred up.
Actually, Petey was the older, more quiet one. Charlie is the yellow (white) lab with ADD.

We do still have Charlie here to keep us company. He's trying to figure out what's going on, and where his best buddy Petey went.
Fred, I want to commend you and Joann for having the courage regardless of the pain you both feel to end his suffering and let Petey be in a place where he is at peace.

Sorry, Fred. They are our babies. I went to pieces when we had to put down our 2yr-old Mastiff (don't ask, neurological issue). I got a Boxer the next day, or I don't know how I would have made it. After a few years, I got another, because I don't ever want to have no dog again...

I still tear up thinking about it.

I'm sorry, Fred :(

I'm sitting here with my girl, Lucy, at my feet right now. She's a 10 year old Cocker Spaniel with the best temperament and personality of pup I've ever seen...and she's slowly being eaten up by some nasty ass infection that the vets can't seem to cure. Several thousands of dollars of surgery and medicine in to it, and it just keep coming back.

We choose to have these animals in our lives, and they repay that choice with undivided love.

...and we love them in return...

Lucy came into my life right about the same time that I started riding. She knows that when Dad grabs his helmet, he'll be back in a while (sometimes longer than usual). A quick scrub on the noggin, and "I'll see you in a bit -- be a good girl while I'm gone" every time I hop on one of the bikes. She just lays there waggling her nub, and looks at me as if to say, "OK, Dad -- I'll see you when you get back." -- and she's always there waiting for me when I get home. Coming home from a ride without her here just won't be the same...and I know it's coming. There's no two ways around it -- some day I'll come home, and she won't be here.

I'm giving Lou extra lovin' tonight in honor of Pete.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have had to make the dreaded choice to send my best friend over the Rainbow bridge. As I'm typing this my 9 year old black lab German shepherd mix is laying under the ceiling fan relaxing. I'm dreading the day I need to make that call again, until then she'll always be as happy as I can make her.

Just remember Peter is gone but never forgotten.

Sending you a big hug, Fred... I have been there and done that and my eyes get leaky just thinking about it and what you have gone through too... I wish our 4-legged family members would stick around longer because they just bring so much love and joy to our lives... I'm glad you'll be sharing the love you had for him with Charlie and another critter soon... that is the best legacy to Petey. :wub: