Ride plans for EOM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know.

You livin' IN the bottle these days?
Nope, I'm at that point in my life where I just follow the front wheel or Bungie. Either one is equally capable of getting me lost. Bungie is coming to the Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride just before EOM. If I don't show up in North Carolina Bungie is leading us to Alaska while trying to find Ottawa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm riding down and back solo and picking Line up at the Asheville aeroport. Seems she got a promotion to management and is to start the same week as EOM. She's going to try and keep 4 days instead of 6 as planned. Got my fingers crossed it'll work out, hate to have an empty king suite.

Oh ya, checking airfares. If she flies out of Toronto, it's $450 return, if she flies out of Sudbury it's over a $1000! Jeebuz!

Looks like I'm riding down and back solo and picking Line up at the Asheville aeroport. Seems she got a promotion to management and is to start the same week as EOM. She's going to try and keep 4 days instead of 6 as planned. Got my fingers crossed it'll work out, hate to have an empty king suite.
Oh ya, checking airfares. If she flies out of Toronto, it's $450 return, if she flies out of Sudbury it's over a $1000! Jeebuz!
See... now you have head down early or stay late.....

Shame to have a King suite all to your self. Maybe you could try here.
smile.png

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150993-eom-2013-room-share/

I have no firm plans yet. but I'll probably take two days to ride down, maybe stop in Elkins on Wednesday night. I'm riding down with Thingfish and need to talk it over with him.

If anyone riding down is in the VICINITY of the Blue Ridge Pkwy in Virginia, keep in touch. Meadows of Dan... where I plan on overnighting is directly off of the Parkway. I don't plan to ride the Parkways south but right now, I am planning that as my Wednesday night position & I will be looking for folks to ride the much twistier-than-BRP route into MV on Thursday morning.

The week of EOM has grown into my annual vacation and decompression cycle. Here's what our travel plans look like at this point, and are, as always, subject to change...
Monday, September 16, 2013 - Michigan to Parkersburg, WV.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - Parkersburg, WV to Lewisburg, WV

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - Lewisburg, WV to Lenoir, NC

Thursday, September 19, 2013 - Lenoir, NC to Maggie Valley, NC

Sunday - ride half way home, finish the ride home on Monday.
I envy your planning. Heres my plan.

12th Abercrombie to La Crosse WI

13th & 14th ride with CFO folks

15th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

16th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

17th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

18th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

19th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

20th , 21st ride with EOM folks

22nd & 23rd high tail it home!

I envy your planning. Heres my plan.12th Abercrombie to La Crosse WI

13th & 14th ride with CFO folks

15th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

16th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

17th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

18th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

19th riding somewhere between La Crosse and Maggie Valley

20th , 21st ride with EOM folks

22nd & 23rd high tail it home!
This is a good plan.

Mine is simple compared to the hop-skip-jump my gf is doing to get down there via air. What a farce air travel is.

Anyway, my plan

Wed, leave. Ride till I get tired.

Thurs. Ride until I get to Maggie Valley. Check in. Unload Lines stuff. Get back on bike, go pick up Line at the Airport in Asheville.

Friday - Ride the Dragon/Cherohala and a top secret road and photograph my bike on it to prove it's existance See Photo below.

Saturday - Either the Blueridge Parkway or the Southern Cross Loop. Depends on the weather.

Sunday - The one I didn't ride above.

Monday - Drop Line off at the airport, come back, load my shit up and head North.

Tuesday - Arrive home after riding my favourite road (Rt 16 VA) and a few other select bits.

2904021.jpg

(Pic was taken in 2007, hopefully it's still in good condition. It's short, but so very sweet. And yes 'Fitter, I know _exactly_ where it is)

Sounds like a good plan Bungie. I'd like to follow you on some of that. MY PLAN!

Tuesday the 17th,

West Palm Beach to Sanford FL to crash at my niece's house and visit with a lot of family. I'm everybody's favorite uncle Vic. I will be treated like a King!

Wednesday 18th,

Sanford FL to Orangeburg, SC. Perfect nine hour ride for me.

Thursday 19th,

Orangeburg SC to Maggie Valley to check in.

On Saturday I'll meet up with Philjet09 and find somewhere fun to ride.

Check out on Sunday and start a six week mini cross country Bucket List ride that I've wanted to do since...... Forever!

If Redfish isn't working, I'll let him turn me on to a New Orleans seafood Coma. If I die, I'll die Happy! :))

2904021.jpg

(Pic was taken in 2007, hopefully it's still in good condition. It's short, but so very sweet. And yes 'Fitter, I know _exactly_ where it is)
I'm calling Bullshit and I'm not going to believe any Photoshop nonsense either. I need to physically see this road for myself and it better be really close to Hwy 28 where you spent hours looking for it. Send me the GPS co-ordinates because I'm not wasting another day watching you being lost. Too many good roads to ride to waste time on that foolishness.
tonguesmiley.gif

That picture looks like a small piece of Rte 311 in VA.

Here's one that's HaulinAshe's secret road but I'll spill the beans. It's a great little run you guys might be interested in if you're coming in from the north on I-40 or have some time kill out of Maggie Valley. Link Waypoints B to C are 9 miles of the tightest slalom road I've ever seen. There's a very short section of gravel south of waypoint B but is state maintained so no big deal. I-40 between there and Maggie Valley isn't half bad. It's about as close as an interstate highway gets to being actual sweepers.

Here's one that's HaulinAshe's secret road but I'll spill the beans. It's a great little run you guys might be interested in if you're coming in from the north on I-40 or have some time kill out of Maggie Valley. Link Waypoints B to C are 9 miles of the tightest slalom road I've ever seen. There's a very short section of gravel south of waypoint B but is state maintained so no big deal. I-40 between there and Maggie Valley isn't half bad. It's about as close as an interstate highway gets to being actual sweepers.
Why am I drooling and making noise like Chewbacca? Oh ya, theirs actually a google streetview available!

Why am I drooling and making noise like Chewbacca? Oh ya, theirs actually a google streetview available!
Even the gravel section looked fun!!!