rearend gear lube questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalan

Reaction score
Does anyone know the actual viscosity of the yamaha FJR specific rear gear oil?

And I am asking because of the many synthetic gear oils some are 70-90 some are 75-140 etc. why did those of us who use mobile 1 synthetic , not pick a 140 version ? Just curious

Tim

Does anyone know the actual viscosity of the yamaha FJR specific rear gear oil?And I am asking because of the many synthetic gear oils some are 70-90 some are 75-140 etc. why did those of us who use mobile 1 synthetic , not pick a 140 version ? Just curious

Tim
I just bought some, but there's no viscosity listing on the container...sorry.

Timalan,

According to the Bin O'Facts:

Questions regarding Final Drive Oil or Shaft Gear Oil: Yamaha specifies 9079E-SH001-00 ($19.95 / pint at FJRGoodies.com), and the specifications and grade are not listed on the Yamaha shaft gear oil.

Others have used Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140 API GL-5, or the Penzoil from Walmart (marine synthetic gear drive oil 75/90W from Penzoil for $6.95 a quart)

Timalan,
According to the Bin O'Facts:

Questions regarding Final Drive Oil or Shaft Gear Oil: Yamaha specifies 9079E-SH001-00 ($19.95 / pint at FJRGoodies.com), and the specifications and grade are not listed on the Yamaha shaft gear oil.

Others have used Mobil 1® Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140 API GL-5, or the Penzoil from Walmart (marine synthetic gear drive oil 75/90W from Penzoil for $6.95 a quart)
I had already done a search and looked at the bin o'facts.

I purchased Mobil 1 synthetic gear but the weight was 75w-90 API GL-5 I believe.

I guess I was just more curious about the 140 upper number which I saw on most synthetics.

I didn't really expect to get a definite answer. I was curious Why you pick what you pick. If nobody actually knows the Weight of the special FJR gear oil p/n above.

And on that note... No matter what you have used... I doubt any gear oil related rear gear failures have ever occured. unless there just wasn't any.???? I don't know?

Thanks for the input.

Tim

I have got to say that the rear axle is one tough component because a while back I lost my drain plug on the road :dribble:

Spread the oil out every where . I guess it was running on mist lubrication for at least 35 miles . Got a plug from a junked Honda trany and filled it with oil and was on my way. Seems ok after many more miles a little more metal parts on the magnet for a while but ok :yahoo:

Does anyone know the actual viscosity of the yamaha FJR specific rear gear oil?And I am asking because of the many synthetic gear oils some are 70-90 some are 75-140 etc. why did those of us who use mobile 1 synthetic , not pick a 140 version ? Just curious

Tim
I've used the Amsoil Severe Gear Lube 75w-140 for almost 10 years now, well over 350K in a different combo of machines in the rear ends, gear boxes, and in cars/trucks w/o a failure. Amsoil's additive package is literally good enough to paper filter the drain, capture the fluid, clean the magnet, and use it again. Does Mobil make a 140 version?

Does Mobil make a 140 version?
Yes they do. I bought a bottle from Pep Boys after reading the Bin O' Facts.

However, after searching the forum and checking a few other sources, I found that the 75W-90 was more popular. I bought and used Mobile 1 Synthetic 75W-90 instead (still GL-5).

OK oil experts.... what would warrant the higher 140 versys ( I know dumb bike in my brain) the lower 90?

I guess that is my real question.

Generally, higher temperatures (either ambient or due to severe loading), or greater clearances require higher (heavier/thicker) viscosities. The manufacturer of the equipment usually specifies the lubricant viscosity. If a heavier lube is used than specified, often, the greater drag will cause more heat until the heavier lube becomes nearly as fluid as the lighter -- but, at a higher temperature. All things considered, it's been my experience to use lubes on the low viscosity (lighter/thinner) end of those recommended. Especially with the high quality lubes readily available.

The Amsoil Severe looks great. the only thing I watch for is it needs to be GL-4, or at least GL-4 compliant. From what I've learned, There's a cushioning package in GL-5 that's twice as strong as GL-4's pack. That's very corrosive to some of the materials in FJR's diff. I don't know, though. Guy's have been using anything from motor oil to Mobil 1 Synth forever and haven't had any problems. Valvoline makes a semi-synthetic blend GL-4 called DuraGear. I think it's 80/90W which makes it an identical match to Yamaha Gold ($). I can only find it in Australia and New Zealand.

According to the service specifications at www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/myyamaha/home.aspx the final drive gear oil is SAE80API GL4 hypoid.

The Amsoil Severe looks great. the only thing I watch for is it needs to be GL-4, or at least GL-4 compliant. From what I've learned, There's a cushioning package in GL-5 that's twice as strong as GL-4's pack. That's very corrosive to some of the materials in FJR's diff. I don't know, though. Guy's have been using anything from motor oil to Mobil 1 Synth forever and haven't had any problems. Valvoline makes a semi-synthetic blend GL-4 called DuraGear. I think it's 80/90W which makes it an identical match to Yamaha Gold ($). I can only find it in Australia and New Zealand.

No offense but where did you fine the actual specs. on that site?????