Roadcrafter Crotch Room

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

Reaction score
Hi folks,

6'0 218lbs 32" inseam 36-38" waist

I just purchased an R3 for commuting and touring after getting sized in Duluth. I was sized as a 44R with alterations (back ellipse and forward articulated arms).

It fits perfectly except that if i lift my elbows past parallel, the crotch tightens where my arms wont go any higher ( at that point the shoulder pads get in the way too). On the bike it all feels fine minus a little binding behind the knee but that was on my street triple with a bit tighter knee angle.

how does your roadcrafter fit?

thanks!

Take it back to them and they should be able to put a gusset in to correct that. They are pretty good about making sure their customers are happy.

You just reminded me of that old golf tip for keeping your head down during your swing. Imagining a rope tied tight between your head and Johnson.
biggrin.png

My Roadcrafter is similar in that it's difficult to raise my arms up while seated before the shoulders limit the movement although I probably can go further than you've described. No pull in the crotch though and I also don't have the forward arms. One tip I've heard is to pull the suit up, old man style, before getting on the seat both to give you more play up top and to prevent the suit seat from bunching under you butt and causing hot spots.

All that said, I think Intech has it right, especially if you've just paid for a custom suit. Their customer service has a nice reputation.

You describe how my new R3 light fits pretty close. I can get my arms a little past parallel, but with major binding. I too got the back ellipse. There is nothing you can do about the crotch binding. Believe me I tried. I tried a couple different size suits before custom ordering mine. I wanted more crotch room too. That's the one thing they can't alter. The only way to get more crotch room is to go to a bigger size suit. I ended up getting a 42L. If I went to a 44R I was swimming in it and would have had to shorten the arms and legs adding more expense. Also with the larger size I noticed more of the shoulder pads binding when I raised my arms since the shoulders were too big. I also only noticed a very small amount of additional crotch room. BTW, I am 5'11", 195 lb, 32" inseam, and 36"? waist. I also got the 1" side gussets as a stock 42L showed a little too much belly.

So you are stuck with what you got. That being said, if it fit fine on the Triumph, it should be fine on the FJR. And I experience no knee binding. At least not now after a couple months of regular use.

I am a cheap bastard and even though I wanted one for years, I couldn't bring myself to pay the $$$$$. Wish I hadn't waited - I love my R3 light!!!

Thanks guys.

I never had a 1pc so I was unsure what it is supposed to feel like. The rep at Duluth said that you want it a bit more snug so that's what I went with.

I found that with my carhart jeans it's a bit tight, but with my light columbia hiking pants the fit is better since my junk can move over without much trouble.

One of the reasons I went with a 2-piece Classic in late '14. I tried on a few different size one piece suits and couldn't get comfortable with the crotch room. I was either short / tight in the crotch or swimming in the suit. I also have broad shoulders, so I need a larger jacket and then waist is bigger than needed. FWIW I'm 5'9"+ and 190 - 200 lbs with long torso and 30" inseam.

Ended up with a 46R, no custom modifications although the length could have been an inch shorter from crotch to knee to be perfect. Overall I'm very pleased with the 'stich and use it on all but the hottest rides. On those, I switch to stretch CyclePort.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Crotch room? I guess I don't have to worry about that. Plenty of room down there. Lol. I do know, that I can still pull my arms mostly above my head, pull my hair back in a pony tail, do some jumping jacks, and make a complete fool of myself while fully geared in my R-3.

Now, with heated liners on under, and the suit fully zipped, it becomes a bit more difficult to pick up anything off the ground. Still looking for the graceful way to bend over....

I've got an R-3 one-piece and have no croctal issues -- BUT, it was not custom-sized for me. I bought it from their clearance listing, as it was the size their chart said would fit and the color selection I wanted. Without the back ellipse, they made have left the front side a bit long ... ?

It fits very well (nice and snug with a thick sweatshirt or fleece) but is rather large in the butt. I don't care because it keeps me warm and dry no matter what's happening outside that Gore-Tex.

Typically, I don't wear pants underneath. Running tights or fleece pants make it easy to go to the bathroom and provide adequate insulation without a lot of bulk. Will try the "Marty Method" of boxers only once summertime arrives in the Southland.

FJRfarrier posted: Still looking for the graceful way to bend over....
I no longer try bending over. I go to one knee, channeling Prince Charming.

