Riding Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
Any opinions on wearing riding pants and what their effectiveness may or may not be in a crash? I have Olympia riding pants, with some soft pads in the hip and knee area, just curious how much they'd actually help in a slide compared to a pair of jeans. It's getting into summer and riding into the upper 90's, low 100's will get here quick, hard to get into putting on the riding pants when I've got on a jacket, gloves and boots already.

Drew,

I broke down and bought the AirGlide pants and jacket for summer. The AST/Ranger/Recon stuff is great, but simply too hot to ride summer months and enjoy riding.

The Air Glide pants let more air thru than jeans. I actually feel heat on my shins ( above the boot to the knee), heat that I do not notice in jeans.

I am guilty of commuting in less than ATGATT. I commute to work in street pants, with all the other gear on.

This blogger collected a large number of photos and stories. Good collection:

https://dontai.com/wp/2010/06/03/does-motorcycle-mesh-gear-melt-in-a-crash/comment-page-1/

His summary at the bottom of the page reads as follows:

Mesh looks weak but its purpose is to keep the armour in place for the initial impact and while sliding. The mesh will abrade but often will not abrade right through to the inner jacket. Each crash is different and forces are subsequently different. It is the combination of mesh and armour that makes mesh gear effective. Overall there are very few cases where mesh has melted through to the rider’s skin.

While mesh offers less protection than competition racing leather, for the average rider on the street it is significantly better than no gear or jean material. Mesh will substantially reduce or eliminate road rash.

The best gear is the gear you wear. Whatever you choose, wear it for every ride.

This is one area I have yet to delve in to. I wear ATGATT, except pants. When commuting to work, its dockers. On my days off, its jeans. Honestly I need to spend some time and read more (over the pants pants or just pants) not to mention the myriad of choices. Throw in that Im in Phoenix and need hot weather gear, and ugh. Soooo much info.

" Management " just bought me some BOHN Body Armor for under my jeans. Tried them today and found the ensemble somewhat cooler than my regular textile motorcycle pants. As such, for those quick rides on hot days around town, I will now appear to be in jeans alone, but only the curious will know for sure!

.....and HRZ riding w/o pants....shudder.... :eek:

Having worked as an EMS Helo pilot for 20 years in AZ and CA, I've seen my share of downed riders and various types/combination of gear. Riding gear decisions are actually very easy with one underlying question to answer.... does it protect me during and after a get off? An easy way to answer the latter part of that question is go out to an asphalt parking lot at 2-3pm on a 100 + degree day, lay down in the sun, face up for 30 minutes (somewhat of an average amount of time it takes for EMS to respond, summon and land a Helo) and see if you end up with burns. If you do, your gear isn't protective enough. Couple in a few tumbles along the way (BTDT) and you'll easily convince yourself that jeans alone, are not enough. It's been said here many times before, yeah, it's hot, but skin grafts hurt more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott,

I've got the Olympia Airglide II jacket and pants also, have you seen any type of armor upgrades on the pants? The soft pads I have currently just don't seem like they would be all that effective.

Thanks for the link on the gear

I also bought the Cortech GX Air Series II jacket which I'm wearing in warmer weather, it's cooler than the Olympia. I don't like the cuffs as well as the Olympia, doesn't seem to be as secure when the velcro is closed.

Jeans offer no protection in a slide. Might as well be naked.

I wear Tour Master Venture Air overpants over regular street pants, whether jeans on a weekend or khakis going to work. I have crashe in them, twice, and my only complaint is the wimpy hip pad, rather than real armor in the hip. That hurt, both times. Real knee armor, and no knee injury or even bruising. No skin loss, and pants were still usable both times.

The Venture Air pants are mesh and breathe awesomely, necessary for the Florida heat and humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh pants as well as jacket. Is approved for racing and is much cooler than racing leather. Is also stronger than leather for tears.

This is one area I have yet to delve in to. I wear ATGATTMOTGATT, ....Honestly I need to spend some time and read more ...Soooo much info.

I have two, potentially catastrophic, words for you: necrotizing fasciitis

Look at the part under Prevention and imagine how much skin you'd have to "clean thoroughly" in a get-off when you're wearing dockers or jeans.

And for the rest of you who wear jacket, gloves and helmets but not boots? .....I'll remind you of my patient from almost 3 years ago: a military groom riding to meet his bride who was wearing "everything except boots" (MOTGATT) - he was wearing his dress shoes. He had a bad compound fracture to his foot and after surgery to attemtp to save the foot, he ended up losing his leg at the knee. (he DID get married the following year :) )

So, guys and gals....ATGATT. Just sayin'

Another convert to Motoport kevlar gear. Been using mine for over four seasons and other than the HiViz fading, still is good as new.

With gear you do get what you pay for...I figure a $1000+ in gear is a lot less painful than the alternative as MEM points out.

--G

I always wear protective gear no matter how hot it gets. Usually it's Joe Rocket Ballistic pants. They are great in the winter but hot as hell in the summer. I sweated for 5 summers in them. I finally broke down and bought AGVSports Solare vented pants from Revzilla a few weeks ago. These pants are great. Padding in the hips, lower back, knees and shins, but the air flows through the rest of them. I feel safe and finally cool. I should have bought a pair long ago and would recommend them.

One word of advice, these pants run small. I'm a 34/34 and had to go with the extra large but they fit perfectly with shorts or your favorite drawers underneath.

Absolutely, when I have the money, I will be investing in a pair of Motoport air mesh pants. I feel that they are the "ultimate" in mesh pants. They make yer hind parts look good, too!

For now, I will be sticking with my regular ol' Olympia stuff. I'm "ALWAYS" ATGATT! No matter how hot it is, I'm always wearing all the gear.

I've crash tested gear & firmly believe in it.

I went down at 55mph wearing mesh Joe Rocket pants (and a textile Joe Rocket jacket) and escaped with no road rash at all. I know from when I was a kid that the road will wear through a pair of jeans and skin your knees up pretty bad at about 5mph.

I did have a broken leg from where the other vehicle initially collided with me and plenty of bruising and aching from what I can only guess was quite a bit of tumbling (I was unconscious), but I bet what I went through was nothing compared to losing skin. I'm pretty sure the armor and various areas of padding saved me from a lot more pain also. Click the crash club icon in my signature for more details.