Ride the Devil's Highway with Skooterg & BeemerDonS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the one hour time difference help us out???
Unfortunately there's no time difference between us folks, so the answer is no, but it'd have helped A LOT otherwise. El Paso is the only TX city on Mountain time, being on the southernmost tip of the state (right next to NM).

Being at least 2 hours off in our timing, it makes no sense for the group to wait for me, but really appreciate the offer. Will probably leave on Monday or Tuesday to enjoy the trip more. Every time I ride the mountains on Sundays, I have to endure (and sacrifice) miles of twisty roads behind crawling RVs, and that's no fun, makes the trip more dangerous, increases fatigue, and adds hours to the trip. That last reason would throw my timing off even more, so better leave it for another occasion folks. Hope you enjoy it very much. I'll be right behind you, so if you dropped something, I could look for it :lol: .

As far as where I'll be staying in Eagar, I'm open to suggestions since I've never stayed there. I stayed in Greer, which is farther away. I was also thinking of staying in Alpine, but never saw a proper motel there (open to suggestions as well, in case I missed it, but don't bother with B&Bs; don't like them). The reason I'd prefer Alpine is to detour to Reserve, on hwy 12, which would be new to me, rather than the mostly straight road to Eagar. Other than seeing some magnificent elk, it was boring. Thanks again for all your replies folks. Have a good one.

JC

Have a good ride. I left SW-FOG and rode to Springerville and stayed overnight. Next day rode the entire Devil's Highway loop with side trip to Mogollon (what a place to retire).

First major turn above the copper mine can be deceptive.

Longrider

vectervp1 and I have both stayed over at either Mountain Hi Lodge or Sportsman's Lodge. We like them both and find them reasonable. Both have gravel parking lots: It is in Alpine!
No kidding. First time there I was waiting for Alpine, only to find out I already passed it (oops!). Gravel is not a big deal as long as it's not raining, which I hope to avoid with a dry forecast (wouldn't have any fun in the twisties when wet). Will probably stay at the Mountain Hi Lodge. Thanks for everything.

JC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon%2C_New_Mexico Mogollon is right across the state line from where I want to retire to.

Longrider: I hear you loud and clear about the Mogollon Rim and Tonto Basin being a perfect place to retire to. I just may be finalizing a deal on this property below on Sunday. I still have 26.5 months until Social Security; but I want to buy NOW!

199 N. Rifle Barrel Rd. Young, AZ

4.62 acres Assessor Parcel Number 305-18-037A

Lots 34, 35, & 37 Cherry Creek Estates Subdivision 2005 property taxes: $778.38 2006 property taxes: $459.36

Double wide – 2006 Fleetwood

County approved foundation system

Seller purchased Home Warranty Plan – will cover Buyer for 1 full year after close of escrow.

Shingle roof

Split floor plan Total square feet 1,782

3 bedrooms, possible den, 2 full baths

Vaulted ceilings

Formal dining room

Breakfast bar in kitchen

Flat glass top, electric range.

Dish washer

Refrigerator

Laundry room in utility room w/washer (maytag) & dryer (electric)

Water heater – 40 gallon (electric)

Cooling – central electric refrigeration. Ceiling fan

Heating – Propane, forced air

APS electric service

Midvale Telephone service

Private registered well

Septic System - 1500 gal. Tank, 2 leach lines. 7’ deep, 18” wide trenches

Certified to meet code by Gila County Health Dept.

partially fenced and cross-fenced with wire

Corners marked

RV parking

Horses okay

Most recent sale of similar treed acreage:

6.243 acres on Cherry Creek with USFS across the creek

$36,000/acre recorded December 2005

Asking price: $285,000

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=989.15 ELP_JC: If this changes things: Dr. Bob Flanders and I have decided to spend Sunday night, September 14 in Alpine. Bob made the reservation yesterday and left me a voice mail.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=105188 The photos from Stef - teerex51, Dave - Orestes, and Eric - Caba show what our ugly mugs look like. Bob will be riding the exact same bike he is riding in the Pyrenees photos - an R1200RT BMW. I'll be on "Lucy Liu" my 2003 FJR; she is painted BMW blue and original silver in a K1200RS two-tone pattern.

vectervp1 and I have both stayed over at either Mountain Hi Lodge or Sportsman's Lodge. We like them both and find them reasonable. Both have gravel parking lots: It is in Alpine!
The Sportsman's does have one lane of paving in the parking lot (for the gravel-averse).