Thanks for the replies. I tried the suit with the FJR and found that for 1 hour in the saddle, I had no problems. I might need to pull up the suit beofre I saddle up, so I can reach the ground a bit easier.

I think I'll still get a mesh setup for around the town, but I the R3 should be fine for anything else.

Currently have an R3, but prior to that wore a Roadcrafter for 11 years, so I'm used to the occasional contortions one goes through in a one piece. Twice a day bike commuting, I have to reach up to pull my garage door down (small, manual door) and don't have too much trouble, though I have to basically tilt to one side on one foot to reach the bottom edge of the door when it's open (the suit prevents a full stretch). On the bike...no problems whatsoever. No nether regions issues in the R3 (except when stretching for the garage door), but that's what got me into the R3 from my old Roadcrafter as it was binding (it shrank over the 11 years.
whistle.gif
).

Briefly did the Darien jacket and AD1 pants thing between the one piecers to see how the other half lives; prefer the one piece.

I had the same issue on my 46R Custom (longer legs). I had exactly the same issues as you. The crotch issues was something I thought I could live with but after a year, it was really annoying me. I went to a 48L and no more crotch issues and more room for layering (although the extra width and length makes it much less stylish off the bike). I'm 6'3", 46" chest, long legs.

Aerostich can change lots of things but the body is pretty much a given. You have to start with the right length. Better to sell the suit you have and get the right one rather than blow lots of money going back and forth with Aerostich. Sounds like you need a 44L. I don't think that you need the gusset and the rotated arms for an FJR.

In my case, I sold my old suit and bought a new (used) one for the same price. I went from a two year old suit to a 5 year old suit but it fits much better. I always recommend that new users buy a used 'stich and wear it for a year before buying a new one.

Crotch room? It's threads like this that make me miss Beemerdons. You KNOW he'd be chiming in on this one, ese.
I can only imagine the comments. Words like shillelagh, Irish horse, human tripod, and the token super hot pic of Zeta-Jones, Lucy Lui, and my most recent fav, Jen Aniston would have been nearly instantaneous from Papa Chuy.

Somehow stuff he said was not offensive that clearly was over the line.............just another example how he is a hero to some/all of us. Maybe it was because he was just so damn funny!! Maybe it was because he was such a genuine good guy.........prob those two and more.

RIP

I had the same issue on my 46R Custom (longer legs). I had exactly the same issues as you. The crotch issues was something I thought I could live with but after a year, it was really annoying me. I went to a 48L and no more crotch issues and more room for layering (although the extra width and length makes it much less stylish off the bike). I'm 6'3", 46" chest, long legs.
Aerostich can change lots of things but the body is pretty much a given. You have to start with the right length. Better to sell the suit you have and get the right one rather than blow lots of money going back and forth with Aerostich. Sounds like you need a 44L. I don't think that you need the gusset and the rotated arms for an FJR.

In my case, I sold my old suit and bought a new (used) one for the same price. I went from a two year old suit to a 5 year old suit but it fits much better. I always recommend that new users buy a used 'stich and wear it for a year before buying a new one.
Arms going much higher than about 15-20 degrees past parallel is impossible since at that point the suit cannot physically go any higher due to shoulderpads jamming into my neck and the crotch running into the absolute end of movement, about at the same time; but aside from that, and the fact that it binds in the back when going to touch my toes (which I can't do anyways), the suit works well under normal circumstances. Doesn't bind on the bike anywhere except behind the knees (and I can get that altered), and the torso room is actually okay (for an insulating layer, a teeshirt, and the competition back protector).

I took it on a trip for about an hour on the FJR and it was fine, the butt-sweat thing is real: extra monkey-butt. The torso billowed at speed and I had a cool evaporative layer to keep my upper body cool. In traffic the stich is gonna be a chore. On my Triumph, it is the same: great on the bike, okay off the bike.

The funny thing is that I went to Aerostich and had them size me at the factory, and they said that this is how it was supposed to fit (snug around the crotch when lifting your arms past parallel), the girl that sized me was doing it for 10 years so i took her word for it. I figure that I don't wear the suit off the bike much anyway (a big point of the stich is the on/off thing right?) but if I gain some weight, this suit is not gonna be as roomy anymore. So in a way this helps me stay at a healthy weight (I need to drop another 10-15 lbs anyway).

I would say that I am about 90% satisfied with the suit, but for the money it should have been spot-on.