Repainting an FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you....

• Buy factory replacement parts?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have the individual pieces repainted to look like the rest

• Leave it alone... scratches add character...and show that it's more than a trailer queen.

• You'll never see them once the bugs/dirt get thick enough...

• Get a custom paint job (single color)

• Get a cusom paint job (artwork, etc.)

• Total voters
Nice! But IMO too nice for a LD bike.
Dunno, as long as I can keep the rubber on the pavement, I should be able to clean the bugs off after the 2 or 3 LD trips each year.

Looks good, Groo, but I'm with Rogue... lottsa coin to be layin' in the mud a la Iggy-san. By the way, just for shits and giggles, have him chop in some chrome rims... now, dat would be pimpin'! ;)

Nice! But IMO too nice for a LD bike.
Dunno, as long as I can keep the rubber on the pavement, I should be able to clean the bugs off after the 2 or 3 LD trips each year.

Looks good, Groo, but I'm with Rogue... lottsa coin to be layin' in the mud a la Iggy-san. By the way, just for shits and giggles, have him chop in some chrome rims... now, dat would be pimpin'! ;)
Heh... I think I've had my fill of dirt roads for the forseeable future.... ;)

Yep, looks good as long as the rubber stays on the road, anything else and I wonder if your insurance would cover to do it again! :eek:

That said if money is no object, than I think you should go for it, we all look alike!

Grooo, that is sweeet, LD bike or not...

Concept01.jpg

You just need a decent upcoming, aspiring artist to do that for ya, and It's not tooo blingy IMHO, just friggin sweet.

That is nice....if I were bill gates....I'd have five different versions in different colors like that.....sweet....Of course, I would go with hot pink myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the local custom painter who I went and saw a week or so ago sent me his first cut at the concept I had for a custom paint job. Still don't know what it would cost, so it may never come into being... and this is obviously a photoshop of the concept that we're still working on... but it captures alot of what I had in mind... He also hasn't shown me a plan for the saddlebags (the most damaged thing...), and/or the silver section running under the drivers seat...
If I did it, I think my bike would finally find it's name... "Stormchaser". The concept came to me as a result of all the thunderstorms I saw/chased on my way to/from Reno, and the one hella-storm Odot and I drove through near Laramie...
Nice looking draft.

I'd only get a custom paint job if I could see some of the painter's work, and only if that work was of the same quality (or better) as on that red bike at WFO-5. I've seen the work of a lot of different painters, and they aren't all capable of the paint job on the red feej.

Nice concept. Please post estimated price, when available.

I know it's probably not practical for a long distance bike, BUT, why can't one not only have the best performing bike, but the best looking bike.

Nice concept. Please post estimated price, when available.
I know it's probably not practical for a long distance bike, BUT, why can't one not only have the best performing bike, but the best looking bike.
Will post the quote when I get it. He still has to figure out the layout for the saddlebags and silver side pieces...

I agree... I'd like to have a bike that can ride all day for a week, and still look amazing... which is what I thought I had before I dropped it back in July...

That stormchaser theme is the $hit :dribble:

I repainted mine to pearl black H-D color. It looks black sometimes, but it really has a lot of metallic silver and pearl in the mix. It dosn't show scratches/swirl marks like a glossy black would. I was one of the FJRs at WFO that had repainted their bike. Mine cost about $220 and tons of labor, but it was worth it.

now thats hot ....... i saw a 1300 suzuki in the city 2 days ago had almost the same lay out but in black AND the blue blows it away go for it .

Will post the quote when I get it. He still has to figure out the layout for the saddlebags and silver side pieces...
Haven't seen the layout for the saddlebags/side pieces yet, but he's thinking around $2500. Which is less than the $6000 another outfit picked out of the air, but still a ton of payola. Course, I'm looking at around $1000 if I replace the fairing pieces, mirror, and side bag.

Just wish I didn't love the idea/look so much...

15 bills pays for a lotta gas or can make a decent contribution to the kids' edjumakation fund... Besides, lightening bolts are gay, so sayeth the Man of Rad...

'Zat help at all?

Haven't seen the layout for the saddlebags/side pieces yet, but he's thinking around $2500. Which is less than the $6000 another outfit picked out of the air, but still a ton of payola. Course, I'm looking at around $1000 if I replace the fairing pieces, mirror, and side bag.
Just wish I didn't love the idea/look so much...
What? Don't you realize you can get a a night at the BROADMOOR for that?

15 bills pays for a lotta gas or can make a decent contribution to the kids' edjumakation fund... Besides, lightening bolts are gay, so sayeth the Man of Rad...
'Zat help at all?
Kids college is taken care of (they're all becoming nuns). ;)

Well, if lightening bolts are gay, then I must have some unresolved issues, cause I still love the look of that first concept pic. The subsequent ones dealing with the saddlebags and sidepieces isn't as good... so maybe their is hope. :blink:

That is an awesome paint scheme, but I am surprised the silver panels are not painted like slappy's.

That is an awesome paint scheme, but I am surprised the silver panels are not painted like slappy's.
They will be, if I do it. He sent me a version with a concept for the sides and sidecases, and it wasn't the direction I was trying to go. I've tried to get him back on track with some clarifications, and he said that he wasn't overly thrilled with what he had sent me, but thought that's what I wanted. He's working on version 3 now.

We'll see.

They will be, if I do it. He sent me a version with a concept for the sides and sidecases, and it wasn't the direction I was trying to go. I've tried to get him back on track with some clarifications, and he said that he wasn't overly thrilled with what he had sent me, but thought that's what I wanted. He's working on version 3 now.
We'll see.
In other words a paint scheme that already looks really good is going to be better = bye bye hard earned money!