riding the blue ridge parkway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epc71

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes, including stops along the way, to ride from the Deals Gap area out to Asheville, NC?

Does anyone know how long it takes, including stops along the way, to ride from the Deals Gap area out to Asheville, NC?
If my memory serves me correct, not counting an hour or two at the Wheels of Tyme Museum, the trip took the better part of 5 hours. If going through Dollywoodville (Pigeon Forge), allow extra time if you hit it during rush hour.

I did this exact route last June. I got on the Parkway at Route 441 and got off in Asheville on I-26 North to Johnson City. I was alone so I didn't stop much at all. It was foggy, damp and chilly so no reason to stop because you couldn't see anything. It was not a pleasurable ride at all. But, to answer your question, if I remember correctly, BRP portion of my ride was right at 3 hours.

Smoke

Last edited by a moderator:

Teerex51 and I rode from Fontana (12 mi from the Gap) to the village of Greenbrier (near the Asheville BRP entry) in about 1+30 including a few minutes to chat with one of NC's finest :rolleyes: .

It's not a bad ride ... mostly slab until you get to the BRP.

JW

Kinda see 2 questions here -- BRP & Asheville? From Wheels of Time to the southern end of the BRP (nr Cherokee) abt 50 mi -- add another 60 mi, or so, to Asheville (by highways); add another 100 mi, or so, from Cherokee to nr Asheville by BRP (but, it's a great ride). Now, if you 'include stops' and talk about 'how long', instead of miles -- who knows....? :blink: :D

If you elect to spend time on the BRP, watch your speed....most of it is posted at 45mph, some at 35 mph. A speeding ticket along the Parkway is a federal ticket and could well cost you $500. My buddy got a " friendly " judge and only got charged $350. In good weather, it's a fabulous ride...in the cold and fog you are better off to head to the low country. My buddy, incidentally, was going 53 in a 45 zone.

If you elect to spend time on the BRP, watch your speed....most of it is posted at 45mph, some at 35 mph. A speeding ticket along the Parkway is a federal ticket and could well cost you $500. My buddy got a " friendly " judge and only got charged $350. In good weather, it's a fabulous ride...in the cold and fog you are better off to head to the low country. My buddy, incidentally, was going 53 in a 45 zone.
53! Holy crap! I've always figured that I was speeding respectfully at 55. I'm gonna' have to watch myself more carefully.

BM speaks the truth about it being a fabulous ride in good weather. Been caught in fog twice on the BRP. Not a fun experience. Head for the lowlands.

BM speaks the truth about it being a fabulous ride in good weather. Been caught in fog twice on the BRP. Not a fun experience. Head for the lowlands.
Even with detours and significant amounts of rain, we rode that in what, about 3 hours?

epc: you'll have to let me know if you're in Asheville. I live just an hour north in TN, and some of my favorite (and some of the area's best) roads are between here and there.

Great....now slappy's out to scare the crap out of the "newbies".....have mercy there slap.... :lol: ....

Like I said...have mercy there slappy....I know you can ride most of it with your eyes closed....but it tends to make others nervous.... :mega_shok: ....

At posted limits it computes to 3:22.

BRP is 45, and they mean 45, most all the way. Even with a good RD I hesitate to exceed there.

Be sure to take a good map and don't ever count on being able to stick to the BRP. Rock slides, pavement washes, maintenance and weather can quickly alter your plan. You have to be able to intelligently drop altitude and use alternate routes.

Even with detours and significant amounts of rain, we rode that in what, about 3 hours?
Oops, I forgot about that Travis... so actually, I've ridden the BRP 3 times in bad weather. Yeah, it was something like 3ish hours.

luvtoride....do you remember whether Travis was riding with his eyes open or closed.... :lol: ....

Thanks for the info guys, as usual, I can always find an answer here.

slappy, I've been accused of being crazy a few times, does that qualify?

I plan on making a trip out that way in mid-May, thanks for the offer, I may

take you up on that.

...BRP is 45, and they mean 45, most all the way. Even with a good RD I hesitate to exceed there.

VMax_03, Mike-H and Brazos Parker

Are y'all telling me we were really doing 45 on our merry way to Little Switzerland? :rolleyes:

Stef

Ya Stef....only 45....that's all :derisive: ....we never exceeded it once :lol: ....on the way to Little Switzerland....