Rode my friend's C14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pony,
Might want to get the mpg facts checked on the C14 again. My good friend from the C14 forum gets worse mileage with his C14 even comparing 6th to our 5th. His bike is highly tuned as is mine. He is not very happy with the bikes poor range..For him, usually around 170 miles.

I agree that the C14 is a nice ride. The lack of underseat area is pretty crappy.

WW
Mileage was calculated by us being side by side at the pump and seeing each other's fuel purchases. Mileage ridden divided by gallons pumped. At every gas station, he pumped less gas than I did. Granted, I weigh a solid 100 lbs more than him, and my bike was fully loaded, but it was a huge difference.

All you guys getting upper 40's etc and even into the 50's, all I can say is, what did you do to get that? Or, am I just a fat bastard with webbed arms and legs that causes the coefficient of friction with the air to be dramatically increased comparatively?
I consistently get 32 MPG on my '05 to the point I'm skeptical about claims of 40's....

I consistently get 32 MPG on my '05 to the point I'm skeptical about claims of 40's....
There's something wrong with your FJR. I have to really TRY to get less than 39 mpg. And that's on my PCIII FJR. The stock 04 I have gets high 40s and into the low 50s. It has seen a few 300+ mile tanks.

Consistantly got/get low to mid 40's on both the 05 & 07. Usually get the best mileage when I have a passenger (more conservative riding I suppose). Most of my riding is rural rather that suburban or urban.

Good comparison reports from both you and your friend nsrrider. Agree, there will be benefits from both bikes and specific likes and dislikes based on the rider. The low fuel economy on your bike Ponyfool could be because of the higher speeds and no PCIII. I don't run a PCIII on mine yet, and have found that the only time I got 34 was when I underfilled at a gas station because I was in a hurry.

I am anal in the fact that I keep a mileage log in Excel that gives me running and average totals for everything, including miles traveled. I run consistantly below 40 MPG and have seen higher on long trips through the mountains. Best so far has been 49 MPG and that was due to slow speeds cruising with a bunch of Harley Riders on a trip to Idylwild.

We swapped bikes for a stretch and I have a few observations I'd like to share.
Additionally, we stayed neck and neck during our entire ride, passing at the same time, cruising at the same time, and twisties at comparable speeds as well, yet when we went to fill up our tanks, he consistently needed 1/2 to a full gallon less gas than I did. That may not seem like much, but here's how it broke down: Approximately 175 miles between tanks. He would require only 4.166 gallons, roughly 42mpg average. I would require 5.1 gallons, or roughly 34mpg. That difference alone makes the range of the smaller tanked C14 roughly equal the range of the larger tanked FJR.
Scott,

My worst gas mileage was from Panaca, NV to Tonopah, NV. No one on the road and mostly over 110. (degrees?) 34.64 mpg, 205.7 miles, 5.947 gallons. That was during a 7800 mile loop trip to Vermont with WFO 5 in Reno on the way home. Average mpg for the trip was 46.26 and four tank fulls recorded over 50.79 mpg. Very spirited riding will usually net me 37-39 mpg. If I ride with my wife like last month's 3500 mile ride, I averaged 47.75 mpg.

If you want to trade bikes and do a couple tank fulls, (500m) I will be glad to exchange them for the experience. We would have to trade seats as my Russell is too small for you. My engine, header and mufflers are stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tracked every fuel stop via log book on my '04 since I bought it. I've never gotten below 40 mpg. I usually get 42 mpg during daily commuting, and 48-52 mpg while touring. Even last summer during warp speed (extended 90+ mph) portions of Nevada I got about 46 mpg with full bags, tank bag, and large bag attached to rear seat.

If you're getting 32 mpg, somethin' ain't right. :eek:

Edit: I just looked at the log from my last long distance trip, 13 fillups, average = 49.6 mpg. One fillup showed 297 miles on the trip meter. :yahoo:

We were rarely under 90, except in the twisties.
I'm shocked--shocked!--that someone would ride a 145+ HP motorcycle and not obey the posted speed limits at all times.

I find this lack of respect for our democratically enacted laws quite disturbing, I assure you.

You kids today, with your iPods, and your cell phones, and your fast motorcycles...I truly despair for our future.

ponyfool,

Thanks for the ride report!! I would swap my FJR for a few miles to try out the C14.

