Rear shock linkage maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looked like my dirtbike the first time I did it. Amazing how a little moisture can get in there and really muck things up if not caught. You'll be glad you used the marine grease the next time you service it, everything will look brand new and the space will slide in and out like butter.

Sheesh Matt..."Periodic Maintenance." Your periodics need to be closer together.
fool.gif

And some guys take their brand new bike apart to smear grease on driveshafts....

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, I would have obliged and mocked you
rolleyes.gif
, but I too left the first relay arm service a little too long
fool.gif
. This is what mine looked like at around 100k miles, I noticed strange wear in the rear tire and since the Penske was still within the service interval I figured this was likely the place to check. Everything still moved but obviously not as smoothly as it was designed to do. The chewed up bearing is from the center section, the one that has the most exposure to the elements, the two on either end were worn but not destroyed like this one.

I took the relay arm to the shop to have them press in new bearings and seals and am now a lot more diligent about this maintenance task...

I remember posting this up in some thread talking about the relay arm service, warning folks to not put this job off too long as I had done, alas I can't seem to find that post...

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Since I started this thread back in 2013, I am reviving it to document the condition of the shock relay, bearings and shock.

I last did this maintenance 3 years ago and 11,000+ miles ago. Since then,I finished my degree and did not ride for about 2 years. But winter is coming and I plan to do a lot of riding next year so I want to get this maintenance done and compare the results of using the marine grade moly grease to lube everything. Over the next couple of weeks to do the work, have the rear shock rebuilt. I'll see if KFG (GP Suspension) will take pictures for me again when they disassemble the shock too.

During the 11,000+ miles I had about a 1,000 of those riding in heavy down pours and about 50 miles of gravel roads (some in the rain).

reviving this thread again to update on the relay arm / swing arm.

Just finished doing a deep dive into maintenance. Valve check/adjust shims, check the swing arm, and relay arm.

No pictures this time.

I pulled all the bolts and bushings on the relay arm, and everyone of the bearings, bushings, and bolts looked like I just greased it as I expected. I didn't bother going any further in to check the swing arm, since it is subjected to a lot less water and grim being flung at it. Buttoned her back up until the next check in about 50K miles.

Thanks a lot...you have now reminded me I have not done the relay maintenance since 2013. I'll just assume I should put the bike out of its misery. I didn't like doing this 6 years ago...think I'm overdue?

Thanks a lot...you have now reminded me I have not done the relay maintenance since 2013. I'll just assume I should put the bike out of its misery. I didn't like doing this 6 years ago...think I'm overdue?
I would just support the bike under neath and pull the easy to get to bolts and check them. That will give you an indication if you need to go further or not. May not be as bad as you think if you used quality grease.

I also wanted to revive this thread just a bit. I had posted here way back on one of the early pages clarifying some of the steps needed to get it done. Last night I dived in. I ended up cutting two bolts - the center stand bolt on the right side, and one of the smaller mount bolts on the right side bracket that the center stand and exhaust hook up to. I had a spare centerstand bolt, but didn't expect the smaller one. I found some suitable replacements at the hardware store, but need to order the correct items from Yamaha.

115K miles on my '09A and surprisingly my relay arm bearings weren't in all that bad of shape, but I had another arm all greased up and ready to go, so just pluged that in. My bike was a learning curve, but should be much easier the next time.

Today, Tony aka 101stpathfinder came over and we did same on his 180K '08A. His went much faster. I used an engine hoist "cherry picker" with a strap and supported the back.

One thing I want to note; the brackets that support exhaust and center stand is designed to only put the big swingarm bolts one direction. On the right side, that bolt needs to be reversed, which means you have to drill out the smaller hole on the inside to get it to fit from the other direction. I also have a new '18A and looked at it and found the factory did both bolts from the inside, so that will make it much easier. It also means you could order that bracket from Yamaha for a later bike and it will work as designed. Someone at the factory must have been listening to their techs on this issue.

I am going to rebuild the old relay arm from my '09 and will start a regular program of swapping them out on the '18; should be a much easier job from the looks of it.

