Rear fender extender

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff

Reaction score
I just picked up my 03 FJR (new to me) yesterday and rode it through 70 miles of rain in Chicago home. I noticed a lot of crap got thrown up on the bottom side of the Givi Top Box. My Triumph Trophy has a rear fender extender that does a pretty good job of keeping the sludge down and I wondered if there was anything available for the FJRs that looks decent. My research has not come up with anything, so I am thinking there must be some down side in installing a rear fender extender. Thanks for the input.

My Triumph Trophy has a rear fender extender that does a pretty good job of keeping the sludge down and I wondered if there was anything available for the FJRs that looks decent. My research has not come up with anything, so I am thinking there must be some down side in installing a rear fender extender.
There is no downside to them. To my knowledge, however, there is no commercially available rear fender extender for the FJR.

If you want one, you have to fabricate it yourself. I used the fender off a old ST100 to make mine:

mf1.jpg
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reducing splooge tossed by the rear wheel onto Topboxes, fuel cells, etc.

griff,

I just made one from a black plastic waste basket. The cheaper flat black type looks like the plastic on the FJR.

A hack saw will provide a fast rough outline. Use heavy scissors or sheet metal snips for the final shape.

dobias

I just made one from a black plastic waste basket. The cheaper flat black type looks like the plastic on the FJR.
Warchild used an old fender and Dobias used a wastebasket - I guess I'll just have to get creative and scrounge around until I find something that works and looks decent. Thanks for the replies.

Catch bucket from a broken down de-humidifier.

Mark, cut, sand, drill, bolt on.

One person's garbage........

Shane

griff,

Maybe this is more your style! :yahoo:

dobias :glare:

Oops! I forgot the URL...https://www.chilhowee.net/mud_flaps.html

Dobias - I had one like that on my Road King I just sold. Guess I shoulda kept it!!

This just about sums it all up for me (from Dobias link), and don't get me started on the various concho styles...

·Hand-Laced Edges - If you want a design that makes your Mud Flaps look very expensive and customized, hand-lacing is the way to go.

:blink: :huh: :blink:

This just about sums it all up for me (from Dobias link), and don't get me started on the various concho styles...
·Hand-Laced Edges - If you want a design that makes your Mud Flaps look very expensive and customized, hand-lacing is the way to go.

Groo....what the HE double toothpicks does that mean :blink:

Groo....what the HE double toothpicks does that mean :blink:
It means there must be a lot of poser bikes sitting in garages with hand laced MUD FLAPS...

Look at the computer (or microfiche) at you local BMW dealer. They do one (wider than warchild's) for their police bikes.

Wouldn't you just be better off putting on a rear hugger? Check for the parts section of the forum.
While the hugger has a nice look to it, I doubt it will heep the road slooge from being slung onto the topcase by the rear wheel, since it is already taking place beyond the stock fender. All of this activity occurs well behind the end of the "hugger" as the tire throws the excess almost straight up from it's outer diameter, directly perpendicular to the road surface at the rearmost tangent of the tire. To prevent hits mess, an extender of some type is necessary.

Hopefully, the hugger might stop some of the sideways splashing onto the inside of the sidecases. If not, it'll look great with the sidecases off!