Restoring water resistance to riding gear - can it be done?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a satisfied customer of Firstgear HT overpants for about 3 years now. I find them to be comfortable, breathable, and they appear to offer the protection I would need in an unscheduled get-off. They *used* to be pretty much water proof, owing to their "Sheltex" membrane, I believe. However, I recently rode with them in the rain and found that they are not as water resistant as they used to be, especially in that oh-so-embarrassing area for leakage (crotch) :blink: . I realize that they are getting older, but in every other respect they are holding up great. Has anyone ever tried (successfully) to restore the water resistance to high-tech fabrics such as these? I am thinking Scotch Guard or something, or would the right washing procedure re-align the fibers (and the stars and planets) so that dryness is restored.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Yes, it can be done, quite successfully, and relatively inexpensively.

There is a line of products at REI (and other outlets too, I'm sure) called Nikwax Waterproofing. I have done several jackets over the years, and the stuff is great. I use the stuff to wash my gear as well as waterproof it. It also retains the original breathability of the item where Scotchguard kills it.

Here is their home site (UK): https://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-us/index.php

They have a dealer locator on the site, so you can see who has it that is near you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I just happen to have a coupon for REI (they were out of stock of an item I ordered recently, and this was their consolation prize). Now I know how to make use of it!

Much appreciated! :yahoo:

Bob in Maine

Cover them with Frog Toggs...

- They work, and they work well, as evidenced last Friday at EOM. We rode for 3 hours in the rain, the only thing wet on me was my forehead where my nolan leaked through the vents, and my hands. It rained enough to soak BOTH sets of my 'water-proof gloves'... (I'm sure the grip puppies didn't help).

I see a set of Aerostich Triple digits in my future:

442_c2hsmall.jpg

They look stupid as all get out but they worked great for dad.

My HT1 pants continued to do journeyman duties for the 6 or so years I had them. I only recently replaced them with HT2 (removable liner).

Once a year, whether they needed it or not, I followed the Aerostich guidelines for cleaning Goretex type products.

1. Wash in cold water with POWDERED soap (liquid soap clogs the poors of the breathable membrane).

2. Rinse in cold water an additional 2 times (they list an additional rinse as an option iirc).

3. Hang dry.

4. Spray with outdoor-rated Scotchguard (thick foam over the whole garmet)

5. Hang dry.

Steps 3 - 4 is where you'd do the Nikwax if that's the way you wanted to go instead. However the Scotchguard was easier for me to find at more different places.

They never failed me in all those years and miles of use. The advantage of not needing to pack extra rain gear is nice and watching your riding buddies dance the rain suit boogie while you wait patiently for them is a hoot.

Renegade, my Frogg Toggs leaked at the collar and lower leg zippers. The neck area is definitely not made for a motorcycle rider. I'm going to take the jacket to my local tailor and have them put another snap in the collar so I can make it nice and tight. Same problem as you.....my Schuberth leaked water down the inside shield so bad I had to keep draining it by pulling down on the chin cover. Eventually the water went right down the front of my jacket. The leg zippers also leaked through in that torrent at EOM. But I WILL say I was bone dry everywhere else, so I'm still sold on them. A little nip here, tuck there... :D

Also, for waterproofing fabrics, look for a product called Hunt Dri. looky here

I use it on my dirtbike gear and regular boots and it works very well. I also used it on my Motoport jacket to seal up a couple leaking spots and it worked on it too.

Renegade, my Frogg Toggs leaked at the collar and lower leg zippers. The neck area is definitely not made for a motorcycle rider. I'm going to take the jacket to my local tailor and have them put another snap in the collar so I can make it nice and tight. Same problem as you.....my Schuberth leaked water down the inside shield so bad I had to keep draining it by pulling down on the chin cover. Eventually the water went right down the front of my jacket. The leg zippers also leaked through in that torrent at EOM. But I WILL say I was bone dry everywhere else, so I'm still sold on them. A little nip here, tuck there... :D
Also, for waterproofing fabrics, look for a product called Hunt Dri. looky here

I use it on my dirtbike gear and regular boots and it works very well. I also used it on my Motoport jacket to seal up a couple leaking spots and it worked on it too.
My pants were a bit moist down around the boots at the zipper too, but my boots are water proof. Given the area and exposure, I would expect about the same regardless of the gear.

As for the neck area, mine isn't real tight either and I could see you getting wet there with a smaller windshield. I kept my sheild up high enough to keep the rain off my neck, but kept the wind on my visor to keep it clear.

I know I saw a number of folks who had 'better rain gear' that were a hell of a lot wetter than I was :)

I used NikWax on my HT overpants. I followed the directions, used their soap and then the waterproofing. I did it in the washing machine. I went out in a heavy thunderstorm and tested them and they were waterproof. A few weeks later I hit another thunderstorm and they were no longer as waterproof as they had been so I went back to carrying rain gear. I think I'll try the ScotchGuard next time and see if that holds up better.