How about you get your buddies impressions of the swap. I'd like to read what his thoughts were.

cadman
Well, let me start with saying I've ridden a few FJR's, and find it a great bike worthy of the loyal following that it has. Let me provide a little background.....I'm 54 years old, been riding for over 40 years and have owned about 60 bikes (maybe a third were dirt bikes)......I'm not brand loyal but have owned mostly Japanese bikes and maybe a few more Honda's than anything else. Most have been performance oriented bikes (R-1's, RR's etc) I've done a little racing of different sorts. I just got the C14 and have about 2,200 miles on it. Based on the C14 forum (gotta love the internet!), I almost immediately modified the bike with a 2 Brothers slip-on, PCIII (loaded with the economy fuel map) and I removed the secondary intake butterfly valves. Based on dyno charts provided by other forum members, it should be producing in the range of 150 RWHP and 100 FTLBST.

In comparing the two bikes it would seem likely that Kawasaki engineers carefully studied the FJR and probably set it as the target to beat. Obviously they had the benefit of the newest technologies in developing the C14. In the critical and non-subjective areas of comparison, I guess I would have to say the C14 exceeds (if not substantially) the performance parameters of the venerable FJR. Engine output (not surprising since its a little bigger and newer) is noticeably greater on the C14. It is also noticeably smoother in its operation. The gearbox operation is smoother and more refined feeling and the addition of an overdrive 6th gear was a significant improvement. The MPG performance was a bit of a (pleasant) surprise but may be a fairly even performance between the bikes. The FJR's larger fuel cell is a definite plus. Both bikes handle reasonably well for their size, but the C14 has a fair amount more ground clearance than the FJR, a really important feature, if you value such things. Beyond the non subjective areas of comparison, both bike are very nice and each have some advantages. In the areas that matter to me, the C14 wins pretty handily in a head to head comparo. That said, I fully expect a "C14 beater" is already on the drawing board of Yamaha (or Honda or whoever).....it's the nature of the business.
Nsrrider,

Your review seems very biased considering your a C14 owner on a FJR forum and you have only 2 posts (Don't seem to know much about the FJR)...

Before I start. I will say that I like the C14 and think it is a very nice bike. It is my second choice for a sport tourer.

However, Lets keep it real;

Having road and tuned both (my Modded FJR and my good friends Modded C14 from your C14 forum)...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...hl=wicked+webby

In all fairness... The C14 has shown no performance advantage (in the modified state, such as yours, against a modified FJR). Now stock to stock, I would agree that the C14 does have a slightly better 1/4 mi time but gets beat up on roll-on performance by the FJR. It doesn't have better technology (if you consider better technology having to spend time and money to trick the bike into not being limited) or such a larger engine (a whole 49 cc difference).

As far as Kawasaki reaching to out do the FJR...They tried but swung a miss. Wish they would have done better.

Kawasaki did design the C14 with a 6th gear and a tire pressure monitoring system. Which I might add is very sweet! Hope this raises the bar with regards to these items.

HOWEVER..

They went cheap on:

The re-use of the ZX14's small gas tank.

The front suspension not being fully adjustable.

The seat(s) not being adjustable.

The handlebars not being adjustable.

The lack of a radiator guard.

The lack of all the finished plastic having a coat of paint.

Not to mention the expensive and more often valve maintenance schedule (15K instead of 26k on the FJR).

All that being said. The C14 is a nice begining for Kawasaki's new sport touring platform but is in need of some upgrades for it's Gen II. As the FJR already has done with its Gen II FJR.

WW

ponyfool,

Thanks for the ride report!! I would swap my FJR for a few miles to try out the C14.

How about you get your buddies impressions of the swap. I'd like to read what his thoughts were.

cadman
Well, let me start with saying I've ridden a few FJR's, and find it a great bike worthy of the loyal following that it has. Let me provide a little background.....I'm 54 years old, been riding for over 40 years and have owned about 60 bikes (maybe a third were dirt bikes)......I'm not brand loyal but have owned mostly Japanese bikes and maybe a few more Honda's than anything else. Most have been performance oriented bikes (R-1's, RR's etc) I've done a little racing of different sorts. I just got the C14 and have about 2,200 miles on it. Based on the C14 forum (gotta love the internet!), I almost immediately modified the bike with a 2 Brothers slip-on, PCIII (loaded with the economy fuel map) and I removed the secondary intake butterfly valves. Based on dyno charts provided by other forum members, it should be producing in the range of 150 RWHP and 100 FTLBST.

