Repainting an FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you....

• Buy factory replacement parts?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Have the individual pieces repainted to look like the rest

• Leave it alone... scratches add character...and show that it's more than a trailer queen.

• You'll never see them once the bugs/dirt get thick enough...

• Get a custom paint job (single color)

• Get a cusom paint job (artwork, etc.)

• Total voters
Groo, several cans of rust-oleum and a couple sixpacks of your favorite drink and you can get -er done for under a hundred :yahoo:

Really that is a great looking layout and scheme you have chosen.

weekend rider

Great scheme...you seem to have a painter already, but if not, there's a lady lives in Houston somewhere who does bike graphics. She frequents the Two Wheeled Texans site, her screen name is "Squeaky." I know she's done some work for others...I've not personally seen it.

I CAN vouch for two places in Austin, one a body shop that that did a dead match job on the right side of my FJR after my dachshund knocked it over...hadda be that, can't think how else it might've happened...and I know some guys do lowrider custom work who do a fabulous job with paint and custom stuff. Real nice people, both groups, but of course they're in Austin. I bet the hopper guys would be a lot cheaper than a custom bike painter.

If you want the info, pm me, and i'll get it to you.

Groo,

The yellow 50th anniv. paint job is real cool

Your blue lightning vision is awesome :)

Go with what your gut (or heart) tells you, you're not going to be sorry whatever you do -- you might if you don't ---------- know whatta mean?

Concept01.jpg
I wonder how that would look if he would tru the silver body panels painted the engine color and the exposed frame black?

If he can match the fairing and tank lightning bolts on the sidecases....I'd have the plastic at his shop after the first storm of the Winter.

Uhm, my vote is ++++++++++++++++! Waaaayyyy kewel concept.

Just don't drop it again.

Hmmm, I've thought about painting my '04. At this moment, I am thinking about using SEM's Shovelhead Red, a brilliant red pearl that should look lovely.... If I just weren't so darn busy making these racks, I'd have it done by now... :rolleyes:

If he can match the fairing and tank lightning bolts on the sidecases....I'd have the plastic at his shop after the first storm of the Winter.
Uhm, my vote is ++++++++++++++++! Waaaayyyy kewel concept.
Lightning bolts on the sidecases and silver sections under the front seat made it look like "The Electricity bike"... which is not what I was going for. This is the latest version of the concept, still being tweaked. We ditched the road/mountain components at the bottom, since it made the overall effect too "busy"... I think the current pics have the blue shading becoming too light, too fast going backwards... I like the darker blue (like the original color)... and maybe too much of the "sun behind the cloud" effect... but it's coming along.

Concept04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, how about the lower tank panel - leave it black or paint it out, too?
No rainbows... :lol:

Might get a bit too much knee/leg interaction there... could rub the paint and make it worse than leaving it alone... dunno... but it might help tie the middle together a bit more... :)

Looks good, how about the lower tank panel - leave it black or paint it out, too?
No rainbows... :lol:

Might get a bit too much knee/leg interaction there... could rub the paint and make it worse than leaving it alone... dunno... but it might help tie the middle together a bit more... :)
I'd still like to see it with the frame black and the side panel "engine color" or "frame color" instead of liquid silver..

I'd still like to see it with the frame black and the side panel "engine color" or "frame color" instead of liquid silver..
I've been considering blacking out the frame and all of the light silver parts on my bike. I've been developing the blue/black theme.

I don't know how the textured black panels would hold up to paint long term.

I don't know how the textured black panels would hold up to paint long term.

I properly prepped, there will be no difference in the life expectancy of these panels vs. any of the others on the bike.

I properly prepped, there will be no difference in the life expectancy of these panels vs. any of the others on the bike.
That was one of my concerns about including them... Plus, that piece gets flexed a good bit when removing it to pull out that one rubber grommeted backside push fitting. We'll see... may have him include it in the next version to see if it adds much to the flow.

Concept04.jpg

Lightning bolts on the sidecases and silver sections under the front seat made it look like "The Electricity bike"... which is not what I was going for. This is the latest version of the concept, still being tweaked. We ditched the road/mountain components at the bottom, since it made the overall effect too "busy"... I think the current pics have the blue shading becoming too light, too fast going backwards... I like the darker blue (like the original color)... and maybe too much of the "sun behind the cloud" effect... but it's coming along.
I agree with you about the too light, too fast. I also think that, as the scheme gets more busy, it gets less classy. I wonder if fading to black halfway back on the tank and on all of the mid-panels and all of the saddlebags wouldn't look a lot more trick. Also, make the storm work up front a little more subtle. I think it would look much cooler. The cloud work above the lightning bolts on the front fairing panels looks a little like filler most of the way up. It's missing some detail.

How about a gloss black/midnightblue bike with the storm detail in the middle of the side fairings fading to black/midnightblue in all directions?

So far, it's a great concept. It's just not cooked through, yet.

Wow!

I agree with the fade to light too fast. I think instead of sunbeams stick a slice of moon on the back of the bags and fade it to the a dark midnight blue within the theme of the lower faring. and go with subtle moonbeams spiking through the cloud. Both bags don't have to match either you can almost get a full transition walking around the bike as well, almost a ying yang, day night, port starboard kind of feel. Another thought just hit me with the whole storm theme and blue undertone you have a sort of water ocean typhoon feel going. You could do the back of the bags with a night rocky beach and lighthouse with the stormsurge and spray emerging from the front to back. Just thoughts

Nate

Are you going to polish the frame and swingarm and forks and then chrome the subframe and wheels? haha

(just trying to make this more complex than it already is)