Recommendations for FJR Alternative?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson

Reaction score
I have a lady friend who has a Triumph Trophy 900. She likes the concept of a sport tourer bike, but she needs a bike that is lighter and has a shorter seat height than her Trophy and an FJR. She has trouble manuvering her Trophy at low speeds or when stopped, parking, backing, etc. For her, an FJR is too tall and heavy.

She wants a bike that has, or can have, a windshied tall enough to block most of the wind, luggage, low seat height, and light enough for her to feel comfortable at low speed. Basically, she wants an FJR that is smaller.

Any suggestions?

I have a lady friend who has a Triumph Trophy 900. She likes the concept of a sport tourer bike, but she needs a bike that is lighter and has a shorter seat height than her Trophy and an FJR. She has trouble manuvering her Trophy at low speeds or when stopped, parking, backing, etc. For her, an FJR is too tall and heavy.
She wants a bike that has, or can have, a windshied tall enough to block most of the wind, luggage, low seat height, and light enough for her to feel comfortable at low speed. Basically, she wants an FJR that is smaller.

Any suggestions?
Yamaha FZ -6

FZ-6 is sweeeeeet looking. And there's some cool soft luggage out there from Nelson-Rigg. If I wasn't the poverty-stricken bastard that I am, (at least I look good) that's what the wife would have.

Don't forget the YZF600R. Yamaha still makes it. I put 20K miles on one, and it was a very capable sport tourer. Add some soft luggage, maybe some risers, and you're set.

FZ-6 is another good choice. Sit on both, pick the one that fits best.

God, I love motorcycle shopping. What fun!

The FZ6 is a cool bike and suits a smaller rider well, but it's not really a sport-tourer - it has zip weather protection, no factory hard bags, etc. It's also a bit "frantic" at speed and not a very relaxing ride.

Assuming she's got the pocketbook, the new BMW F800ST is probably the class act in the small sport-touring segment right now and has all the desirable sport-touring options - ABS, heated grips, hard bags, etc. Might even have a adjustable seat height or a factory lowering kit.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great ideas. Her main criteria is:

--enough power to maintain, ahem, touring speed, in a head wind; :clapping:

--high windshield

--touring bags

--light weight

--low seat height

--comfortable on a long trip

and I'm going to strongly encourage her to get ABS.

Markjenn's idea about the new (still not released?) BMW F 600 ST seems interesting. It has a "high windshield" (according to the BMW site ), and

engine: 798 cc

weight, dry: 412

weight, wet: 481

fuel tank: 4.1 (pretty small, but maybe it gets good fuel mileage?)

seat height: 32.3" (they have a 1.1" lower seat as an accessory)

MSRP: $10,475

It has options including touring cases, heated grips, and ABS. Did I mention that I strongly recommend ABS?

ABS really is a great option and will likely affect your options if that becomes a must have. As far as the height of the windscreen, be sure you look at the aftermarket options out there for the various bikes. I've seen a few really good ST transformations of bikes like FZ6's and YZF600R's.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Her main criteria is:
--enough power to maintain, ahem, touring speed, in a head wind; :clapping:

--high windshield

--touring bags

--light weight

--low seat height

--comfortable on a long trip

and I'm going to strongly encourage her to get ABS.

Markjenn's idea about the new (still not released?) BMW F 600 ST seems interesting. It has a "high windshield" (according to the BMW site ), and

engine: 798 cc

weight, dry: 412

weight, wet: 481

fuel tank: 4.1 (pretty small, but maybe it gets good fuel mileage?)

seat height: 32.3" (they have a 1.1" lower seat as an accessory)

MSRP: $10,475

It has options including touring cases, heated grips, and ABS. Did I mention that I strongly recommend ABS?
DL650A! OTD for $7,300 and meets all of her requirements. Seat is lower than the Beemer, too. Add side cases and top box for under $800. Gobs of aftermarket parts/accessories and a much bigger dealer network to call on when traveling.

Any suggestions?
Yamaha FZ -6
+1

The VFR also has ABS available.
gypsy
My VFR was a longer reach to the groud than my FJR is

I have a DL650 and you can't beat the bike for value. ABS is very reasonably priced. But it's a physically large bike, basically the 1000cc chassis with the smaller SV650 engine. The seat height isn't too bad and could be lowered further, but the bike just feels BIG for a 650. And it's weather protection isn't very good - when you get a big enough screen to start offering good protection, you get a lot of buffeting.

The ABS requirement really narrows the field in a middle-weight, touring-capable bike. Buying new, you are basically looking at the 650 Suzukis (in either SV or DL trim), the 650 BMW single (just heavily revised), the new F800 twin, and the VFR. A lot of woman ride the older F650 singles and like them a great deal, but they're power challenged on the wide open highway.

You're in a tough spot looking for both a small bike and a bike with good touring amenties such as power, good screen, bags, ABS, etc. The Honda Deauville 700 is really the perfect small tourer that would exactly meet your requirements, but unfortunately, it's not available in the states. Honda did import the Pacific Coast 800 for a few years and it might be something to consider if you want to look at used, but ABS was never available. Another used option would be a small BMW R-twin like the 850 or old 800 airhead, but you're getting pretty far out of the mainstream.

The F800ST has shipped AFAIK. I would think you could arrange a test ride at most BMW dealers. I test rode an F800S sport model and absolutely loved it - it has a very light nimble feel and a nice spread of power. BMW dealers are great about test rides. Again, if you can stand the price, this sounds like it is the closest to meeting your requirements.

- Mark

Latest posts