There is no replacement for good rain gear. Pull it on and off and all your other clothes and over wear stay dry. I put them in the large storage zip locks and squeeze the air out. Packs down real small.

As for the neck area, mine isn't real tight either and I could see you getting wet there with a smaller windshield. I kept my sheild up high enough to keep the rain off my neck, but kept the wind on my visor to keep it clear.
Smaller shield? I run a V stream! How much BIGGER can you get? :lol:

No, the problem was in the Shuberth helmet filling up with water at the chin area because the damn thing kept fogging. I had to leave it open slightly, allowing the water to go right down the top inside of the shield and puddle on the chin protector. Every time I went to empty it, the water would run down the inside of the collar because it wasn't tight. By the time I lowered and raised the windshield, I was already wet inside.

Schuberth......GREAT helmet. LOUSY in the rain. The front vent allows rain to go directly into the chin area. As soon as you close it, the shield fogs instantly. A real PITA.

Nikwax is great stuff. Something to be aware of if not already mentioned. Do not use certain detergents to wash you gear if using the Nikwax waterproofer. I forgot what the ingredient in the detergent is but sure that it's stated in the directions on the bottle. I am pretty sure that the ingredient is found in liquid & powder detergent. Be safe & use Nikwax's Techwash before the waterproof treatment. Trust me on this one.

Heidi

So, which one of you guys was it that wanted my piece of shit Frogg Togg jacket? PM me, I'll send it to you. I'd love to make it someone else's piece of shit.

Renegade, I see you looking at the 3 toed sloth gloves? They do look silly... but they definitely work.

Was it you who wanted that POS jacket?

So, which one of you guys was it that wanted my piece of shit Frogg Togg jacket? PM me, I'll send it to you. I'd love to make it someone else's piece of shit.
Renegade, I see you looking at the 3 toed sloth gloves? They do look silly... but they definitely work.

Wasn't I.. My Toggs work, I don't want your defective shit :)

Smaller shield? I run a V stream! How much BIGGER can you get? :lol:

No, the problem was in the Shuberth helmet filling up with water at the chin area because the damn thing kept fogging. I had to leave it open slightly, allowing the water to go right down the top inside of the shield and puddle on the chin protector. Every time I went to empty it, the water would run down the inside of the collar because it wasn't tight. By the time I lowered and raised the windshield, I was already wet inside.

Schuberth......GREAT helmet. LOUSY in the rain. The front vent allows rain to go directly into the chin area. As soon as you close it, the shield fogs instantly. A real PITA.
Weird, I've used my Schuberth C2 in frog-drowning downpours and have yet to have it fog a lick. I noticed a difference using a new shield that had never been washed with anything but water vs. the original shield which had undoubtedly seen enough chemicals used to render the factory fog-resistance long gone.

What model lid you running?

As for rain gear, what's rain? Since moving out here, I have only seen precip twice, and both were very short. It's often forecast, but rarely manifests, it seems. As such, I've stopped carrying rain gear on day rides, but will probably pack my one-piece suit for the Spank next month in case.

Wasn't I.. My Toggs work, I don't want your defective shit :)
Jacket doesn't appear defective. Only worn once. It was the pants that were found to be paper material hunks of toilet paper upon 1st use. Pieces of tissue paper. You can use them to wipe your ass & thinking that is what they are best at. Don't you want mine for when your Toggs takes a dump? It's a men's large in gray/white.

Oh, sorry for the thread hijack.

I'll take 'em!!! ;) Same ones I have. Mine leaked at the side zippers.

Rayban, isn't the C2 the newer model? I think mine is the C1. Worst venting design ever when used in the rain. The chin vent tilts outward on the top, allowing water to run right inside. If you close the vent it starts to fog. So you pop the top of the shield and water runs off the top of the windshield right into the open shield top. Where does it all end up? On that (leather?) air barrier under the chin, soaking it to death. For the last 150 miles to EOM, my chin was under water..literally. I had to keep pulling the barrier down to drain it, allowing the water to run right down the inside of the Frogg Togg collar which is nowhere near tight enough. The jacket is on it's way to my tailor to put a couple more snaps in to tighten up the collar.

I used NikWax on my HT overpants. I followed the directions, used their soap and then the waterproofing. I did it in the washing machine. I went out in a heavy thunderstorm and tested them and they were waterproof. A few weeks later I hit another thunderstorm and they were no longer as waterproof as they had been so I went back to carrying rain gear. I think I'll try the ScotchGuard next time and see if that holds up better.
Stich "stuff" is hard to beat!

jim

If you stick your hands into the water containing the Nik-Wax solution, follow the directions and don rubber gloves first, lest you end up with pesky synthetic boogers clinging to your skin. DAMHIK.