In comparing the two bikes it would seem likely that Kawasaki engineers carefully studied the FJR and probably set it as the target to beat. Obviously they had the benefit of the newest technologies in developing the C14. In the critical and non-subjective areas of comparison, I guess I would have to say the C14 exceeds (if not substantially) the performance parameters of the venerable FJR. Engine output (not surprising since its a little bigger and newer) is noticeably greater on the C14. It is also noticeably smoother in its operation. The gearbox operation is smoother and more refined feeling and the addition of an overdrive 6th gear was a significant improvement. The MPG performance was a bit of a (pleasant) surprise but may be a fairly even performance between the bikes. The FJR's larger fuel cell is a definite plus. Both bikes handle reasonably well for their size, but the C14 has a fair amount more ground clearance than the FJR, a really important feature, if you value such things. Beyond the non subjective areas of comparison, both bike are very nice and each have some advantages. In the areas that matter to me, the C14 wins pretty handily in a head to head comparo. That said, I fully expect a "C14 beater" is already on the drawing board of Yamaha (or Honda or whoever).....it's the nature of the business.

I just returned in late June from a week long ride in Colorado with friends and the leader of the group had a C-14. I have an 08 FJR in both of our opinions, both bikes are very close to evenly matched in stock configuration. There were several times we had the opportunity to open them up and the FJR stayed right with the C-14 all the way to 150+ (dont hate on me: radar detectors, open roads forever...) I could not have passed nor could he have pulled away if either of us wanted to. The pace was set and I had no trouble keeping up and keeping safe spacing at those kind of speeds. The other bikes in the group could not but that was a different story.

I expected the C-14 to really outrun the FJR and it did not as all of the articles I read said it would. I chose the FJR over the Connie based on asthetics. Both were high on my list and I chose the FJR based on fit and finish and the fact that it is just a much better looking and more refined bike than the C-14 with acceptable performance. Any of the three Japanese ST bikes would have been fine with me performance wise so I chose the prettiest girl at the dance....

I am not trying to start a war, just stating what I have seen in person when running both bikes really hard.

Well Pony,
I never get that great of mpg when I ride anything either!! I think the weight can matter, how much... I don't know. Mainly the wrist. I have seen an big difference with fuels.. Up by North here in MN I can get the Non-oxy fuel with no ethanol.. I literary get drastically better mpg's with it over the standard MN 10% mix.

WW

All you guys getting upper 40's etc and even into the 50's, all I can say is, what did you do to get that? Or, am I just a fat bastard with webbed arms and legs that causes the coefficient of friction with the air to be dramatically increased comparatively?
No, even with your weight "advantage" (like how I spun that to a positive..? ;) ) the mileage you're getting on your bike doesn't make sense. Even for as agressive as we were riding out to Golden (and certainly on the way home, eh Taff?), I averaged 42.5 mpg (must be those FZ1 mirrors...). Plugs..? Injectors..? Hard to say, but your bike never sounded like it was "off" in any way (particularly when you, ehem, stretched the 'ol gal's legs a bit on that stretch out in Western Colorado...).

Regarding the C14, it was a serious contender when I was bike shopping last year. The 2 things that kept me from buying it were 1) that fugly exhaust (which I know I could have replaced), and 2) no dealer was willing to cut a deal on one then.
me ride phasttttt, no way :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I just returned in late June from a week long ride in Colorado with friends and the leader of the group had a C-14. I have an 08 FJR in both of our opinions, both bikes are very close to evenly matched in stock configuration. There were several times we had the opportunity to open them up and the FJR stayed right with the C-14 all the way to 150+ (dont hate on me: radar detectors, open roads forever...) I could not have passed nor could he have pulled away if either of us wanted to. The pace was set and I had no trouble keeping up and keeping safe spacing at those kind of speeds. The other bikes in the group could not but that was a different story.

I expected the C-14 to really outrun the FJR and it did not as all of the articles I read said it would. I chose the FJR over the Connie based on asthetics. Both were high on my list and I chose the FJR based on fit and finish and the fact that it is just a much better looking and more refined bike than the C-14 with acceptable performance. Any of the three Japanese ST bikes would have been fine with me performance wise so I chose the prettiest girl at the dance....

I am not trying to start a war, just stating what I have seen in person when running both bikes really hard.

200cs,

EXACTLY!!

