RIder keeps dropping their bike.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSrider

Reaction score
What do you do or tell someone who has the inability to keep their bike in an upright orientation. As long as they are under way everything is fine but when forward motion stops that is when there is a problem. It is a relatively new rider and the bike is not heavy, an EX650 Kawi.I know it's a balance thing but how do you teach that to someone?

You tell them to put their feet down?

I guess I'm not understanding the question. Are they dropping the bike when they slow down? Or when they stop?

Either way, if they've slowed down enough to lose the gyroscopic effect of the wheels turning, they need to stick a foot or feet down to keep from falling over.

This seems too simple, that's why I'm not sure I'm following the original question 100%. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass (for a change) but are they expecting to stay upright without putting feet down???

Last edited by a moderator:
my guess would be they are not coming to a complete stop before putting their feet down and are basically tripping and falling?

features_trainingwheels_1120.jpg

Try this!! or have them take the MSF course

Tell them to look up, not at the front wheel when coming to a stop. Ease up on the front brake (some people naturally turn their wheel + front brake = dive for the ground) when just about stopped.

Has this person ridden a bicycle before? It would be cheaper to practice with pedal power for a while instead of continually trashing his or her mc.

I can't help thinking that if someone can't figure out how to keep the bike upright when coming to a stop then maybe motorcycling isn't his/her sport. I don't mean that as a put down, there are many, many things that I can't do. Just saying that "a man's got to know his limitations."

All the above posts have good suggestions. I have my students focus farther and higher down range which normally helps, but unfortunately with some people, even MSF can't help them. There are people who just aren't cut out for riding motorcycles and to continue to pursue it for the wrong reasons (buddies or spouse pushing them) and not because they want to often leads to problems down the road. If they aren't committed enough to the sport and really WANT to do it, then it might be time to take up something a bit less painful when they fail.

Does the bike fit the rider? I see a lot of people on their tip toes when stopped. This might be ok for an experienced rider but it's not good for a new rider. I can stand flat footed with my FJR with a Russell seat in the upper position and I still have oh shit moments from time to time when stopped. If I was shorter I know for sure that the bike would have gone rubber side horizontal.

Is this a "come to stop using only the front brake with the feet off the pegs" scenario? Too much front brake that compresses the fork then pops up when stopped and the slightly turned wheel causes a lean and it falls over? Then they need a lesson in releasing the front brake smoothly and coming to a stop using the rear brake.

Or BRC + ERC.

I guess they are just having a problem with balance when stopped/stopping. They have taked the MSF course ad are not being pushed into it but doing it because they love it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, maybe they just need to stick with a smaller bike for now.

Have them keep their head up when stopping, looking forward. Don't look down, left or right until completely stopped.

And just because it sounds cool:

"Please keep your arms and legs in the vehicle until this ride has come to a complete stop..."

"Please keep your arms and legs in the vehicle until this ride has come to a complete stop..."
:lol: That's what I tell my patients who grip the sides of the stretcher when there's no aide and [SIZE=10pt]I[/SIZE] have to push it. Good potential to scrape their knuckles on the doorframes :blink:

Edit: Sorry, Kev! that doesn't help YOU! :p

Here's a balance drill ya can show him Have him stand with his feet together & you give him a shove on his shoulders (see how easy he lose's balance) Then have him take a wide stance (shoulder wide) with toes pointed slightly out & shove him again. He just needs to take a wider stance with toes slightly pointed out when he comes to a stop! (or that paticular bike ain't fer him)

I would suggest spending some time in a parking lot doing slow manuvers and stops. Go work the weakness.

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far.

Make sure that the bike is a good fit for the rider. Experienced riders can handle a taller bike but a rookie needs a solid footing, since less than perfect stops do happen.

Practicing on a bicycle is a low cost alternative to breaking an expensive motorcycle.

Head and eyes up, smooth braking and feet on the pegs until the last moment, is always good advice.

Perhaps retake the MSF course as a refresher? Build some solid skills on their little bikes without the pressure of having to pass an evaluation at the end.

I would suggest the person find a large open lot and work specifically on starting and stopping smoothly, until he or she has confidence in their low speed maneuvering skills. My wife had problems with tipping over during u-turns and similar. She ended up adding a sidecar to her Harley, and absolutely loves it.

They're not treating it like a bicycle, are they? Some folkes with really high bike seats will have to lean when they stop to put a foot down, may not even be realizing it.

Bit different with 650# motosickle

Then there's the "don't stop while turning" rule.

Otherwise, as has been said, eyes up, etc. Motorcyclists cannot watch their own bike while riding it. Not even in the windows they ride by. Bad things happen.

They're not treating it like a bicycle, are they? Some folkes with really high bike seats will have to lean when they stop to put a foot down, may not even be realizing it.
Bit different with 650# motosickle

Then there's the "don't stop while turning" rule.

Otherwise, as has been said, eyes up, etc. Motorcyclists cannot watch their own bike while riding it. Not even in the windows they ride by. Bad things happen.
I'd be willing to bet that it's a lady, and that she's looking down to see where to put her feet.

And to see where the bike is when it's stopped.

Guys generally have a "charge ahead" attitude, but ladies have gotten used to picking up the kid's toys and the dirty socks. And tripping and falling hurt. So they look down.

I'd also bet they're having problems with turns and high speeds.

Some people just can't figure out that by the time they look down to see where they are, they've already gone past where they were.

Oh, one more thing... if they're not using the front and rear brakes together... just or mostly the rear, the bike won't stop where they think it should, they'll panic and grab the front, and by default, tweak the front wheel a bit... and go down.

LOOK UP. repeat. forever.

It's actually hard for some people to do. One thing to check is to ride while they drive a cage. I used to ask my driver's ed students how many vehicles were ahead of them. Got some interesting answers, but it made a point.

Look up, chin up. Not just eyes up... you can keep you head down and think your eyes are up. Not even close. Chin up works better.

Hope something someone suggested helps.

mary