Ride the Devil's Highway with Skooterg & BeemerDonS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's AZB Ride Report from SkooterG, FJRobert and Don's friend Uri Schumm. Uri rode Andalusia, Spain with beemerdons.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 14, 2008 was finally here. Seven O'clock in the morning saw

fifteen BMWs and Yamahas, primarily FJRs, gather at the Chevron Station on

Goldfield Road and U.S. 60 for the much anticipated Devil’s Highway Ride. About

fifteen years ago the former US 666, in another example of political correctness

gone awry, was dubbed Arizona 191 for our brilliant legislature. Whatever the

name, this 95 mile road allegedly has over 500 turns. It has earned a special

place in the heart of AZ Beemers and Arizona FJR Forum Members.

I had spent the previous night at the home of AZ Beemer Chuy Medina - beemerdons, the trip’s

organizer. This saved me 80 miles of driving on Saturday from my home in

Wittmann. We rode the first 150 miles to Safford without a break in perfect

weather. There we topped off our tanks and proceeded toward Morenci, the site of

deepest open pit copper mine in Arizona. Unfortunately for Cooleyman, he had to

turn back toward Phoenix because of severe back pain. Dave could teach many a

biker a few things about negotiating the challenging Devil’s Highway. The rest

of us took off in small groups with a sense of anticipation.

Everyone rode solo except for Henry who had as his passenger Dawn. I rode with

Jordan our “Club Attorney” and my riding buddy Dr. Bob. Iron Butt Greg and his

FJR compadres, blasted off not to be seen again until lunch. The three of us

drove past the mine and turned off to an overlook where we gazed in awe at the

incredibly deep excavation. There Jordan informed us that his new BMW F800S was

again acting up. The new engine management computer installed by BMW did not fix

the vexing and dangerous problem that this motorcycle had. The engine would die

at unpredictable times for no discernable reason. Jordan called BMW Motorrad and

arranged to have his bike transported back to Phoenix. For the half hour or more

that it took to make this arrangement, Bob and I stayed with him.

Finally Bob and I began a reprise of a ride we had first done together in 2005.

Once away from the mine area and a number of patches of gravel in the road, we

were able to get into a comfortable pattern negotiating the countless twisties

on this two lane highway. Traffic was light and we passed the occasional

obstructing vehicle at will. 666 requires full concentration as it is possibly

the most technically challenging route in Arizona. It climbs from an altitude of

4700 feet at Morenci to 9100 feet in Hannagan Meadow. Then it drops to 8200

feet at its terminus in Alpine. There are no shoulders and no guard rails, and

the drop-off along most of the road is many hundreds of feet. In fact we heard

later in the day a Harley rider went over the side last week and did not

survive.

We had little time to gaze upon the beautiful mountain scenery. Occasional quick

glances at the mountainsides treed in Ponderosa pine, oak, aspen and juniper

under a ceiling of bright blue sky was all we dared. Today was a day to relish

the skill and art of motorcycling, not for sightseeing. Shifting up and down,

leaning left and right, using the engine to decelerate into and power out of

turns was both a chore and a joy. The road was mostly in good condition but

there were some rough patches. At higher elevations we drove through gently

sloping meadows, and were able to get out of second and third gear where we had

spent most of our time. Bob’s R1200RT and my R1150RT performed beautifully.

By the time we arrived in Alpine we were more than ready for the greasy but

delicious burger and fries at the Bear Wallow Inn. There we met our companions

most of whom continued the circuit back to the valley for a 500 mile day. Bob,

Don, Tom, Jim, Chris and I spent the night in Alpine. We awoke the next day to a

clear but chilly 38 degree day. I found it ironic as I was packing, that I

needed to presoak my cooling vest in a Ziplock bag for later in the day. After a

hearty breakfast at the Bear Wallow Bob, Jim, Chris and I took off. Don had left

at first light, and Tom headed out to see a friend in New Mexico.

The temperature warmed up quickly, and by the time we reached Hon Dah we were

able to shed our insulating layers. The ride through the White Mountain Apache

Reservation was beautiful. We first felt real heat in the twisties heading down

into the Salt River Canyon. Fortunately, once we climbed out of the canyon the

temperature moderated. A few miles later we came upon an awesome sight. About

200 feet above us we saw 70-80 vultures circling. I can only speculate as to

what delicious carrion they were eyeing.

After topping off in Globe, where I donned my cooling vest, we headed back to

the valley. It was damn hot for my final 160 miles to Wittmann. My total

mileage for this trip was 726. What a great ride we all had! If you have not

yet experienced motorcycling on the Devil’s Highway, or if you are ready for a

repeat, just post an announcement for this ride. You’ll have no shortage of

takers.

Greg, Robert, Chris and anyone else who took pictures, please post these as a “reply”

this story.

You can view the full announcement by following this link:

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1070.0

Regards,

The AZBeemers.org Forum Team. and Arizona FJR Forum

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1070.0 Here are pictures of the Devil's Highway riders at one of the hundreds of hairpin multiple switchback curves on '666'. 1st picture is of one of the two most beautiful FJR's on our Forum: My gorgeous two-tone silver & blue 2003, Miss Lucy Liu. Only other FJR that's as pretty is Richard-Fairlaner's Black Beauty!!!

We intentionally blurred the photo of SkooterG's "Dirty Old Whore" to hide the battle scars! Nice form on FJRobert and Jack!

Thanks for posting this, what a great write up ! I always enjoy riding with the AZBeemers/AZFJRs tag team events ! Could not have been a better day & road conditions excellent except for the lower part of the climb where there is always a bit of sand/dirt damaged road. This road is not to be missed when considering top rides in the U.S.

I didn't have my camera along on tis trip . . . . bummer

You caught me as I was about to wave at you in the pic !

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...msg5595#msg5595 This makes me puke! The current President Brian Boles of AZ Beemers(I'm past President) complimented SkooterG as taking the curve pictured with the greatest style!
If his pointed little head wasn't swollen enough already. We did have photos where the riders thought they were in England!
I got caught just as I was turning my head to wave (Best pic I have, Thanx !) . . . .Great pics :goatee:

Hey gang. Came back this afternoon. What an awesome ride, and absolutely perfect weather. Not only zero rain, but highest temp was 82 coming home (thanks to a 'cold front', rather than upper 90s), and lowest 55 this morning in Hannagan (and yes, it was open for dinner and breakfast; don't know about lunch because I wasn't there); no need for even a liner. And besides 191 and 180, did Gila twice, so it was twisty overload. On the seriously twisty roads, I probably passed 3 cars in the 2 days, so maximum fun, safety and progress. All other roads had very light traffic, as expected, so could travel quite faster than on a weekend. Only saw ONE freaking cop and that was when he turned his lights on, on the road I least expected. I wasn't even paying attention (slowing down on blind curves, crests, etc., like I always do. I will next time). I gave no excuses, and guess he'd have done the same on a desolated road, so he let me go. He told me a cop in a bad mood could jail somebody in NM for doing 84 on a 50 (reckless driving); good to know. Cool guy. My record stays clean then (whew!).

FJR was incredible. Other than a flashing 'ABS' light once, when I stopped for a break (went away after restarting), that was it. Will investigate that further, and maybe start a separate thread if needed. The stock Z6s didn't skip a beat, and I pushed them HARD, but have read they show cords without warning, and sooner than expected, so will have to watch them. Mileage was incredible: I got 49.7 mpg on the way there (240 miles on a tank with 2 lines still showing; wow!). And 45.5 on the way back, due to more twisties (191) and a lot of near triple-digit speeds. With the changes I made (seat and pegs), ergos were perfect. And no more peg scraping and a bit more leg room; more vibration, but didn't put my feet to sleep, so a happy compromise. Did a total of 716 miles, including a detour to Reserve. It was a LONG 2 days, with that many slow twisties, but I ride for the twisties, so was all smiles. Awesome bike; couldn't be more pleased. It's a keeper folks. Later.

JC

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...msg5660#msg5660 Some more pictures from Alpine, Arizona 9/14.

Three of the AZB riders that stayed at the Tal-Wi-Wi Lodge would not recommend it to other Forum Members on future rides.

Dr. Bob Flanders and I liked the Sportsman's Lodge so much that after the first of the year I intend to put half of its rooms on my VISA credit card for Saturday, August 15, 2009. I will announce the ride here in mid-January and the first people that respond with payment for their rooms are enrolled for Alpine & Devil's Highway Ride 2009. Bring your ladies next time!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?t...msg5660#msg5660 Some more pictures from Alpine, Arizona 9/14.
I will announce the ride here in mid-January and the first people that respond with payment for their rooms are enrolled for Alpine & Devil's Highway Ride 2009. Bring your ladies next time!
Yo Don! I think you will see "Los Tres Amigos" from Californio, on the Devil's highway ride next year.

Jorge', Roberto, y Rudy

Hmmm, what book should I read?