Tal-Wi-Wi's nice too -- has a restaurant on-site.

There are some cabins available in-town, also.

https://www.southwestrides.com/vbulletin/sh...80681#post80681 If you think that it is spectacular to watch our SkooterG biff "The Dirty Old Whore" (poor baby!) on dry roads, you haven't seen anything until you see him ride his FJR in the snow!!!

Our friend Jordan Meschow from AZ Beemers, who I am riding with to Guadalajara/Puerto Vallarta, Mexico this October, sent me this ADV article telling me that the AZ Triumph RAT group hit snow/hail on The Devil's Highway just this last weekend.

Give GregM a wide berth if there is some white stuff on the pavement; 300 yards should be OK. Follow in vectervp1 and Chuy's tire tracks for your personal safety. We Mexican/Irishmen know how to ride in the sleet. Que lastima! Ese, verdad!!

I just wanted to bump this great ride for next Sunday, September 14. The Devil's Highway '666' is a Classic American Road!

If I win the Powerball Jackpot tonight, I'd pay to have Richard-Fairlaner race "El Camino del Diablo" against Teerex51 - Stef on their FJR's and film it from the air with a helicopter. And just for grins and giggles, we would enter SkooterG also. HA!!!

So how many are over nighting ? 1 day trip ? Are the plans including lunch at Hannagan Meadow or Alpine around noon or later ? The pace for a full day ride might be a bit quicker than a 1/2 way ride . . . . Enquiring mindless want to know . . .

So how many are over nighting ? 1 day trip ? Are the plans including lunch at Hannagan Meadow or Alpine around noon or later ? The pace for a full day ride might be a bit quicker than a 1/2 way ride . . . . Enquiring mindless want to know . . .
FJRobert, I've placed your question over at www.azbeemers.org/forum Right now it appears to be just 15 riders going, with only a third of those overnighting. Realistically, I would figure lunch at 1PM at Hannagan Meadow Lodge due to pictures/gas.

We also have to allow time for Crazey Davey Cooleman to smoke a pack of cigarettes and for SkooterG to talk, talk, talk,...

ELP_JC: If this changes things: Dr. Bob Flanders and I have decided to spend Sunday night, September 14 in Alpine.
Sure does. And it looks like I'll be able to make it; will know for sure early next week.

Re-read your thread over the linked site above (AZBeemers?) and apparently there're no rooms left at both Sportsman and Mountain High, correct? How far from where you're staying is the Talwiwi? And how many are staying overnight? Just curious, but if both motels are full, sounds like a lot of 'cabrones', no :p ? Take care.

JC

Talwiwi Lodge is 4 miles north of the intersection of 191 and 180. 8 people are staying so far.
Thanks buddy. Should be making the reservation Wednesday at the most. Will keep you updated.

Since I will get there later than your group, might get there via 180 this time, and take a detour to Reserve; seems like a nice road. Then come back on 191 Monday morning. That way I would hit Morenci much earlier. Last time I was dying in 110º heat in early April; can't imagine what it's like now at 2 o'clock. :blinksmiley:

Anyway, my plans are to check in at the Talwiwi, clean up, then meet you guys for dinner. Will need to know time and place, and maybe directions. I should be there by 6pm at the most (God willing). I'd show up on my silver '07 FJR WITH CLUTCH ;) , so can't miss it. Good day folks.

JC

ELP_JC: If you are coming into Alpine on Highway 180, do a drive through of the Mountain Hi and Sportsman's parking lots.

You should see my silver-blue 03 FJR at Mountain Hi and Uri Schumm's silver R1150RT Beemer at the Sportsman's Lodge.