Repainting an FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you....

• Buy factory replacement parts?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have the individual pieces repainted to look like the rest

• Leave it alone... scratches add character...and show that it's more than a trailer queen.

• You'll never see them once the bugs/dirt get thick enough...

• Get a custom paint job (single color)

• Get a cusom paint job (artwork, etc.)

• Total voters
Geez. Now you got me all wistful for a different color again. Always been partial to red. "Hurt-your-eyes" red. And if I did, I'd just do it myself. One of my many talents. I would go for a single color. Customize with the addition of things that aren't normally color-matched.

I don't usually like black (BTDT, "can't keep clean black" is what I call it) but I really likes Alex's at WFO. I think that black and have Alex make all the stock logos in the reflective black tape so they are allmost invisible untill the light shines on it then they are silver would look really cool.

Or you could make it faster but painting it 04' Silver!

Load it down with as many logo stickers as I could find appropriate for a bike. As me how I know this- from my 05 sidecases!!

I got my first estimate back from a custom paint shop on a "themed" paint job... how's half the original price of the bike grab you? :blink: :huh: :blink: :huh:

It's times like this I'm glad there's a spraybooth at work, and I'm friends with our finisher...

That yellow roberts job caught my eye...

I got a quote from a highly regarded custom painter to give me a paint scheme very similar to the black, yellow, and white one on this thread. Because of a mutual friend, I was getting a " special " price. When the quote came back in excess of $3,500, I quickly lost interest in the deal....not that I thought that his work was not worth the money, but it was just way more than I wanted to spend on the project. Real first-class custom work is EXPENSIVE.

I got a quote from a highly regarded custom painter to give me a paint scheme very similar to the black, yellow, and white one on this thread. Because of a mutual friend, I was getting a " special " price. When the quote came back in excess of $3,500, I quickly lost interest in the deal....not that I thought that his work was not worth the money, but it was just way more than I wanted to spend on the project. Real first-class custom work is EXPENSIVE.
Word.

I love the look of the example stuff from the shop that gave me the quote, but jeebums that's a lot of jack to throw at cosmetics. I still love the idea that's running around in my head, but unless I can do it for a LOT less than that, or I win the lottery, I doubt it's gonna happen.

Groo, (since I haven't read every post of this thread) have you called Gary McCoy to see what the new pre-painted plastic pieces would cost?

After my warranty is gone,

I'd love a "shift red" FZ1 color gas tank and headlight shroad.

And bright red for all the other panels.

And shift red wheels.

Anyone want to photoshop that for me?

Groo, (since I haven't read every post of this thread) have you called Gary McCoy to see what the new pre-painted plastic pieces would cost?
No Mike, not yet. I know his would be the cheapest way for getting the parts replaced... just was exploring other options before I went that route.

After my warranty is gone,I'd love a "shift red" FZ1 color gas tank and headlight shroad.

And bright red for all the other panels.

And shift red wheels.

Anyone want to photoshop that for me?

mmmmmm Shift Red..... That would be my choice too. Don't know about the bright blue though.

If I have time this week with PS I may give that a whirl.

Groo, just how extensive of a custom job? Other alternatives would be the "normal" body shops. The price difference could be astounding. Even if the shop is not a "custom" shop, it doesn't mean the painter is not perfectly capable and willing. Some of these guys just love to get the chance to do this kind of thing. With all the parts removed, it would really be an easy job for most any shop to repaint. And just remember, the look of the shop doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of their work. Some of the best work I have seen came out of what appeared to be "rat-holes." Another thing to look for is "Direct Repair" approved or some other similar terminology referencing their relationship with various insurance companies designating them as authorized repair facilities. Typically, for a shop to earn this status it means specific certifications of technicians and warranties of as much as "lifetime."

Groo, just how extensive of a custom job?
Very... :)

I know a good local painter for my sidecases if that's the option I wind up with... he's already done them once... :rolleyes: This was more of an exploration of a painting theme/mural, which granted, would involve quite a bit of painting, so I'm not all that surprised by the cost... guess I never really thought how much all that custom artwork costs on those expensive cruisers, and the FJR has a lot of surface area to be painted if you go that way, not just a gas tank, oil tank, and a rear fender.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear about your get-offs...

How about Honda asphalt black like on the 919. I think it can be accomplished with Rustoleum in a can.

My 05 Blu-Jay fell on the driveway yesterday:(

The right side is all scratched up - I had the saddlebags on (as usual) so it saved some of the fairing, but the bag got jacked up.

Any suggestions on how to repair this?

Thanks.

Well, the local custom painter who I went and saw a week or so ago sent me his first cut at the concept I had for a custom paint job. Still don't know what it would cost, so it may never come into being... and this is obviously a photoshop of the concept that we're still working on... but it captures alot of what I had in mind... He also hasn't shown me a plan for the saddlebags (the most damaged thing...), and/or the silver section running under the drivers seat...

If I did it, I think my bike would finally find it's name... "Stormchaser". The concept came to me as a result of all the thunderstorms I saw/chased on my way to/from Reno, and the one hella-storm Odot and I drove through near Laramie...

Ready?

Concept01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Groo,

You will be the world's biggest puss if you don't have your bike painted up like that.

It looks awesome.

Thumbs+++

If I did it, I think my bike would finally find it's name... "Stormchaser". The concept came to me as a result of all the thunderstorms I saw/chased on my way to/from Reno, and the one hella-storm Odot and I drove through near Laramie...

Love the lightening bolts.......close to something I was thinking about

Groo,
You will be the world's biggest puss if you don't have your bike painted up like that.

It looks awesome.

Thumbs+++
:lol: Thanks for putting it in perspective for me Howie! :lol:

I really like it too... just waiting for him to quote the price so I can figure out how many limbs I'll need to cut off.... ;) And I haven't seen what he wants to do with the sidecases... and I may want him to tweak the road into the mountains on the bottom front of the fairing...

Still and all, it's only money, right?