Rider down and he owes a thank you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the farkling begin.... found carbon fiber FZ1 mirrors to replace the heavily abraded stock mirrors.... hope I don't catch too many cars when lane splitting.
I find the FZ1 mirrors much wider obviously but they fold in with a quick two finger pull (try that with a pair of stock mirrors) when the traffic gets tight I just pull in my left mirror and feel half as wide

imho, i still feel guilty bout worldbounds down... on a previous corner, he went wide to avoid running into me as i was timid of some of those 'technical' twisties... same for the he was down on...

i know we are supposed to ride our own ride, and i was riding mine, tho, i feel kinda responsible...
Bullshit, you are not responsible for the rider behind nearly running into you! That responsibility rests squarely on the person BEHIND YOU. If someone is running wide on that pass to avoid you, then their riding too damn close and too aggressive. You should count yourself lucky that you were not involved. :angry2:

If I was on that ride and someome did that to me, words would have been exchanged, you can count on it.

WBFN - I feel bad for you that you went down, but running wide at turns behind a rider on Hwy108 to avoid hitting the guy in front, shows little experience in your riding skills.

Skyway, I agree with you. I have personally tried to convince wpbfjr that he was not at fault in any way on this incident. If I did feel he was at fault, it would have ended up in my original post. It is a concern that I wish he could brush off of his back. With a slower speed, a different line, and more experience I would have made that corner. I was at fault.

My yellow line crossover in the prior corner was after entering the corner too hot. It was the first time in several years that this has occured. Touched the right peg and my boot down pretty hard on that one. Hopefully it was the last time. On that curve, the sight line was clear through the corner followed by a clearly visible straightaway. It was immediately followed by me slowing down a bit as I shook my head in disgust with my own performance. I was looking well beyond WPBFJR through the curve. Still never an excuse for crossing the line other than ignorance and inexperience. I'll be the first to admit that I pushed things too far on Hwy108. Lesson learned with public humiliation.

In retrospect, had I been going slower into the corner I would have avoided this incident. With the given conditions and my level of experience, the FJR was able to outperform my ability levels. Somehow the five people in front of me in this group(led by weekender) made it through this curve just fine
I was riding the pace of the group instead of riding my own ride... Lesson learned the hard way. :eek:hno-smiley:

I find the FZ1 mirrors much wider obviously but they fold in with a quick two finger pull (try that with a pair of stock mirrors) when the traffic gets tight I just pull in my left mirror and feel half as wide

Good to know. Thanks Pawtracks!

Lesson learned with public humiliation.
That is the worst part, isn't it? :p :p :p :p
I think the public humiliation just serves to drive the lesson further home. I've done a couple of things that I could have kept to myself, but the sharing may help someone else not make the same mistake, so it's worth some shame. Much unlike Rad's new set of tires :derisive: "Well, you see, I won them in a contest".

Worldbound4now, glad to hear your returned trip went without a hitch. These bikes are quite strong. Happy to see that Tracy's could work out for you. I have used them considerably for oem parts. Good people to work with. (1-800-860-0686) See you in Colorado. Edwin Armstrong

Ok, Gary McCoy rocks. Tracy's Motorcycle Acc. had extremely close prices, but Gary is shipping everything I need (sans side case cover) for $20. Beats the best online price by $140. All parts are being shipped for less than my $500 ins. deduct. and I'm grinning from ear to ear. Should have everything in a couple of weeks and have the FJR back down the road eating up more miles.

Ok, Gary McCoy rocks. Tracy's Motorcycle Acc. had extremely close prices, but Gary is shipping everything I need (sans side case cover) for $20. Beats the best online price by $140. All parts are being shipped for less than my $500 ins. deduct. and I'm grinning from ear to ear. Should have everything in a couple of weeks and have the FJR back down the road eating up more miles.
Great news!

+10 on Gary :)

Glad you are not to broke after the repair. Now with the extra money ( just a suggestion )

you may want to enroll in a motorcycle class to help you better navigate all the various road conditions that we run into when ridding in unfamiliar terrain. Hopefully this lesson will be well received and learned.

good luck world bound --------- your ride leader that day weekend rider :D

Good to hear your body was not damaged, and your ego & FJR are on the mend & lesson learned. There was a corner on one ride at WFO 4 I could not believe. The corner went real tight extreamly uphill right when the road had been moderate. I breaked then trail braked and downed to second. Got through it Ok but had never seen such an unexpected road change. I was following another rider at 04, and he was completely on the wrong side of the road having blown the bad off camber uphill corner. I had to wait to see if he could make the corner before commiting as a midcorner collision would be the result if he hadn't previously crashed. :dribble:

Goint to WFO 5 I was on new pavement fairly leaned over and unexpectedly came to a lookout point with buco cars 90' to the road. I rolled off the gas leaned over and loading the front almost washed out with the low traction pavement. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always amazed at how extensively people on this board can analyze a crash.
Based on observations (over the years) that's an attempt to evaluate possibilities and learn from others so they don't make the same mistakes.