WW

After NAFO, I went south through the desert, over to the Cali coast, then up to Red Bluff where a friend of from Portland rode down on his new Kawasaki Concours 14.
His has been modified a bit in that the "inner butterflies"? have been removed, he has a PCIII and a Two Brothers Slip on.

First off, is all of the comments about the bike being butter smooth are dead on accurate. It was amazingly smooth. Enough about that.

Secondly, 6th gear. Say what you want about the FJR not having or not needing a 6th gear, but I want one now more than ever. Just having the bike purr at 100mph instead of whine makes all the difference. Additionally, we stayed neck and neck during our entire ride, passing at the same time, cruising at the same time, and twisties at comparable speeds as well, yet when we went to fill up our tanks, he consistently needed 1/2 to a full gallon less gas than I did. That may not seem like much, but here's how it broke down: Approximately 175 miles between tanks. He would require only 4.166 gallons, roughly 42mpg average. I would require 5.1 gallons, or roughly 34mpg. That difference alone makes the range of the smaller tanked C14 roughly equal the range of the larger tanked FJR. Maybe if I had a PCIII and slip ons my fuel economy would increase. And I'm not talking about displayed fuel economy, I'm talking about real time, mileage vs gallons used.

Thirdly, while seats are subjective, and most people are never truly satisfied with stock seats, the C14's is more like a Corbin than the FJR's. It is hard, wide, and somewhat comfortable after a few miles (it was very awkward when I first got on it). Having said that, I actually really like the stock FJR seat, and am comfortable with it, even on long trips.

Fourthly, the dash layout was very disappointing to me. Granted, this is a subjective issue as well, but the entire cockpit area of the C14 was not nearly as refined as the FJR's. Also, the entire dash was lower than the FJR's, which I didn't like either.

Finally, we thought we didn't have much room for stuff on the FJR? The C14 offers NO space under the seat. While they have more room under the fairing for things, there is little to no usable space on the C14.

It is a very respectable bike. And while I am not a brand specific kinda guy, I simply like my FJR better. Maybe it's because I'm just more used to it? I don't know.
Hi Scott,

Interesting debate.

Before installing my PC111, "Cherry" delivered approximately 34-38 MPG.

After the installation of the PC111, and subsequent dyno, I would say that I now average (riding within 10 mph of speed limit, cough cough) about 39-41 MPG. As Marty pointed out in his post, on the way back home from NAFO he averaged around 42 MPG, I was fairly close to that!

Seems that the ECU versus injector timing, sans the PC111, clearly makes the fuel map hit and miss. Being able to "alter" the fuel blocks (around 3000 rpm is the lean portion of the stock fuel map)when the bike is on a dyno, with the PC111 installed, enables optimum stoichiometric ratio across all RPM ranges. The only problem is that the calculated "average MPG" from the on board puter, with the PC111 installed, is not correct in it's readout.

I did test drive the C-14 before I bought the FJR, but for reasons that you stated, I decided the feejer had more to offer. The front rotors on the C-14 are causing concern for some owners in that they "warp" really early in some cases. Lastly, the rear brake caliper has been problamatic.

Hope all the family is well, send my best to the OH.

Taff. :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping:

Just looked at my September issue of Motor Cyclist Magazine. The Kawasaki C14 picked as Motorcycle Of The Year winner for Best Touring Bike. They write: "So you've got to get someplace faraway fast. You've got lots of options, but if you're preferred means of transport is a single track vehicle, none is better than the Kawasaki Concours 14." (emphasis is mine) I still think the 2009 or 2010 MOTY could be the latest/greatest Yamaha or Honda.

Pony,
Might want to get the mpg facts checked on the C14 again. My good friend from the C14 forum gets worse mileage with his C14 even comparing 6th to our 5th. His bike is highly tuned as is mine. He is not very happy with the bikes poor range..For him, usually around 170 miles.

I agree that the C14 is a nice ride. The lack of underseat area is pretty crappy.

WW
Mileage was calculated by us being side by side at the pump and seeing each other's fuel purchases. Mileage ridden divided by gallons pumped. At every gas station, he pumped less gas than I did. Granted, I weigh a solid 100 lbs more than him, and my bike was fully loaded, but it was a huge difference.

I am a very big guy and if I keep it legal I get in the mid 40's. If I push it harder I get low 40's to high 30 and this is calculated by gallons nad miles driven not trip computer.

Finally got around to adjusting Crzy8's 'walves', mpg went from 32-34 to:

NAFO072508038.jpg

and if you believe this is true... :unsure: