Rider down and he owes a thank you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your explanation of what might have caused the front end wash out makes sense to me. I tend to ride a lot of California mountain roads and the kind of uphill switchbacks that you find can definitely put the weight on the back wheel making it easy to lift the front while rolling on the throttle out of the turn............I noticed an awful lot of rocks in the roads of the big dog ride. This has been par for the course this year. The fact that you were going uphill though a tight hairpin would certainly make that situation even worse.
I know a lot of very experienced and very skilled riders that have had the same kind of accident as you.
X10! Those of us who ride these roads have seen so many bikes at "odd" angles and positions, hence our warnings. It seems you have great wisdom to share with all your fellow riders. :blink: As others have posted, parts are but a few dollars and hardly worth comparing to injury. I'm glad you made it home alright....let the "farkling" begin, in earnest!

I came by after you crashed and notified the riders ahead that were waiting for you.

That was one hairball corner. It started off real sharp and then got sharper as it gained elevation.

The tarsnakes didn't help much either.

Glad your OK

Good thing you are ok...however...I suggest you go stock, otherwise, everyone else in the world knows that you layed her down....unless we are talking about bill gates...then the story changes.

Your explanation of what might have caused the front end wash out makes sense to me. I tend to ride a lot of California mountain roads and the kind of uphill switchbacks that you find can definitely put the weight on the back wheel making it easy to lift the front while rolling on the throttle out of the turn............I noticed an awful lot of rocks in the roads of the big dog ride. This has been par for the course this year. The fact that you were going uphill though a tight hairpin would certainly make that situation even worse.

I know a lot of very experienced and very skilled riders that have had the same kind of accident as you.
X10! Those of us who ride these roads have seen so many bikes at "odd" angles and positions, hence our warnings. It seems you have great wisdom to share with all your fellow riders. :blink: As others have posted, parts are but a few dollars and hardly worth comparing to injury. I'm glad you made it home alright....let the "farkling" begin, in earnest!
I agree with both the above posts.

Really glad you were not hurt though (apart from pride :) ) and here's hoping you're back on the road with a pristine looking ride real soon.

Was glad to hear that your laydown wasn't unrideable, and you came away with no permanent injuries (except maybe your pride). We were in the group behind you, and actually saw you going back right before we hit the same area where you had your problem. Couldn't figure out why you would have turned around, and was waiting to come across a road closure up ahead...

I was extremely amazed that after going down 3 times in 100 yards in Colorado, that my bike ran like a Swiss clock for another 4K miles to get me to Reno and home again. I think Bluebullet may be gearing up for some painting activities... if you haven't talked to him already, you might want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was tempted to attempt to remove the C strips on Frank during our Mini-Dog Saturday, but recalled that I had resolved to bring him home with no more damage than he had arrived with. It was hard not to try and work those roads harder than I did, but as I was driving home, I was thinking that I was glad the last pic of me in peoples minds wouldn't be of a pole dance ;)

Edit:which doesn't work cuz the titty show wasn't till Sat nite, but you get the idea.

Worldbound4now

Glad your Ok, try Universty Mortors in Fargo Nd for your parts best prices you'll find anywhere.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Thanks guys. I'll definitely give Gary a call when it comes time to order new plastic. I did find a new stator cover and gasket for $70... can't complain about that. Ordered from Tracy's Motorcycle Parts and Accessories. I may have to do a bit of the price game and call both with their competitor's prices to see if they can budge a bit more.

TTYL

I got some pics:

Looking up the curve

IMG_2520.jpg

Where the bike sat

IMG_2519.jpg

A couple shots from the OV's looking down at the curve from the other direction

DSC05854.jpg

DSC05855.jpg

Checking out the damage

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

And the ride back

IMG_2573.jpg

imho, i still feel guilty bout worldbounds down... on a previous corner, he went wide to avoid running into me as i was timid of some of those 'technical' twisties... same for the he was down on...

i know we are supposed to ride our own ride, and i was riding mine, tho, i feel kinda responsible...

also, i have a strator cover and gasket in my garage... plus, i have left and right 05 lids in my garage...

dana,

still on the road, 6000 miles, 1400 more to go...

Wow.... this single photo here just might be the one that best sums up the awesome riding to be had at WFO-5!

DSC05854.jpg

The curves, the majestic scenery, the massive elevation changes.... WFO-5 Rides had it all! It will be tough to beat this for next year's event, but we'll do our best....

Those that met me may find this funny, but I think it was my umbrella that saved my ass!

Let the farkling begin.... found carbon fiber FZ1 mirrors to replace the heavily abraded stock mirrors.... hope I don't catch too many cars when lane splitting.

Also a good time to note.... look at my left side. Nare a scuff on my stitch. Worth every penny.

imho, i still feel guilty bout worldbounds down... on a previous corner, he went wide to avoid running into me as i was timid of some of those 'technical' twisties... same for the he was down on...
i know we are supposed to ride our own ride, and i was riding mine, tho, i feel kinda responsible...
Bullshit, you are not responsible for the rider behind nearly running into you! That responsibility rests squarely on the person BEHIND YOU. If someone is running wide on that pass to avoid you, then their riding too damn close and too aggressive. You should count yourself lucky that you were not involved. :angry2:

If I was on that ride and someome did that to me, words would have been exchanged, you can count on it.

WBFN - I feel bad for you that you went down, but running wide at turns behind a rider on Hwy108 to avoid hitting the guy in front, shows little experience in your riding skills.

WBFN - I feel bad for you that you went down, but running wide at turns behind a rider on Hwy108 to avoid hitting the guy in front, shows little experience in your riding skills.

He did openly say that he is from a flat area and has little experiance in twistys. This is a good lesson for all, This was posted as a technical ride and those who aren't used to this type of riding needed to be carefull. It is was too easy to get in over your head in these places.

He did openly say that he is from a flat area and has little experiance in twistys. This is a good lesson for all, This was posted as a technical ride and those who aren't used to this type of riding needed to be carefull. It is was too easy to get in over your head in these places.
+1. On the Mini-Dog, rider following me (? Indiana) wanted to swap positions as he found himself running up my ass on corner entries. No prob, found myself then catching him on exits. We were each as fast as the other, just different corner methodology. As was mentioned in the Group Ride thread, a little communication and adjustment goes a long way toward making it a pleasurable experience for all, especially when the group is composed of individuals relatively unused to each others experience level/riding style IMHO.