IMO there's no malice and the effort is well-spent.

I'm always amazed at how extensively people on this board can analyze a crash.
Based on observations (over the years) that's an attempt to evaluate possibilities and learn from others so they don't make the same mistakes.

IMO there's no malice and the effort is well-spent.
I took the comment as a compliment that people can figure out exactly what they did, both right and wrong, in that split second leading up to the crash.

As opposed to "I was riding along and suddenly, without warning, my ass was on the road". :blink:

Yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

All parts have arrived with the exception of the left side case. I'll deal with that later. Hopefully have everything up and running today or tomorrow.

worldbound4now: questions & observation.

1.) What was your approximate speed when the lowside occured?

2.) Did the frame slider mount bend? Did it do its job?

I was commuting between Castaic and Palmdale, CA every day last winter/spring, and I was experimenting with tire pressure combinations with almost new Road Pilots of near equal milage. Riding primarily on San Francisquito Canyon and adjacent canyons, the temperatures were between 50F-70F, dry conditions, slightly bumpy roads, tires well warmed up. Suspension settings soft, all adjustments stock from dealer, IMO with a little too much sag. Keep in mind I was not accelerating hard but trying to keep constant speed through all parts of the corner, and only apexing the corners lightly, keeping them round, one cheek on the seat leaning.

When the rear was on the soft side between 37-29 PSI, and the front was over 40 PSI I would get that skipping/chattering sensation, and the front end would walk away. I would just *LIGHTLY* touch the rear brake and cut my speed, as cutting the throttle upsets the drive train and produces a more uneven deacceleration which would adversely affect my line. It felt like using the rear brake *LIGHTLY* would 'suck' the front back in.

When I run both the front & rear a little harder 39-41, the rear seems starts slipping before the front, effectively limiting the cornering speed to below the front's skipping speed.

Reversing the inflations to 37-39 front, 39-41 rear seemed to feel the best, although the front feels slightly 'mushy' during the initial roll in. Thats the tradeoff for better traction from the front I guess. I feel more comfortable when a bike breaks loose rear first.

Below 37-39 I just don't like the feel in corners. YMMV.

(Want to get more comfortable with breaking loose?? GET A DIRTBIKE, and ride in MUD & SAND! When I come down a steep sandy hill it feels like I'm SKING! :yahoo: )

MJD

With a few hours of work my trusty steed is back on the road again.

normal_140_4013.jpg

normal_140_4025.jpg

normal_140_4017.jpg

Note the crack in the stator cover near the 0630 position. I believe this was the primary point of impact. No frame sliders would have helped prevent this. The shoulder was a few inches lower than the road surface. I dropped off the edge at a heavy lean and caught the stator cover and left side case before going all the way down onto the left side front end tupperware.

normal_140_4037.jpg

Check out my website for more pictures. It's great to be riding again!

Now's the opportunity to follow another FJR rider's lead and go with the red paint job. You might have noticed his bike, which he said followed an accident. Apparently used the factory red paint from Yamaha.
If I suggest this to my wife, I'll be allowed to do it... only if I repaint the bike a hot pink. She loves me in a mean kinda way.
Hey now! It sounds like your wife and I could be sisters! Hot pink is my favorite color! The problem is that you can't find paint in a shade that doesn't remind you of Barbie or bubble gum (in my opinion)... otherwise, I'd have Andrew paint our FJR that color! :lol: Honestly though, I think our '05 is a lovely blue. Wouldn't change her for the world!

Glad to know that you made it out of a bad situation and lived to tell about it and as I told Rogue on the morning we left for home after WFO, I don't think there are kinder people around than FJR owners (this could transfer to motorcyclists in general, but I am going by those I have met).

Sherri

WB4Now - great pix of the repair project. Learned alot about plastic installation from those pix.. sorry it happened to you but looks like you and the fjr are smiling again.. :D