It also means you could order that bracket from Yamaha for a later bike and it will work as designed. Someone at the factory must have been listening to their techs on this issue.
fljab, that find of the updated bracket on the later model bikes sounds like a great find, could pls post the link/part # of the exact bracket you're referring to?

It also means you could order that bracket from Yamaha for a later bike and it will work as designed. Someone at the factory must have been listening to their techs on this issue.
fljab, that find of the updated bracket on the later model bikes sounds like a great find, could pls post the link/part # of the exact bracket you're referring to?
Yes. I usually order from RonAyres.com, so links will be to their parts.

'18A bracket, right side, part #53: Bracket, Main Stand 2 1MC-27152-00-00

Ref page: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5b5f51d887a86610e8d2bacd/stand-footrest

For my '09A, this is part #85: Bracket, Main Stand 2 5P5-27152-00-00

Ref page: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046b2bf8700209bc796975/stand-footrest

I am going to sell my '09A after this upcoming trip and will put the updated parts, plus the right bolts in it before I do. On my '18, plan to use one of my spare relay arms, rebuild, and have a regular program of replacing/servicing that area.

I don't know what yr they changed that bracket (could go back and look at every yr on the parts page), but those with earlier models, this is money well spent IMO to go ahead and update the bracket, get a couple of spare bolts that will be sacrificial the first time you do it. The worst part for my old butt is laying on the garage floor for extended periods, and of course whatever tool you need is "just" out of your reach.

i haven't done the research yet, but was just wondering if there is much difference, or any, in the bushings or bearings on the rear suspension between the Gen III As and ESs.

Thanks for the update Fljab, according to my search, the Main Stand 2 brackets were updated starting with the 2013 models and are same through to 2019 models.Also the Center Stand was revised in 2013.

https://yamahaoemparts.com.au/part/yamaha-parts/1MC2715200#top
I wonder what the change was to the center stand? My '18 does seem to go up easier than the '09, but maybe I'm imagining that.

EDIT: I just noticed that the center stand bolt is a different part number too. Hmmm, I need to pull that out of the '18 and see what the difference is. I have an old one on my workbench as I replaced both on the '09, but only had to cut the one.

Main difference seems to be the dimensions and angle of the arm that you step on.

As for the center stand bracket being different on 3rd Gens, that does seem to be true. But, if you do the maintenance the way I have been doing it, the fact that the right side center stand pivot bolt goes in from the outside doesnt matter, since I dont take that one out while its still mounted on the bike.

On the right side, I remove the two smaller bolts that secure the bracket (one of which needs to be cut off the first time and reversed on reassembly), and on the left side I leave the bracket on and remove the pivot bolt, which goes in from the inboard side. After the centerstand is on the bench you can easily remove the pivot bolt for cleaning and greasing.

Main difference seems to be the dimensions and angle of the arm that you step on.
As for the center stand bracket being different on 3rd Gens, that does seem to be true. But, if you do the maintenance the way I have been doing it, the fact that the right side center stand pivot bolt goes in from the outside doesnt matter, since I dont take that one out while its still mounted on the bike.

On the right side, I remove the two smaller bolts that secure the bracket (one of which needs to be cut off the first time and reversed on reassembly), and on the left side I leave the bracket on and remove the pivot bolt, which goes in from the inboard side. After the centerstand is on the bench you can easily remove the pivot bolt for cleaning and greasing.
Ah, that makes sense about leaving the right center stand bolt in the bracket. In that case, the center stand bolt doesn't matter. I cut my right side out to drop the CS, then took the bracket and modified to take the bolt the other direction. Thanks Fred for that tip!

I swear I read this thread several times, but didn't catch that or remember reading it. Hours of laying on the garage floor looking at it and cutting things out didn't enlighten me either lol...

This post began a number of years ago but I'm glad it is still here for a guy who is just digging into it on a 2006 Gen 11. Reading it once over may not be enough but I know tearing into it will teach me some more. Thanks for the information. 

Mario with first FJR gen 2.