Ridding comfort (seats)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreed94103

Reaction score
I've put 1,200 miles on my new 2012 FJR with 3 rides over 200 each. After 100 miles in the saddle by butt is sore and my hips start hurting and sending pain down my legs. If I stand up for a quick minute or stop and walk around it goes away for 20 plus miles and then gets sore again.

I've been reading posts on the Russell seats and was curious if others felt the same symptoms before they purchased a new seat. Don't mind spending the money if it takes away the pain

Thanks for your feedback

I've put 1,200 miles on my new 2012 FJR with 3 rides over 200 each. After 100 miles in the saddle by butt is sore and my hips start hurting and sending pain down my legs. If I stand up for a quick minute or stop and walk around it goes away for 20 plus miles and then gets sore again.

I've been reading posts on the Russell seats and was curious if others felt the same symptoms before they purchased a new seat. Don't mind spending the money if it takes away the pain

Thanks for your feedback
Same here, after 1000 miles on my 2012, I can't stand the saddle anymore (to soft) so I order a Sargent last week and should receive it this week.

I had a Sargent on my Honda VFR for 5 years and love it. :)

I had the same problemwitht he stock seat. I went with a Corbin. I regularly ride out a full tank now. Pillion seat comfort was an issue also.

Another tip is to not sit in one position all the time. Stretch your legs, stand on the pegs, dangle your feet, arch your back, to isometrics. Do this BEFORE you start getting sore and do it about every 30 minutes. It will help extend your ride comfort.

You don't sit in one position all the time even in your favorite easy chair. Don't lock into one position when riding either.

Saturday I put 542 miles on my 2012. After about 200 I got those sore pressure points in my ass but it was bearable and intermittent. After a 15 minute break it disappeared for a while.

At about 400 miles my ass was ok but my left hip and knee started to ache a little, again intermittently. I think a set of pegs up front will take care of that. I wasn't sore (butt or legs) when I got home and haven't been since.

As much as I'd like to try a Russell I'm hesitant to spend the bucks just yet - AND I'm a short guy for the FJR (5'6" , 29" inseam). Riding solo I'm on my toes so I need to keep my sear low. I'm a little concerned about spending the $$ and it making little difference. Considering the length of ride I really wasn't that uncomfortable. However, I do plan to take a lot of long rides so I decided to order the Airhawk 2 for slabbing and running the non-twisty stuff. We'll see if that does the trick since I did ok with the stock seat. If it doesn't make a difference I'll take them up on the 60 day money back guarantee.

Saturday's ride report:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=145533&pid=962463&st=0entry962463

Last edited by a moderator:
Another tip is to not sit in one position all the time. Stretch your legs, stand on the pegs, dangle your feet, arch your back, to isometrics. Do this BEFORE you start getting sore and do it about every 30 minutes. It will help extend your ride comfort.

You don't sit in one position all the time even in your favorite easy chair. Don't lock into one position when riding either.
+1 I do the same in the truck. It makes all the difference in the world.

A guy I ride with is getting into seat making and re-built mine. He did my Aprilia seat a couple years ago and just did the FJR seat. I found the stock seat to be too high in the middle and didn't support the legs or hips. A little firmer padding all around and raised on the sides in the rear made a huge difference.

I am constantly moving and stretching while ridding but to no avail, I have a 6 day trip coming up and want to be comfortable.

Saturday I put 542 miles on my 2012. After about 200 I got those sore pressure points in my ass but it was bearable and intermittent. After a 15 minute break it disappeared for a while.

At about 400 miles my ass was ok but my left hip and knee started to ache a little, again intermittently. I think a set of pegs up front will take care of that. I wasn't sore (butt or legs) when I got home and haven't been since.

As much as I'd like to try a Russell I'm hesitant to spend the bucks just yet - AND I'm a short guy for the FJR (5'6" , 29" inseam). Riding solo I'm on my toes so I need to keep my sear low. I'm a little concerned about spending the $$ and it making little difference. Considering the length of ride I really wasn't that uncomfortable. However, I do plan to take a lot of long rides so I decided to order the Airhawk 2 for slabbing and running the non-twisty stuff. We'll see if that does the trick since I did ok with the stock seat. If it doesn't make a difference I'll take them up on the 60 day money back guarantee.

Saturday's ride report:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=145533&pid=962463&st=0entry962463
Keep us updated on the air hawk, I live in the pacific NW and most any ride has lots of curves and the airhawk kind of worries me.

Is there such a thing as highway pegs or our fjr's?
Yep. I'm looking for myself.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/pegs/pegs.html
Try at MCL site in this link: https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

Greate highway pegs!!but this time they are sold out..you must wait some days maybee for availability..and then you can see it.

When an item is not available at MCL site you can not see the photo of the item..those highway pegs are realy beautifoul!!wait,have a look..end after you can tell me....This is the link of the pegs i think:https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=267

When are available you can see them...

I might pick up a Russell one of these days when I have the money, but I've found the Airhawk to completely solve the problems I was having with the seat (Corbin). Properly adjusted (this is key!!!), the Airhawk works extremely well in all riding situations and gives my arse all day comfort (the knees are the problem these days). I have the neoprene rubber version. No problems in the twisties on it...it stays on the bike all of the time. Hope it works for you!

There's a museum out there, I just know it, with the FJR and FZ6 seats hanging side by side, on a display for modern day torture. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
bought the bike used in '06 with front & rear Sargeant Seats

it being wider combined with an Airhawk, I've commonly done 700mi days on the interstate, and an IronButt 1000mi / 24hrs with no issues anymore.

There's a museum out there, I just know it, with the FJR and FZ6 seats hanging side by side, on a display for modern day torture. ;)

If it makes you feel better the stock seat on the ST1300 is even worse. That is the first thing that we get rid of. I put a Sargent on my ST and it made more difference than I thought it would.

I've been reading posts on the Russell seats and was curious if others felt the same symptoms before they purchased a new seat. Don't mind spending the money if it takes away the pain.
As stated by others, a Russell would probably solve the problem. I'm not a Corbin fan - BTDT - and also had a Sargent (for an ST1100), but the custom saddles are in a whole other category, in terms of fit, all-day comfort and customer service (Corbin's anyway, no experience with Sargent's). I have two Russells currently and have had two others as well as a couple of Rick Mayer's saddles. The custom saddles are worth the money.